PDA

View Full Version : Stormin Norman Dies

DiscGo
12-28-2012, 05:44 AM
'Stormin' Norman' Schwarzkopf, lauded Gulf War commander, dies
http://kpbs.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2012/12/27/NormanSchwarzkopf_t700.jpg?f40c0e74b997dbb01ce5247 58e0d04a31382c8af
(CNN) -- Retired Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf, who led allied forces to a routing of Iraq in the 1991 Persian Gulf War and became one of the nation's most celebrated military heroes of the era, died Thursday, a U.S. defense official said. He was 78.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/27/us/schwarzkopf-obit/index.html

DiscGo
12-28-2012, 07:14 AM
The man inspired patriotism in me. I am grateful for his service and consider him a great man. Thank you General

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Iceaxe
12-28-2012, 07:44 AM
The battle plan Schwarzkopf pulled off around Kuwait was historic. He rewrote the book of desert warfare. I'm thinking Rommel and Schwarzkopf are having some interesting conversations about now.

double moo
12-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Story from back in the day... Norman was in the process of retiring when we started the build up for Desert Storm. When ask to stall his retirement to command the alliance he said if he could run it without the political bullshit he would. He was given permission to kick ass and so he did! (in case you are wondering... this is the shortened version, paraphrased, cropped, etc... no need to pile on here)

Not sure if it is factual... but the way he ran things makes it look like it may have been.

Rob L
12-28-2012, 02:54 PM
He was (and still is) well lauded outside of the USA too, despite his rather US-oriented views at the time. Many Americans had never heard of Kuwait (or even "Eye-rak") before then. Was it George Bush who'd never been outside of the USA at his election?

I digress, sorry...

After his retirement, I think Schwarzkopf bettered himself, if that is possible, by avoiding politics. For both his military and post-retirement life he deserves his well-appreciated place in history.

[edit: I don't think it was George Bush...he was a fighter pilot in WWII? Willing to be stood corrected.]

DiscGo
12-28-2012, 03:23 PM
After his retirement, I think Schwarzkopf bettered himself, if that is possible, by avoiding politics. For both his military and post-retirement life he deserves his well-appreciated place in history.

There were a lot of people who wanted to see him run for President and I think he had a VERY real chance but didn't want the position. Pretty much any great leader (which like him or not, he clearly was) who turns down great power shows at least a real amount of decency.

I loved the fact that before Dessert Storm started that he called into a radio station and requested they played "Proud to be an American". I love how much he loved our country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65KZIqay4E

BruteForce
12-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Story from back in the day... Norman was in the process of retiring when we started the build up for Desert Storm. When ask to stall his retirement to command the alliance he said if he could run it without the political bullshit he would. He was given permission to kick ass and so he did! (in case you are wondering... this is the shortened version, paraphrased, cropped, etc... no need to pile on here)

Not sure if it is factual... but the way he ran things makes it look like it may have been.

He was my general back in the day. I met him a few times while deployed. He was a hell of a man, with morals, conviction and a passion for the common enlisted man. I think the first time I met him, I was just an E4/SPC, then later an E6/SSG. Sad. Hard to believe that many years have passed!