PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Mesa in January

Junebug
01-08-2013, 02:52 PM
I've mostly been a lurker, so nobody "knows" me here from Adam, but I'm wondering I can ask some advice?

Has anyone been hiking in the Cedar Mesa area this time of year? I know it's really cold right now, but that's to be expected. I'm just wondering how bad the ice is in the canyons and if it's worth trying to schedule a trip there the latter part of next week, or if I ought to pick a different location.. We've also thought about Butler Wash or the other side of Comb Ridge, but since it's not all that far from Cedar Mesa, it probably won't differ too much weather-wise. Where Butler Wash is so "exposed" though, maybe it would make for easier hiking?

Many thanks,
Junebug

Iceaxe
01-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Butler Wash is lower than a lot of the Cedar Mesa area. If going I'd suggest Butler Wash. You will probably have to access from the south end (Bluff) as the north end of the road becomes impassable when muddy.

I've also hiked Mule Canyon this time of year. Snow gets deep in the upper end of the canyon.

Ruins and rock art near the San Juan should also good.

Many of the roads up by the Grand Gulch ranger station become impassable when muddy.

Sent using Tapatalk

Junebug
01-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Thank you so much for the reply, I appreciate the advice. Maybe we'll try Mule Canyon at least one of the days (we'll be down there for at least 4) and spend some more time in Butler Wash. We've been there 3 or 4 times now, but I never tire of the hiking, or the scenery. I know conditions can be variable, but do you think House On Fire would be reachable this time of year? We've not seen that yet and I'd really like to. I love the idea of going down in the winter- it's cold I know, but I imagine we won't see too many people :)

Iceaxe
01-08-2013, 06:40 PM
House on Fire should not be a problem. It's an easy ruin to reach most of the time.

Sent using Tapatalk

Byron
01-08-2013, 06:47 PM
I've been there plenty of times in the middle of the winter. If I weren't so busy with work, I would head out there this month as well!!! If you're camping out, just bring lots of big logs to burn and a very warm sleeping bag. I only go out when the daytime temps are predicted to be in the 40s, at least with no precip in the forecast. You may also want to call Kane Gulch or Natural Bridges to ask about the snow on the ground. BTW, don't count out Natural Bridges...there are lots of ruins in the canyon, especially upstream of Supai Bridge.

If the roads are drivable, and the sun is shinning, it's just fine. It gets damn cold at night...just bring a good book, lots of firewood, a flask of good whiskey, smores and enjoy catching up on sleep. If you camp out at the Government Trail, you can burn 2 days easy, one hiking up canyon, the other down with a loop out Deer Canyon....excellent. Ask about road conditions...

Iceaxe
01-08-2013, 08:41 PM
This is the best way I know of for checking conditions in Cedar Mesa. It's the UDOT camera on Salvation Knoll (in the heart of Cedar Mesa). It sure is nice to get an actual real-time picture.

If the picture is black like right now it's because it's night. :lol8:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/camera/single/SalvationKnoll.php

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/images/slc/camera/latest/salvation95e.latest.jpg

Junebug
01-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Thank you so much for the info. I've never considered hiking much around Natural Bridges, but that would be a good option too. Good thing I live in fairly close proximity- it's not too much of a drive and there are so many places to explore down there.

This time of year, we won't be camping out- it's just too cold for me. We'll likely take our trailer and just boondock somewhere- the days are so short, we'll just start early every day and day hike only. I've been watching temps and it has been damn cold- much colder than in the 40's, but we'll dress in layers and be prepared.

Thanks again!

Junebug
01-09-2013, 08:53 AM
This is the best way I know of for checking conditions in Cedar Mesa. It's the UDOT camera on Salvation Knoll (in the heart of Cedar Mesa). It sure is nice to get an actual real-time picture.

If the picture is black like right now it's because it's night. :lol8:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/camera/single/SalvationKnoll.php

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/images/slc/camera/latest/salvation95e.latest.jpg

Thank you so much for this! This is perfect- it doesn't appear to be too snowy right now at all. I know a storm is predicted for Friday, so I'll keep watching.

Thanks again :)

MPH
01-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Lower butler...lower fish canyon...johns canyon off the goosenecks road...Collins canyon down to grand gulch

i would stay low...watch the snow on the Mesa...u might stuck for quite a while...

Junebug
01-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Lower butler...lower fish canyon...johns canyon off the goosenecks road...Collins canyon down to grand gulch

i would stay low...watch the snow on the Mesa...u might stuck for quite a while...

Thanks for the recommendations and the advice. We've decided to put our trip off until the last week in January. That might not make much difference snow-wise, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)