PDA

View Full Version : For Christmas I got my mountain axe. Now, where to go to practice?

Wasatch Rebel
01-05-2013, 08:49 AM
I picked up a Black Diamond Raven axe with money I got for Christmas. Now, I just need a place to practice the use of it. I need a place that isn't going to injure me if I flub up so that I can get the hang of it before I try the places that will injure me if I flub up. Any suggestions?

Scott P
01-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Sugarhouse park maybe?

In the mountains, much of the snow probably won't be consolidated enough to use an ice axe. Best bet would be a south facing slope in the morning. Avlanche chutes will have consolidated snow, but you want to steer clear of those unless you really know what you are doing.

A good place to practice might be on the ski slopes at the resorts, but very early in the morning and before the ski resort opens. Snow will be compact and avalanche danger minimal. Just be off the slopes before opening time.

DOSS
01-07-2013, 05:13 AM
I would say some of the south slopes at the bottom of Tanner Park (sugahood doesn't seem steep enough to me), just look for a good runout :)

Wasatch Rebel
01-08-2013, 04:29 AM
Sugarhouse park maybe?

In the mountains, much of the snow probably won't be consolidated enough to use an ice axe. Best bet would be a south facing slope in the morning. Avlanche chutes will have consolidated snow, but you want to steer clear of those unless you really know what you are doing.

A good place to practice might be on the ski slopes at the resorts, but very early in the morning and before the ski resort opens. Snow will be compact and avalanche danger minimal. Just be off the slopes before opening time.

Thanks, Scott.

I would say some of the south slopes at the bottom of Tanner Park (sugahood doesn't seem steep enough to me), just look for a good runout :)

Thank you, Doss as well.

I know a place up on the Timp trail that would be good, but I'll have to wait until June or July to get up to it.

DOSS
01-08-2013, 04:51 AM
I know a place up on the Timp trail that would be good, but I'll have to wait until June or July to get up to it.

If you are in Utah County check out Rock canyon.. just at the mouth as you hike in are some decent slopes to practice self arrest on.

Iceaxe
01-08-2013, 06:21 AM
When I bought my first mtn axe I hiked up to donut falls in BBC with it. I was able to play with the axe around the falls on both ice and conslodated snow.

Sent using Tapatalk