PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Oklahoma

mudbone
02-23-2013, 07:14 PM
My name is Parrish Trevett, I currently live in Broken Arrow, OK. I happened upon your forum after finding a link to it on the Climb-Utah website. I have been to researching canyoneering in preparation for a trip to Zion in June with a couple of other guys from the outdoor club I belong to. Up until now I have been backpacking in Oklahoma and Arkansas, and I'm pretty excited to see some new terrain!

accadacca
02-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Welcome to the forum Parrish. :cool2:

jman
02-23-2013, 08:39 PM
When the time gets closer to your date, post again as a invite and I'm sure a local or any of us northern Utah guys wouldn't mind assisting, joining you (as that's the best way to learn IE hands on).

What canyons are you planning on doing?

JP
02-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Welcome! :2thumbs:

mudbone
02-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I'm not sure of all of the canyons we will visit, but we are applying for permits for the Subway and Mystery canyons. We are leaving Tulsa on June 8th to arrive in Zion on the 10th and will stay 5 or 6 days. We have been practicing rappelling at a park nearby called Robber's Cave, there is an 80-foot cliff there to rappel from.

Deathcricket
02-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Nice! You'll do fine then. FYI Subway and Mystery are pretty much the hardest permits to get for some reason. Nice canyons but the others here are just as good. In fact I would go as far to say Subway without the Das Boot is a bit over-rated for the trouble that permits are worth, and it has a really tough/long exit hike. Don't get me wrong though it's gorgeous, just that there are better canyons out here if you only have a couple days and wanna hit up the best. Put a Keyhole/Pine Creek combo trip on your radar IMO. That one is about the best bang for the buck.

Oh and welcome to the site. When the time gets closer, for sure post up an invite and hopefully some of us locals can tag along with you. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
02-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Welcome to bogley!

Iceaxe
02-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Orderville from the top down is a great substitute if you can't get a subway or mystery permit.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

mudbone
03-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Sounds great, I'll add those to the list.

Niner
04-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Well I'll be...I'm new here too, and have kin in Broken Arrow, Mounds, and Tulsa.

California guy here, my folks came here a generation ago similar to The Grapes of Wrath story.