PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Parker Canyon - Failure

mzamp
01-27-2013, 07:52 PM
We ignored the fact that we had lots of rain in hopes of getting through the short section of canyon in Parker this weekend.

Old gauging station

Started out not too bad. We had high hopes, but being new to class C canyons we would have to play it safe.

Somehow I think Parker normally doesn't look like this:eek2:

Water seemingly coming out of nowhere off the canyon walls.

Playing in the swift water. Best way to learn is to just jump in and do it! :nono:

Top of First rap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ns4njhKAI&feature=youtu.be

Me being sad because I made the decision to turn around. Didn't realize a swiftwater course would be so useful in AZ. Well at least I know my limitations.

jman
01-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Scary! But looks awesome!

dweaver2130
01-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Awesome pics, I had planned a Parker trip myself, but when I checked the gauging station I saw that it was too much for me...

Here is a link to the Arizona gauging stations

http://www.thetent.com/aogcr/az/azsf_index.htm

I was told that parker over .8CFS is dangerous, especially for people with little 'c' experience.

Yesterday the flow was over 5 cfs

RedRoxx
01-28-2013, 04:57 AM
Would be awesome to see. We've hiked most of the parts of Parker--it's user friendly as it provides several in and outs along it's length. No rope needed.

MrAdam
01-28-2013, 07:08 AM
We tried for Parker Saturday and Sunday, both times it was too much. Saturday the guage was climbing all morning to 4.2 cfs, but then dropped to 0.4 before we got to the canyon. We expected the canyon to be flowing lightly because of the gauge reading, but when we got there it was ROARING. We guessed around 7-8 cfs. The gauge is in the south fork of Parker, but the north fork was the one flowing big.

Sunday we returned again, this time the gauge was reading 1.1 and like you, we bailed out. We then hauled a$$ to the Superstitions and got our fill of flowing water canyons in Headdress and Apache Trail!

ratagonia
01-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Failure? Nah!

Denied? Yup!

T

stefan
01-28-2013, 09:04 PM
neat looking canyon! thanks for sharing. hope you get back to it soon

AJ
02-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Without much C experience, to me it looks like you made the right choice. I don't know Parker, but with that water volume, you better be pretty familiar with the canyon as it's highly likely you could get swept over something in a constriction...

The canyon will be there another day; best to make sure you are too... ;)

Deathcricket
02-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Dayammm.

No doubt about it, you made the right choice, that looks hella scary.

arnellfam
02-20-2013, 06:45 AM
Wise move - fabulous photos and video footage!