View Full Version : 2013 BYU Football

accadacca
01-29-2013, 05:39 AM
Tougher or about the same as last year?

---

Aug. 31

Iceaxe
01-29-2013, 06:49 AM
Looks like a nice schdule, except it would be better to have the cupcakes at the front end like all the other major programs.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Scott Card
01-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Much tougher than last year. This schedule makes me nervous particularly with the turmoil on the offensive side of the ball. It will be interesting.

Kent K25
02-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Definitely tougher

rockgremlin
02-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Wow, that's a gauntlet! Interesting to see how they come out in the end. They'll probably beat Utah...:cry1:

Iceaxe
02-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Wow, that's a gauntlet!

I don't know if I'd call it a gauntlet, more like a typical BCS schedule.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

tomertim
02-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Here is the way to early/guestimate

@Virginia WIN
Texas LOSS
Utah LOSS
Middle Tennessee State WIN
@Utah St. LOSS
Georgia Tech WIN (at home is the only reason)
Houston LOSS (on the road following a tough home win against G.T.
Boise State LOSS
@Wisconsin WIN (BYU's one big one of the season)
Idaho State WIN
@Notre Dame LOSS
@Nevada LOSS (Too much to go to Wisconsin UNR, and Nevada 3 out of 4 weeks. Also, Reno is tough this late in the season)

5-7, and that's a generous 5-7

Deuce
08-13-2013, 11:27 AM
BYU took a HUGE hit yesterday..... Defensive backfield, which was already a question, lost their best player for the year.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/56725365-88/byu-johnson-season-cornerback.html.csp (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/56725365-88/byu-johnson-season-cornerback.html.csp)

By Jay Drew
The Salt Lake Tribune

Provo • The cornerback situation for BYU this season has gone from scary to an outright nightmare for coach Bronco Mendenhall’s otherwise stellar-looking defense.

During the Cougars’ first practice Monday, projected starting cornerback Jordan Johnson suffered a torn ACL in his knee while he was returning a kickoff. The injury happened when Johnson planted his foot wrong in the grass at the outdoor practice facility and was not from contact.

An MRI revealed the tear and BYU football spokesperson Brett Pyne confirmed that the junior from Springfield, Mass., will miss the entire season.

Johnson, who was referred to BYU by former basketball great Danny Ainge, general manager of the Boston Celtics, redshirted in 2010, saw significant time in 2011 and became a valuable member of BYU’s defense which was ranked No. 3 nationally in fewest yards allowed in 2012.

Johnson started in 12 of 13 games in 2012, making 48 tackles, 15 pass breakups and an interception.

Johnson’s injury means that when sophomore David Watford, who on Monday was named Virginia’s starting quarterback for the opener against BYU, lines up behind center at Scott Stadium on Aug. 31 to take his first snap since the 2011 season he could see true freshman Dallin Leavitt on one side of BYU’s secondary and junior college transfer Robertson Daniel on the other.

The 6-foot, 205-pound Leavitt was preparing for his senior season at Portland’s Central Catholic High School in Oregon at this time last year, and Daniel sat out the entire 2012 season at DeAnza Community College in Cupertino, Calif., to work on his academics. He hasn’t played in a real football game for nearly 20 months.

"Sure it is possible," BYU defensive backs coach Nick Howell said last week. "We are going to coach [Leavitt] up and get him ready. He’s a good football player. We wouldn’t have recruited him if we didn’t think he could play right away. I don’t want players who don’t want to play right away. And I don’t want to recruit players who can’t play right away. If they can’t then we aren’t recruiting the right guys."

On Monday, Mendenhall spoke to reporters before news of Johnson’s injury — which happened before the 30-minute media viewing period at the end of practice — had been released. He said that Daniel and and Leavitt were in a heated battle to be the starting boundary corner and Daniel had a slight lead because he is a bit faster. Now, Daniel becomes the favorite to be Johnson’s replacement.

"They’ve both done a good job making plays," Howell said. "That’s where we are right now."

