PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Internet Trolls Exist? [Infographic]

accadacca
02-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Interesting... :popcorn:

--

As you've probably discovered, there are people lurking all over the web who find great joy in humiliating and attacking others. This insightful infographic describes the inner workings of Internet trolls, explaining why they decide to spend their online time in attack mode. Tapping the expertise of psychologists and experts, it offers solid reasons why this scourge of the Internet continues.

We all like to think that most people mean well, and are inherently good. Even if that's true, the infographic shows us instances where even some good people can quickly turn bad, all because of a variety of situations related to mob behavior.

When people think they're anonymous, they do things they otherwise wouldn't. When conversations aren't happening in real time, some people feel like they can quickly dash off a negative comment and then immediately escape altogether. And when people get all wrapped up in their narcissism and rebelliousness, they might be more likely to pick on others they don't even know.

This infographic, presented by bestpsychologyschoolsonline.com, concludes with University of Central Lancashire lecturer Claire Hardaker offering ways to prevail over Internet trolls. She combed through nine years' worth of unmoderated comments on an Internet forum, and suggests ways to frustrate

Deathcricket
02-12-2013, 09:01 AM
I usually enjoy infographics but that one didn't make much sense to me. I think internet trolls exist simply because of different demographics slammed together in a mish mash provides a possibly volatile environment and some people just like to watch the world burn. Here is an example of my trolling.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?66795-Cat-Hijack&p=526335&viewfull=1#post526335

Whoah you posted a link with an F bomb in it, and didn't even rage. Nice going dude! high five! :2thumbs:

To me it's hilarious that a conservative person who is known for being a "censor policeman" is the only guy in a 5 page thread to accidently post an F-bomb. clearly something he would get upset for others doing purposefully. And I posted purely for the point of trolling him. Granted I'm not a clever troll, nor did I get much traction. But still a troll nonetheless. In real life, neither of us would have anything to do with each other since we have nothing in common, but if he did this in real life, like let's say we were hiking together and he stubbed his toe and let slip an F-bomb. I will still tease/troll him about it mercilessly for a short period of time. Anonymity on the net has nothing to do with how I would behave.

It's being forced to be around people you wouldn't normally even associate with that brings out the troll in us. Perceived hypocrisy, religious zealots, easily offended, forcing your views on others, are all considered by me to be weaknesses. And i tend to enjoy exploiting weaknesses in others. It's amusing and nothing more. Chaos created for the sake of entertainment.

The facebook example is a great one. So many times I see people post the most retarded stuff and exploit it for amusement. My sister in law is a non stop receiver of my trolling, but I see these people in real life and my behavior doesn't alter. To this day though Sombeech's comment in a Toy Story thread about "being sad that Woody died" is the best. No matter how hard I try it will never be topped.

rockgremlin
02-12-2013, 10:12 AM
FAKE.

accadacca
02-12-2013, 01:51 PM
FAKE.
Whatever TROLL! :roll: :haha:

rockgremlin
02-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Here is an example of my trolling.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?66795-Cat-Hijack&p=526335&viewfull=1#post526335

And here's an example of my trolling:

http://i.imgur.com/FFkZK.jpg

Deathcricket
02-13-2013, 08:23 AM
And here's an example of my trolling:

http://i.imgur.com/FFkZK.jpg

Bows to the masta* :hail2thechief::hail2thechief::hail2thechief: