View Full Version : 10 Must-Have Survival Tools

accadacca
02-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Do you agree??? :popcorn:

http://www.travelizmo.com/archives/survival-tin-centre.jpg

Let

Glockguy
02-06-2013, 08:33 AM
I guess it depends on where you might think you may need these items. I would add some cash and a whistle.

rockgremlin
02-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Isn't that plastic orange thing in the middle a whistle? I agree with everything EXCEPT the button and thread. What does that have to do with survival?

BruteForce
02-06-2013, 09:42 AM
I should just take a photo of the container sitting under the backseat of my truck; it has everything I'd need to survive including MRE's, camp stove, fuel, fire making stuff, hand / foot / body warmers, knife, machete, whistle, flares, ammo, blanket, socks, gloves and on and on a.....

AJ
02-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Needle and thread (floss can be used in a pinch) can be used to stitch up a wound, repair otherwise useless gear, etc. I keep some in my med kit, which is part of my survival kit.

The buttons I could do without. ;)

Iceaxe
02-06-2013, 12:31 PM
That's a pretty good basic kit listed. I also carry a small bottle of prescription pain killers. Around the bottle I wrap about 20' of duct tape. It's a toss up which gets used the most, the duct tape or my knife.

FYI - I once used duct tape to suture up a really wicked cut. When I finally reached the ER the doctor had a good laugh but also mentioned I did a great first aid job.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Byron
02-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Good kit, just make sure you have butterfly bandages as well. I was backpacked down at a remote beach in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, about a 3 hour hike in, when an eel shot out of a hole and shredded my thumb when I reached into a tide pool to pluck out a shell. Two deep slices, down to the bone, like a razor...clean slashes.

It needed stitches, bad. But it was late in the afternoon and I used the butterflys to pull it all together...worked great.

Also, I always pack extra food. I have virtually zero body fat and when my body needs fuel, it needs it NOW or it's bonk time. I try to carry an extra thousand calories, at least. That'll get you a number of hours of energy.

accadacca
02-06-2013, 05:22 PM
What about a gun?

Scott Card
02-06-2013, 05:35 PM
I agree with everything EXCEPT the button and thread. What does that have to do with survival?You've never had a button fall off before a big meeting? Noob....

:haha:

Old Ranger
02-06-2013, 05:41 PM
What about a gun?

Always.... Only needed it once, but it saved my butt.

tomertim
02-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Overall good, but to be a little more specific

1. Fixed blade knife for sure
2. Pain killers
3. Cotton balls/Vaseline in empty prescription bottle
4. Condom (preferably for the first use that came to mind but great for other purposes)
5. Marking ribbon
6. Dental floss works so many wonders
7. Duct tape wrapped around a mini-mag light
8. Some sort of high energy bar

accadacca
02-06-2013, 08:14 PM
If we are going to keep throwing in duct tape, might as well bring some bailing wire too. :lol8:

bowjunkie
02-07-2013, 06:24 AM
add a roll of vet wrap in there ,works great for splints slings and compression bandages

nefariousdeeds
02-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Sterno
Strike anywhere waterproof matches
Painkillers - Ibuprofen and Tylenol
Whistle (the nice orange whistles have a compass and they come apart to store your matches in them)
Mirror
Tape (I use fabric tape)
1 Sam splint
Knife
Needle - Sinew/Thread
Solar Blanket/Poncho

Edit : I got up and went and double checked my stuff after reading this, I also have batterys and a headlamp. Water tablets.