Deuce
08-13-2013, 02:19 PM
BYU just lost another corner today....Dallin Leavitt, possible ACL. Word is the Leavitt kid tweeted out that he wasn't hurt....for whatever that is worth. Being this was first listed as a hip, then ACL, then story taken down....so maybe he is all well and good...

accadacca
08-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Interesting. So who had predictions on BYU's record? :popcorn:

Iceaxe
08-14-2013, 11:23 AM
I predict they will go to some small bowl that no one cares about ;-)

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Deuce
08-26-2013, 09:13 AM
Crickets from Cougar fans..... Would guess that will continue if they lose, but everyone will come in for chatter if they are winning games.....:ne_nau: BYU is a 3 point favorite Saturday.....I'll be interested to see how they play. OL is a big concern(as is the defensive backfield), if you don't have an OL....tough to move the ball. UVa is reportedly a power running team, wonder if that plans into BYU's hands, vs a pass happy team.

accadacca
08-26-2013, 03:20 PM
BYU has one heck of a running back. I imagine they will run that horse as long as its working. You might see the QB running too....which means BORING football. :facepalm1:

Scott Card
08-27-2013, 09:59 AM
That BYU QB is the fastest player on the team. Yeah, he will run.... for first downs and touch downs. BYU will win 10, maybe all of their games and will probably be National Champions. Heck, we haven't played a game yet so why not go big. We are all winners this time of year!:lol8: And Acca, boring??? I don't think so. You clearly have not been following BYU summer smack and puffery. :haha: A new offence is rolling out in a few days. Go fast go hard. If I remember right they are going to be trying to have a play every 20 seconds. I do have high hopes for BYU but don't we all for our team right now? :nod:

accadacca
08-31-2013, 09:17 PM
A friend of mine (who is a BYU fan) described the BYU offense... "hurry up and punt."

They've got some work to do..

Kent K25
08-31-2013, 09:33 PM
Crickets from Cougar fans..... Would guess that will continue if they lose, but everyone will come in for chatter if they are winning games.....:ne_nau:

Maybe they're sick of BYU threads created by Utah fans and then infested with douchebags?

Kent K25
08-31-2013, 09:34 PM
A friend of mine (who is a BYU fan) described the BYU offense... "hurry up and punt."

They've got some work to do..

Close.... "hurry up and punt, unless you can find a more destructive way to give it away first."

Iceaxe
08-31-2013, 09:41 PM
This hurry up offensive only works if you have a good defense with depth, otherwise you put to much pressure on your D.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

accadacca
08-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Yeah it seems like it might be a long season for the Cougs and Yewts. USU might be the highlight again...

Kent K25
08-31-2013, 09:44 PM
This hurry up offensive only works if you have a good defense with depth, otherwise you put to much pressure on your D.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

The defense held up well...of course they might not hold up that well all year with that much field time. Especially against Texas, ND, etc

accadacca
08-31-2013, 10:33 PM
Crazy stat from college FB guru Rob Daniels: #UVaFB is the first FBS team this century to win a game while punting 13 or more times.

accadacca
08-31-2013, 10:42 PM
Texas sets a school record for total offense (715 yards) and survives an early scare for a 56-7 win over New Mexico State.

Deuce
09-01-2013, 06:26 AM
Maybe they're sick of BYU threads created by Utah fans and then infested with douchebags?
:roll:

Deuce
09-01-2013, 06:45 AM
Thought the defense looked solid. Was surprised to read Hill was 13 for 40. Williams is going to be really good. Missing Hoffman had to hurt.

Scott Card
09-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Too many drops, too sloppy, too fast and not hard enough. You just never know what you get until that first game. There were flashes of what the offense can do with this new offense but boy oh boy do they have some work to do to clean things up.

The Texas game stats mean nothing. Heck, when I was in High School a hundred years ago I looked forward to a crappy opponent or two to pad stats and go for records but it was never a test nor did those kind of games ever really show anyone anything. I look forward to watching the defense against Texas. I am hopeful the offense will take a chill pill and "Go not as fast - go harder" this week. I also hope they clean up the front line. The O-line was uuuuuuugly. All I can say is thank goodness its football season! I must be getting old or something because I look forward to the game and I am not so devastated nor as euphoric as I used to be. I just love a good game!

BTW, if anyone wants to join me and my office in a tail gate party, we have one this Friday at noon in our parking lot in Provo. Wear blue and join us for a free burger and/or hot dog. 3301 N. University Ave. Even you Utes can come if you behave yourselves. :haha:

double moo
09-04-2013, 06:58 AM
I'll give Iceaxe a ride down if he'll bring the beer

Iceaxe
09-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Hahaha.... I received a good laugh when I read BYU and tailgate in the same sentence.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Scott Card
09-04-2013, 08:23 AM
I'll have you know at one going away party in Los Angeles that my wife and I were at, the comment was made about us, particularly about my wife, that we didn't need beer to have a good time. We were already crazy enough! :lol8:

Scott Card
09-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Great to see DiscGo at the tailgate this afternoon. Thanks for coming over and sharing a burger with us.

accadacca
09-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Predictions for the scuffle with Texas?

