PDA

View Full Version : Sheath

tomertim
02-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Not the best photos, but they'll have to work

I love my CRKT knives, but hate their sheaths. At least with the Ultima (the M16 does not have one), the knife is awesome and weighs in at 8 3/4 ounces.

Unfortunately the web site claims their sheath weighs in at 5.7 ounces, but this is not the case. I could handle the weight if the sheath wasn't so bulky, and took up so much space in my pack.

Long story short, anyone know of a sheath maker/designer here in the Salt Lake area that will assist in designing something more appeasing? I'm open to type of material (maybe not leather).

Thanks

Rob L
02-10-2013, 03:19 PM
tomertim,

There are other than US viewers to this site, and in many other countries (although possibly in the US ), a sheath is a contraceptive (also known as a french letter).

Maybe renaming the thread as "Knife sheath" or similar might avoid an international incident.

The purpose is of course the same, that being to protect the lady from the pointed end. :twisted:

tomertim
02-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Although that could turn out to be a interesting thread.

Duly noted. Although when I hit the edit button I don't see the option of changing the title.

phatch
02-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Kydex isn't too hard to form with materials you likely have on hand. Order small sheets of kydex from places like texasknife.com. They also sell foam for a DIY press, or a complete press as well.

Basically heat the trimmed down sheet of kydex in your oven, quickly form it around your knife--or use two sheets if you want to eyelets down both sides of the blade. Put it on the foam in what ever press you've devised (the quick hand squeeze bar clamps work pretty well) and clamp it up. Let it sit in there for 30 minutes or so. Release it andc heck the fit, sketch out how you'd trim it up if you like how it formed. If you don't like the form, put it back in the oven and you can reshape it after it warms up again. You can tweak the form with a paint removal gun applying localized heat, but that's a little tricky.

Drill some holes where you want, mostly for mounting points, insert eylets and set them. Chicago screws work too, but eyelets offer a more finished look and more options.

You'll need to consider an eyelet near the tip to prevent the knife pushing through the sheath if fallen on or other pressure situations. Experiment with one of your clamps to find a point near the hilt that gives you the retention pressure you want in the sheath. Then install an eyelet there to hold things tight.

If you want to work with Tekloks or other mounting systems, then you'll have some other spacing issues with placing eyelets so that it mounts how you want it.

Here's more details http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/general-survival/the-1-hour-custom-kydex-knife-sheath-in-your-kitchen/ Also search youtube, there are some videos.

There are custom sheath makers out there too, but you'll pay as much or more for their work than you did for a CRKT.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/838494-Sheath-Makers-and-Such-of-Blade-Forums is a good starting list.

JP
02-10-2013, 04:08 PM
There are other than US viewers to this site, and in many other countries...
In which the other countries should understand that one little fact, this is an American site with American verbiage :haha:

accadacca
02-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Although that could turn out to be a interesting thread.

Duly noted. Although when I hit the edit button I don't see the option of changing the title.

Hit "edit post" then "go advanced" :2thumbs:

BruteForce
02-10-2013, 04:38 PM
I too am a fan of CRKT. I have a few of the SF variant pocket (assisted opening) knives and they've survived brutal conditions and are superb!

DOSS
02-11-2013, 05:45 AM
Tyler at www.stealthgearusa.com (http://www.stealthgearusa.com/) makes gun holsters and may be able to take on your project as well.. could be something of a demand he would do it.. can't hurt to try and he is local :)

rockgremlin
02-11-2013, 07:13 AM
Great looking knife. Perfect for a carry-on bag....

Rob L
02-11-2013, 11:16 AM
<snip >...this is an American site with American verbiage :haha:

And just where does it say it's American, may I ask? :naughty: . Nowadays a dot com site is valid all around the world; I suppose that's why an Englishman called it the WorldWideWeb. :2thumbs:

Rob L
02-11-2013, 11:24 AM
And no-one comments upon a "French Letter"? I suppose we'll wait for the Louisiana members to spout forth.

JP
02-11-2013, 11:38 AM
And just where does it say it's American, may I ask? :naughty: . Nowadays a dot com site is valid all around the world; I suppose that's why an Englishman called it the WorldWideWeb. :2thumbs:
There's a few clues :lol8: And, we don't have that .us after the site or is it just understood that it's us :haha: So, understanding where you're surfing on this world wide web will help you understand that the world may have a few different meanings to words :cool2: It's not our responsibility to edit our speech :2thumbs:

And no-one comments upon a "French Letter"? I suppose we'll wait for the Louisiana members to spout forth.
We ride bareback :roflol::roflol::roflol:

Rob L
02-11-2013, 12:41 PM
We ride bareback

:roflol:

rockgremlin
02-11-2013, 03:37 PM

That's a funny comment right there. C'mon fellow Americans...don't you know your history? (Google: Louisiana Purchase)