PDA

View Full Version : Stansbury Island Petroglyphs Access Closed?

JTMiller
01-26-2013, 08:43 AM
My daughter and I drove out to Stansbury Island last Saturday planning on hiking to the petroglyphs. When we arrived at the trailhead parking we found a large, but somewhat crude, "No Trespassing" sign right behind the gate. All of the fence posts were painted red, and large red rectangles were painted on a number of the boulders behind the fence. Given the circumstances we didin't make the hike to the petroglyphs. We drove over to Red Man Pictograph and had a good time there. Can anyone tell me when this situation developed, whether the land where the petroglyphs are located is truly private, and if there is a way to gain permission from the landowner to make the hike? We would like to see the petroglyphs, but not enough to chance a trespasing fine.

Thanks much.

Jeff

Iceaxe
01-26-2013, 09:26 AM
If it is an old dilapidated no tresspassing sign we just walked around it... not saying that is the right thing to do, it's just what we did. YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

DesertDuke
01-27-2013, 01:38 PM
This does bring up a very important question though.....how does one ascertain whether or not a portion of land truly is private. Unfortunately there are miscreants that will post a section that they do not own. How can one verify? I believe that the general Boogleyite wants to follow the rules, but no one wants to put up with phoney postings. ?? I have had the same problem around Ophir. ??

Scott P
01-27-2013, 02:11 PM
how does one ascertain whether or not a portion of land truly is private.

BLM maps show land ownership by color. The new USGS maps (only available online) do as well, but only within the NPS and Forest Service lands.

Thinking back, it was an old rancher who first showed us the petroplyphs. He made us promise not to vandalize them before showing us. If it is private land, I'm guessing that it was his land, though he was already old and that was 25 years ago. He's probably gone by now and someone else probably owns the land.