Deuce
09-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Predictions for the scuffle with Texas?

http://youtu.be/lSPNQ82Sq4E

accadacca
09-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Cougs by 13 at half...wow. That RB, I mean QB is damn fast!

Iceaxe
09-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Home and away.... Jekyll and Hyde.

Cougs are looking great at the half.... I can't remember any team just running over the top of the Longhorns like the Cougs are doing at the moment, let's see if they can do it the second half.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

DiscGo
09-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Thanks again for the burger Scott Card. It was good seeing you (and your co-worker Joe Alisa). That is way cool of your office to throw such a great bbq / football kickoff!

accadacca
09-07-2013, 08:19 PM
The Cougs opened up a can on Texas and I'll say this... Utah's defense will be in serious trouble against BYU. Unless Hill gets hurt first...

Iceaxe
09-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Big difference between Texas and Utah....

Utah has now seen what Hill can do and has plenty of time to game plan for it.... Texas just doesn't have an answer at the moment. One of the big advantages of the BYU hurry up is Texas don't have time to implement big changes during the game because the game is moving to fast to coach up your players on the sidelines.

Also.... Texas is killing themselves with their offensive play calling.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

accadacca
09-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Yeah their play calling sucks, but they have no answers for Hill. Utah had trouble with Chuckie Keeton and he didn't have Williams by his side.

accadacca
09-07-2013, 08:38 PM
BYU's got a very balanced attack right now and Texas just looks dazed.

Iceaxe
09-08-2013, 05:56 AM
Texas got punished in the mouth right out of the gate and never recovered.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Iceaxe
09-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Utah had trouble with Chuckie Keeton

Big difference.... Keeton can throw the ball and so far Hill has yet to prove he can. Hills passing numbers last night were atrocious and with a can't miss running game your passing numbers should at least be mediocre.

Texas never loaded the box and forced the pass.... Texas never moved a safety up as a spy on Hill. Utah will not make those mistakes.... if Utah loses to BYU it will be because Hill is making some pass plays.

Also Texas keep trying to run between the tackles which is the heart of the BYU D. They needed to attack the cornerbacks.

Anyhoo... I really enjoy seeing BYU steamrolling the mighty Longhorns.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Deuce
09-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Big difference.... Keeton can throw the ball and so far Hill has yet to prove he can. Hills passing numbers last night were atrocious and with a can't miss running game your passing numbers should at least be mediocre.

Texas never loaded the box and forced the pass.... Texas never moved a safety up as a spy on Hill. Utah will not make those mistakes.... if Utah loses to BYU it will be because Hill is making some pass plays.

Also Texas keep trying to run between the tackles which is the heart of the BYU D. They needed to attack the cornerbacks.

Anyhoo... I really enjoy seeing BYU steamrolling the mighty Longhorns.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Yea, wondered aloud, why they kept running at the front 7 and never loaded the box forcing Hill to throw..... I'm still confused with it.... If I was a Longhorn fan, I'd be calling for Mack's head....as well as Manny & Major's....

Nice win for the Cougars.

accadacca
09-08-2013, 09:32 AM
We will see in two weeks. You are right about his passing...9/26. His passing percentage has been around 30% for the last two weeks. He runs because its available and he doesn't have confidence in his arm.

We will find out a little more after the Utes play Oregon State.

accadacca
09-08-2013, 01:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/DppefLN.gif

Deuce
09-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Yea, wondered aloud, why they kept running at the front 7 and never loaded the box forcing Hill to throw..... I'm still confused with it.... If I was a Longhorn fan, I'd be calling for Mack's head....as well as Manny & Major's....

Nice win for the Cougars. Well that didn't take long.... Manny Diez out as Texas D coordinator....

Scott Card
09-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Crazy game. Couldn't believe what I was seeing at that game. Hill does need to work on the passing game but it was unnecessary on Saturday. BYU just flat out pounded them on both sides of the ball. Texas did not look in sync at all. It was very telling watching (the replay) on ESPN the coaches going at each other. Word on the street is that the folks in Austin are calling for every coach's head and now. What a difference a week makes. I think that the coaches were holding Hill back in week one at UVA but let him play his game against Texas. So much talk about Utah/BYU. Don't the Utes have a conference game this week to worry about? :nod:

rockgremlin
09-09-2013, 01:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/DppefLN.gif:haha: :haha:

accadacca
09-17-2013, 03:47 PM
So who has a predictions on this weekends game between the Utah and BYU? I saw this map on KSL...

http://img.ksl.com/slc/2510/251083/25108304.jpg

Looking at Facebook likes for the two teams, Kelly Francis, of Aero-Graphics (http://www.aero-graphics.com/), has compiled the data and has mapped the neighborhoods — all for you as the fan, who can't stand to be next to the opposing fan (this week).

