PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Coyote Buttes North

maarten.1975
02-16-2013, 12:07 AM
Hi guys and girls,

During my last trip in January, I was lucky and got myself a permit for the Coyote Buttes North area again. Having been there before, I decided this time to put the focus on the 'side-areas', next to the Wave. Below a TR with some pictures I like a lot. Some of the pictures are combined/ welded panorama-pictures. Too bad they can not be shown in full size, the size here on the forum hardly gives room to the pictures to show their beauty.

The 8th of January, I got up quite early, packed my stuff and drove to the House Rock Valley Road. I had won my permit on the internet, so I was all ready. Having arrived just after the darkness left, I hiked in and I could just see the sun come up in the far distance of the Vermilion Cliffs area, giving the rock even intenser colors.....

Continuing South along the Buttes towards the Wave, the hike appears shorter and easier every trip. The view was fascinating and beautiful, as always...

After arriving at the Wave, I gave its surroundings a short visit, even though it still looked quite cold because the sun-light hadn't reached it yet. What a fantastic environment, it still is and will always be....

After some time here, I decided to climb up to the top of the butte/ mountain behind the Wave. A nice climb, finding my route upwards wasn't that difficult or dangerous, apart from being exposed to the height. On the top, Top Arch was a great arch to 'hug', especially once the sun had reached the Wave, below in the distance.

The view of the Wave from above was new to me, and very beautiful.

From the top, almost every view in every direction was fantastic.....
Looking North...
And looking South...

Continuing on the top, next I headed for Melody Arch.... and what a wow-effect that was, unbelievably beautiful and impressive...

Looking through the window

Next I started heading back, after enjoying the Alcove(s) on the top...

Once down below, I continued my trip passing the Second Wave, beautiful as always.

Descending until the bottom, I returned to the main area through the 'red-colored canyon', I think it is called Sand Cove.

And from there, the day was coming to and end, I enjoyed a little bit more of the Wave and its direct surroundings...

And eventually I decided to go back.
A great trip, seen some very beautiful new area's.
It always hurts leaving this area, not knowing when to return.
I was leaving however with another great experience!
I hope to be back a.s.a.p.

Thanks to Bo and Tanya: your book helped me a lot to find the exact locations of the Arches and Alcove on the top!

accadacca
02-16-2013, 07:10 AM
Killer man...successful trip! Bo_Beck and tanya's book does the trick! :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
02-16-2013, 07:56 AM
One of these days I just have to do the wave.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

tanya
02-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Great pictures! I see you found both arches, did you find the dino tracks?