PDA

View Full Version : Needles District of Canyonlands Activities with Snow

boulderrr
02-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Hello all! My girlfriend and I will be heading to stay near the Needles District of Canyonlands for President's day weekend for my birthday. We went on the same weekend last year and got VERY lucky with the weather. While last year's snow season in the area was abysmal, it led to some favorable winter desert exploring conditions as there was barely any snow to be found. We did the Chessler Park / Joint Trail loop and the Big Spring Canyon to Squaw Canyon loop.

It looks like we won't be quite as lucky with the weather this year, though I'm not complaining because I'll take as much snow as we can get! We were hoping to do the hike from from Squaw Flat to Peekaboo, but I've heard that it can be treacherous if there is snow on the ground. Looking at the current conditions for the Needles, it appears that a lot of the roads are snow covered or impassable whereas last year they were all clear. This leads me to believe that there will be a reasonable amount of snow on a lot of the potential hikes.

For anyone who has done the hike to Peekaboo, do you agree that it would be too dangerous to attempt with snow? Thinking back, the Chessler Park loop would probably be safe enough in the snow. I doubt that the Big Spring to Squaw Canyon hike would be though.

Are there any hikes, non-technical slot canyons, or other activities you can suggest in or near the Needles district for when there is snow on the ground? We plan to bring our snowshoes just in case, but I doubt there will be enough depth to need them. One idea I had was the loop to the north of the Chessler Park/Joint Trail loop, which goes by the Devil's Kitchen.

We're open to wandering/exploring through the desert (with GPS and navigation skills), so it doesn't necessarily have to be a trail hike. We are staying between the turn off to the Needles and Monticello so are looking for things to do anywhere in the general Needles area that will be possible and safe enough if there is snow on the ground.

Thanks in advance... Can't wait to get back to the desert in a week!

Scott P
02-07-2013, 02:52 PM
I've done the Chessler Park Loop in the snow, so it's not that bad. Not sure about the others as I don't think I've done them in the snow.

One good winter hike is Elephant Hill to the Colorado River though Red Lake Canyon. It's the lowest trail in the park and winter is probably the best time to do it.

boulderrr
02-07-2013, 04:07 PM
One good winter hike is Elephant Hill to the Colorado River though Red Lake Canyon. It's the lowest trail in the park and winter is probably the best time to do it.

Thanks! I see that the Elephant Hill to the Colorado River through Red Lake Canyon hike is 18.8 miles round trip. In your opinion, is this hike still worth it if you don't make it all the way to the Colorado River? I'm thinking our one-day limit is probably ~10 miles.

Scott P
02-07-2013, 06:36 PM
I see that the Elephant Hill to the Colorado River through Red Lake Canyon hike is 18.8 miles round trip. In your opinion, is this hike still worth it if you don't make it all the way to the Colorado River? I'm thinking our one-day limit is probably ~10 miles.

Oh, sorry. For some reason I thought you were looking for an overnight hike. It would be extremely long hike in a day. The first half is interesting, but you would be on a jeep road.

If you only have one day and don't have a hard core 4wd, Chessler Park Loop is better. Still the elevation is moderately high, so there will be more snow there than at lower elevations.

boulderrr
02-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Oh, sorry. For some reason I thought you were looking for an overnight hike. It would be extremely long hike in a day. The first half is interesting, but you would be on a jeep road.

If you only have one day and don't have a hard core 4wd, Chessler Park Loop is better. Still the elevation is moderately high, so there will be more snow there than at lower elevations.

Would love to do an overnighter, but it will still be a bit nippy out! We have a few days in the area so are looking for several things to do to keep ourselves occupied in case of snow.

boulderrr
02-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Anyone have any more suggestions? Heading out there on Thursday and latest reports show there is still a good bit of snow on the ground. Thank you! :)

boulderrr
02-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Also, we have just procured two pairs of microspikes from a friend, which we'll bring along, in case anyone thinks that opens up some possibilities.

Scott P
02-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Maybe Confluence Overlook? Latest report from the NPS says that there is significant snow in the Needles. About the microspikes though, they might scratch the slickrock up.

boulderrr
02-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Maybe Confluence Overlook? Latest report from the NPS says that there is significant snow in the Needles. About the microspikes though, they might scratch the slickrock up.

We were only planning on putting them on if we get into situations with lots of snow/ice where we really need them. Definitely not planning to just hike around with them on.