PDA

View Full Version : Two taken to hospital after ice climbing accident

accadacca
01-23-2013, 09:05 PM

Pictures: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=23829211&nid=1164

PROVO CANYON

jumar
01-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Anyone have any additional info on how it happened?

Brian in SLC
01-27-2013, 07:23 PM
I think (pure guess) that they were traversing in from the right to set up a TR on that first pitch bit and they fell.

The woman passed away last night. So sorry to hear that.

Take care and be safe out there.

bdverve
01-28-2013, 11:45 AM
I think (pure guess) that they were traversing in from the right to set up a TR on that first pitch bit and they fell.

That is exactly what happened. They were traversing over and she lost her footing. He tried to grab her and fell also. I did not know her but she grew up near Chicago and some friends of mine knew her. It was very unfortunate but it should serve as a reminder that accidents can happen even when setting up a TR. I personally need to be more careful with this because I often do not anchor in when setting up a TR on rock. The likelihood of losing your footing on ice when wearing crampons makes it even more important. At times it may seem unnecessary or a burden but any time a stumble would result in a serious fall we should think about a belay or other precaution.

Brian in SLC
01-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Yep. Had a friend trip above there and get hurt (got off easy, relatively speaking) a number of years back.

We use this area as a standard pre season tune up, to get some mileage, as well as to take folks who haven't ice climbed much if at all. Great spot for that.

Noticed a near miss there earlier this season with another party. Scary.

Low angle ice can be pretty tricky. Very unforgiving.

Always good to be reminded of the consequences and consider precautions to be sure.