"I thought it would be fun to see where the dividing line is with BYU/Utah fans," Francis said. "It is all Facebook likes. It's not really that scientific, but it kind of gives you an indication of which way fans are leaning."

rockgremlin
09-17-2013, 06:53 PM
BYU will win. The game is in Provo, BYU has momentum with a recent blowout victory over a ranked top tier opponent, and the Utes got a demoralizing wake up call at the hands of the Beavers.

Scott Card
09-18-2013, 10:21 AM
After Saturday's game against Utah I will have a much better handle on who my team really is. Right now, I haven't a clue. The Virginia game was uuuuugly and the Texas game made me want to weep with joy. Who is my team? I think they do have a little bit of swagger going right now but Utah will have the nasty going for them after the loss. Then throw in the rivalry? :ne_nau::ne_nau::ne_nau::ne_nau::ne_nau: I couldn't predict this game nor would I bet a nickel on this game this year. I know what Vegas is saying but they have been wrong the past couple of years. What ever happens, it should be fun.

tomertim
09-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Betting wise, if the spread is 7 or over I would definately puty money on the utes.
As far as the win goes I'm pretty impartial and I would also go with the utes. Oregon state was a bad measure considering how you never know what beaver team will show up. I still am not sold on byu and even though they fired back after virginia, mack brown has lost that team. Utah will look to show that once again there was a reason they were chosen for the pac-12 and that reason is on the field. Utes 23 Byu 17
Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Iceaxe
09-19-2013, 06:14 AM
Utah by 5.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Deuce
09-20-2013, 07:27 AM
I'm feeling bad JuJu over the Ute fan "turning in" Hadley..... That is a violation of my honor code...

Iceaxe
09-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Snitches get stitches.....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

accadacca
09-22-2013, 12:05 AM
https://img.ksl.com/slc/2510/251098/25109848.jpg?filter=ksl/pgallery

accadacca
09-22-2013, 12:37 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=dxxHa 2GdEUeBS8D2m4rmxM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtepaZsvZ6TtC6 3VRIwiaWzWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Iceaxe
09-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Big difference between Texas and Utah....

Utah has now seen what Hill can do and has plenty of time to game plan for it....

Called it! Pretty obvious Utah was not going to let Hill run no matter what else they had to give up.

Maybe a better reply would have been to say Utah has seen what Hill can't do, which is throw the football.... Contain Hill and BYU's offensive sputters.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

accadacca
09-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Finally found the infamous photo.

http://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/hadley.jpg?w=600&h=852

accadacca
09-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Fans throw stuff at the refs as they leave.

http://youtu.be/u3HM9s_eq4c

accadacca
09-22-2013, 01:29 PM
The final play.

http://chrisshelley.com/images/opi.gif

rockgremlin
09-22-2013, 02:16 PM
What did Hadley allegedly do to violate honor code?

Iceaxe
09-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Fans throw stuff at the refs as they leave.

Oh, all those classless U of U fans...oh wait. This was at BYU.....

Scott Card
09-24-2013, 09:42 AM
I'll say it. Oh those classless BYU fans. BYU didn't lose the game because of the inconsistent ref calls. They lost because our quarterback can't throw and we have no offensive answer in the red zone. "Quarterback U" ain't "Quarterback U" any more. I will say about the refs, I hate, hate, hate that Pac12 teams won't play without their own refs. Can't say in general I have ever been impressed with them...ever. This year is certainly no exception. My prediction is that if Taysom Hill doesn't get his percentage up and if we lose to USU then we will see a new quarterback the next game. OK, prediction no, wish yes.

accadacca
09-24-2013, 09:49 AM
They lost because our quarterback can't throw and we have no offensive answer in the red zone.
You mean the "blue zone." :haha:

Iceaxe
09-24-2013, 02:29 PM
As I watched that game I kept thinking... the only thing different between Taysom Hill and Johnny Manziel is Manziel is slightly more accurate with his passes. I'm not being a smartass about this, I was just noticing the fine line between Heismen Trophy and national darling and getting booed off the field by your own fans.

I kept laughing when the announcers keep comparing Hill to Steve Young... same deal, Young could hit what he was throwing at. I see why Bronco likes Hill, he has a huge upside if he learns to throw semi-accurately.... the kid can throw, it's just a matter of it not going where he hopes it's going. With his speed he doesn't even need to throw that well, 50% would win a lot of games.

