PDA

View Full Version : Dog snatched by coyote during hike, woman says

accadacca
01-05-2013, 09:47 AM

SALT LAKE CITY — It was a terrifying morning for a hiker in Salt Lake, when she said her dog was snatched right in front of her by a coyote as they were hiking a popular trail.

They tracked the coyote for six hours and were able to eventually find their 13-year-old Jack Russell Terrier's remains. The only thing they were able to recover was a sweater the dog was wearing, according to Teri Mallard, the dog's owner.

"She was so excited this morning," she said. "All of the sudden, I heard her screaming and I look up and an animal was dragging her off. And I took off running and I'm running as fast as I can, and I'm yelling at her, ‘Scout! Scout!'"

She believes it was a coyote lurking near the popular trail she and her dogs frequently hike on Ensign Peak. In single-degree temperatures, barely daylight, she followed the tracks for more than an hour before she got too cold and went back home for help.

She came back with her husband to continue searching. They looked high and low for six hours, crossing multiple ridgelines, and eventually found exactly what they feared.

"We go up there all the time, and sometimes I'll hear coyotes howling and stuff, but I've never seen any … I finally found Scout's little sweater, and I knew she was gone."

While the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources was not made aware of this particular incident, they did say coyote sightings are on the rise in Salt Lake County. And reports suggest they are becoming more bold, leaving Mallard to offer a warning to those hiking with their pets.

"I want people to be aware of that, so that they don't lose their animals like I lost mine," she said. Keep ‘em close to you and be prepared."

The DWR said Ensign Peak is an on-leash area, and a leash, which Scout did not have, is a great way to protect your dogs out hiking.

accadacca
01-05-2013, 09:58 AM
If she had been carrying a gun... :naughty:

Deathcricket
01-05-2013, 01:27 PM
If she had been carrying a gun... :naughty:

Or use the buddy system. Bring along a 2nd dog who coyotes won't even think to mess with. Nanny dogs FTW! :2thumbs:

Interesting story. my neighbor here in Saint George was hiking the Chuckwalla trail here by Snow canyon. Same thing happened, a coyote jumped out and snatched their dachshund. He started chasing it through the bushes and the coyote actually dropped their dog and took off. I think it was a smaller one and couldn't run that fast with the extra weight. Dog survived with a couple stiches. Lucky guy! Also has some cool victory scars on both sides of it's body where the coyotes canines punctured its ribs.

BruteForce
01-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Better yet, get a REAL sized dog. Something that won't die if I step on it, preferably!

[IMG]http://utahbruteforce.com/bruteforce/RIP-Sasha--1994---2012_105B3/DSC07097.jpg

Brian in SLC
01-05-2013, 03:46 PM
The DWR said Ensign Peak is an on-leash area, and a leash, which Scout did not have, is a great way to protect your dogs out hiking.

If she had been carrying a gun...

Or, ahem, a leash.

It really is disturbing when folks hike out side, in nature and stuff, with their domestic critters, and, they actually have to run into, gasp, nature.

Run fifi run!

Between Xmas and new years in Joshua Tree...thank goodness we didn't have a fifi...

Brian in SLC
01-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Oh, goodness, forgive me...I had an awful thought...

"So, how do you know that's coyote poop?"

"Well, son, see the little bits of blue sweater?"

jman
01-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Or, ahem, a leash.

It really is disturbing when folks hike out side, in nature and stuff, with their domestic critters, and, they actually have to run into, gasp, nature.

Run fifi run!

Between Xmas and new years in Joshua Tree...thank goodness we didn't have a fifi...

Yea seriously.

Hmmmmm.....I think we should start a class-action and sue the BLM for millions for FAILING to inform the public of these heinous creatures in this area.

Reedus
01-06-2013, 06:10 AM
This stuff happens all the time down here in Phoenix. Coyotes will jump the block walls into peoples backyard and snatch little dogs, especially in outlying areas. IT's bad enough of a problem that people install what are called "coyote rollers" on the wall that prevents them from being able to get over the wall into the backyard

Kokopelli
01-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Hey! You stole my thread! :nono: I had you by half an hour! :lol8:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?67192-Dog-snatched-by-coyote-during-hike-woman-says&p=522699#post522699

ratagonia
01-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Go Coyotes!!!!

Keeping the population of obnoxious dogs within reason.

Tom

ratagonia
01-06-2013, 09:53 AM

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?67192-Dog-snatched-by-coyote-during-hike-woman-says&p=522699#post522699

You didn't include the picture...

T

accadacca
01-06-2013, 01:14 PM

Oops... :lol8:

rockgremlin
01-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Strike ONE -- Have an annoying rat-dog.

Strike TWO -- take it hiking in an ON-LEASH area without a leash.

Strike THREE -- openly report your ignorance/stupidity to the media who will then broadcast it far and wide.

Aren't there fines for letting your dog run around free in on-leash areas without a leash? I hate dog owners who assume leash laws somehow don't apply to their dogs, and then are shocked when something bad happens to either their dogs or somebody else. :facepalm1:

James_B_Wads2000
01-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Ha ha. Score one for nature!

James

accadacca
01-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Strike ONE -- Have an annoying rat-dog.
:lol8:

fourtycal
01-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Utah's Preditor control program pays a bounty on coyotes. For each one killed, there is a $50 reward. Since September, there have been more than 2,300 turned in.
There is a law, no discharge of firearms in salt lake county but archery gear would work. It may just pay off.
I will post a report in hunting someday soon :2thumbs:

accadacca
01-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Sweet fourtycal!