PDA

View Full Version : Help St. George Rock Art

Iceaxe
01-28-2013, 12:15 PM
OK, here is the deal... I'll be in St George Friday on business but I'll be free at noon for the rest of the day. Does anyone have any suggestions for something to see or do? I know very little about rock art around St. George but figured some of you might know a thing or two...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. :2thumbs:

Scott P
01-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Have you been up Quail Creek yet? It has a few small petroglyphs, but the real attraction is the scenic beauty. There is also a ruin near the beginning of hike, but it's only a moderately interesting one. Quail Creek is my favorite St. George hike and I would bet that you will like it too, though the lighting might be best in the morning to not long after noon.

Anasazi Ridge is right by St George and has great petroglyphs. It's not a secret, so you should be able to find info online.

Also near St George are the Bloomington petroglyphs. Again, not a secret.

The Dinosaur Discover site is also interesting.

There are really petroglyphs in the Black Mountains north of Cedar City which could be seen on your way there or back, but I don't remember where they are and couldn't point the exact location on a map.

I assume that you have already been to Snow Canyon and the nearby cinder cones? If not, it's a good area, especially the northern section.

erial
01-28-2013, 04:50 PM
http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?31878-Anasazi-Trail-Petroglyphs-aka-Rock-Art-Writing-(D-U-Warning)

http://www.allzion.com/history_museums/ivins_petroglyphs.php

The above links reference the Anasazi Ridge that Scott mentions above.

From the Anasazi Trail head it is a little over a mile to the rock art which can be found above and just below the cliff that overlooks the river. Trail is well graded.

erial
01-28-2013, 04:59 PM
http://www.myxj.net/blog/parowan-gap-little-black-mountain/

To visit the Little Black Mtn site, you drive 5 miles south of St George on River Rd and then turn left (east) off of that dirt road onto another dirt road. Actually, there are two dirt roads that head east parallel to each other. Take the less sandy one. Both will arrive at the trailhead parking lot in front of Little Black Mtn in 4.5 miles.

DesertDuke
01-28-2013, 08:39 PM
I would have recommended something with this guy. I really enjoyed his class in Arizona.....however, I hate websites with music and in looking I don't see that he has anything going this week. However, he does have videos and pics, etc posted.

Boma (http://www.angelfire.com/trek/archaeology/)

2065toyota
01-29-2013, 09:16 AM
OK, here is the deal... I'll be in St George Friday on business but I'll be free at noon for the rest of the day. Does anyone have any suggestions for something to see or do? I know very little about rock art around St. George but figured some of you might know a thing or two...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. :2thumbs:

I may be going to Fairview to go snowmobiling on Friday. If I don't end up going and you want some company let me know.

Iceaxe
01-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Thanks everyone. I think we will try for Little Black Mountain. If I can swing it I'll also try for Anasazi Ridge but I probably won't have time for both. I just need something to kill a couple hours.

:2thumbs:

Bo_Beck
02-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Hope you had an enjoyable trip? If ever down again wanting to see some more Rock Art, holler and I can point you to a nice panel....easy walk, rarely viewed.

wnorton
02-07-2013, 05:49 AM
Hope you had an enjoyable trip? If ever down again wanting to see some more Rock Art, holler and I can point you to a nice panel....easy walk, rarely viewed.

Great panel, and one I don't recognize. Cool. Ya gotta love the rock art down here.
Wade

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.

Bo_Beck
02-07-2013, 06:43 AM
Great panel, and one I don't recognize. Cool. Ya gotta love the rock art down here.
Wade

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.

It is a cool panel! Leads one to believe the ancient civilizations were musicians? Check out the guitar in the hand of the Shaman!:nod:

wnorton
02-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Bo, next time I'm in DR I'm going to hit you up for directions or GPS. I'd like to see this one.

I'm still looking for the other slot canyon in Snow Canyon with petroglyphs. Yesterday I led the Red Rock group around there and we visited the petroglyph slot with the tree in it, pyramid rock panel and the newspaper rock panel.

I need to find a common weekend to tag along with Cher

blueeyes
02-08-2013, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=wnorton;526435]Bo, next time I'm in DR I'm going to hit you up for directions or GPS. I'd like to see this one.

I'm still looking for the other slot canyon in Snow Canyon with petroglyphs. Yesterday I led the Red Rock group around there and we visited the petroglyph slot with the tree in it, pyramid rock panel and the newspaper rock panel.

I need to find a common weekend to tag along with Cher

jaseio
04-18-2013, 05:00 AM
To know more about home decoration visit this site :-rugsandblinds,com