:popcorn:

Deuce
09-25-2013, 09:05 AM
What did Hadley allegedly do to violate honor code? http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130925/spencer-hadley-byu/

Scott Card
09-25-2013, 09:12 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130925/spencer-hadley-byu/
This is a great story. I recommend it. :nod:

oldno7
09-25-2013, 09:45 AM
This is a great story. I recommend it. :nod:

I agree, Scott....

Mistakes are not an option in life, they are a requirement that eludes no one.

Accepting your mistakes, rather than denying them, certainly builds character as well as strong people.

What this young man has done WILL define him but not in the way hoped for by those who did him a favor and reported his violation.

And no--I'm not LDS but this young man is a credit to those of you who are.

Deuce
09-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Have a friend(he is what some would call a CFB insider) just say he has heard from a "trusted source", that Cody Hoffman is going to be suspended. Didn't say why/what for. Said that this has been a rumor prior(I had not heard it?), but now that he has had it relayed from the "trusted source" he felt it has wheels.... So with that, I'll rumormonger...

Scott Card
09-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Out for one game. Not surprising that this sort of thing happens. When you lose and the team in down people start to point fingers, do dumb things, get in trouble...etc.

rockgremlin
09-27-2013, 05:32 PM
Out for one game. Not surprising that this sort of thing happens. When you lose and the team in down people start to point fingers, do dumb things, get in trouble...etc.

Dissension in the ranks. This is where Bronco needs to step in and right this train before it gets too far off the tracks.

accadacca
09-28-2013, 05:07 PM
The "QB's" numbers vs Middle Tennessee Tech/State something. 177 yards passing, 0 TD 1 INT - 165 yards rushing, 2 TD, 1 Fumble.

Iceaxe
09-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Hill was 14 of 19 passing. If he keeps that percentage rolling with his running abilities BYU will win a lot of games.

But the 5 turnovers are a concern. Turn the ball over 5 times against Utah State and the cougs will lose.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

accadacca
09-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Very interesting article about the Hadley suspension. I have to agree with most of it. I don't like the way BYU punishes athletes who break the honor code. I don't know if there is a better way to do it, but public humiliation is wrong. I also thought the Hadley article in SI was a PR stunt.

http://sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/56933093-219/hadley-byu-code-honor.html.csp

Iceaxe
09-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Gordon Monson is a douche.... and has no understanding of athletes.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

rockgremlin
09-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Very interesting article about the Hadley suspension. I have to agree with most of it. I don't like the way BYU punishes athletes who break the honor code. I don't know if there is a better way to do it, but public humiliation is wrong. I also thought the Hadley article in SI was a PR stunt.

http://sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/56933093-219/hadley-byu-code-honor.html.csp

Exactly. This suspension and public humiliation thing is bullsh**. Isn't it bad enough that he had to go talk to his bishop and not partake of the sacrament for a few weeks? Give the kid a break.

Scott Card
10-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Hated to see Chuckie Keeton go down but it was nice to see Taysom Hill put together a nice passing game.

rockgremlin
10-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Watching the slo-mo on Chuckie's injury looked nasty. I doubt he'll be back. A shame considering he was a top candidate for Heisman this year.

The way the Aggies were playing I really thought they were gonna pummel BYU. I was shocked to see just the opposite - especially in Logan.

accadacca
10-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Yeah I hope it wasn't career ending. Yikes! The game would have been different with Chuckie.

Scott Card
10-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Taysom was an absolute stud in the win vs. Houston. The dude is an ironman and was accountable for 70% of the offensive plays in a record setting number of plays that game. He is just getting better each week and it is fun to think that we don't have to hope that the defense will win us games each week but that the offense is now doing its job. I hope it can continue but I do think Taysom has to get some help and back off the number of runs per game.

accadacca
10-21-2013, 01:57 PM
...it is fun to think that we don't have to hope that the defense will win us games each week but that the offense is now doing its job.
There was absolutely no defense in that game... :eek2:

Scott Card
10-21-2013, 02:06 PM
There was absolutely no defense in that game... :eek2: That is why I may need heart medication before the Boise game on Friday. The Houston game was one heart attack after another for over 4 hours. I can't count how many times I started thinking "Oh yeah, we got this" only to say a minute later "Are you kidding me? Come on defense, make a stinkin' play!"

accadacca
10-21-2013, 02:09 PM
I was listening to the game while on a motorcycle trip. The signal kept coming and going. There was a score every time I got connected again. Insane game for momentum shifts. :crazy:

Iceaxe
11-23-2013, 06:03 PM
You have one of the best running tandems in the nation, you have a QB that's passing game is mediocre at best....

You have first down on the ND 5-yard line... why in the hell are you trying to pass the ball and lot just running it in for a TD?

BYU's play calling is atrocious....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3