PDA

View Full Version : Invite BC Skiing the Tushars this weekend

teedit
12-20-2012, 10:18 AM
I'll be down in Beaver this weekend and want to do some backcountry skiing in the Tushars. If anyone has similar plans or wants to join, let me know. Also if anyone has good beta on the area...

Sun Dance
12-26-2012, 12:13 PM
How did this go?

BruteForce
12-26-2012, 01:05 PM
I too would be interested in knowing how this went. How/where did you stage to get up on the mountain?

2065toyota
12-29-2012, 01:28 AM
We snowmobile there quite a bit and once you get above the tree just be careful. We have been involved in and/or caused multiple avalanches

Sun Dance
12-29-2012, 07:46 AM
That sounds safe.

teedit
01-02-2013, 09:30 AM
The snow was great - really deep. I started from Puffer Lake and summited City Creek Peak. It took 2 to 3 hours to get up - I think. I think starting from the parking at Eagle Point Resort would also be a great place to start.

2065toyota
01-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Nice.

We talked to some people who went skiing there last week and said the snow was one of their best days and wasn't even crowded. I know they have some free ski days for non-utah residents, not exactly sure what they are though. They've done some road construction also so the roads are prob a little wider than they used to be. Used to be a little scary coming down in the winter pulling my 26' trailer around some of the sharp curves with no guardrails

BruteForce
01-02-2013, 05:11 PM
The snow was great - really deep. I started from Puffer Lake and summited City Creek Peak. It took 2 to 3 hours to get up - I think. I think starting from the parking at Eagle Point Resort would also be a great place to start.

How did you reach Puffer Lake? Was the road accessible? If so, by what type of vehicle? I know there isn't THAT much snow up there yet, but I think most gates are closed, so footing it or snow machine are the only vehicles that might be able to access Puffer, AFAIK. I've always contemplated snow mobiling that mountain, but between downed trees, gates and other obstacles, I just haven't yet attempted.

BruteForce
01-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Nice.

. I know they have some free ski days for non-utah residents, not exactly sure what they are though. They've done some road construction also so the roads are prob a little wider than they used to be. Used to be a little scary coming down in the winter pulling my 26' trailer around some of the sharp curves with no guardrails

What? There aren't any ski resorts on that mountain..
"free ski days" ??? AFAIK, if you can make it up there somehow, everyday is a free ski day. Mind you, snow on that mountain can be many feet deep..

Sun Dance
01-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Elk Meadows?

2065toyota
01-02-2013, 06:18 PM
http://www.skieaglepoint.com/

They keep the road plowed and open up to about Puffer Lake where the ashpalt changes to dirt.

And yes it is deep. We have rode up on Big Flat when only the very tops of the tallest trees are showing. Beaver snow is awesome and runs there are sweet because most are too steep to groom and it's common to have 3-4' of powder in the center of the runs

BruteForce
01-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Wow! When did Eagle Point open up, and where are the lifts and staging? Between Eureka, Fillmore and Marysvale, those are my three homes-away-from-home and I've never heard of Eagle Point. Mind you, I don't ski at all..

stefan
01-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Wow! When did Eagle Point open up, and where are the lifts and staging? Between Eureka, Fillmore and Marysvale, those are my three homes-away-from-home and I've never heard of Eagle Point. Mind you, I don't ski at all..

here's some background

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24141

teedit
01-03-2013, 07:53 AM
How did you reach Puffer Lake? Was the road accessible? If so, by what type of vehicle? I know there isn't THAT much snow up there yet, but I think most gates are closed, so footing it or snow machine are the only vehicles that might be able to access Puffer, AFAIK. I've always contemplated snow mobiling that mountain, but between downed trees, gates and other obstacles, I just haven't yet attempted.

The road was plowed all the way to Puffer Lake and was in very good condition even though it had just snowed. There are several places you could start with a snowmobile as well - Big John Flat for example. There were also some groomed snowmobile trails. I was very impressed with the condition of everything: trailheads, roads, snomobile grooming, resort. I don't know what it was like before Eagle Point opened but it really seems they are trying to make it accessible to everyone: resorters, snowmobiles, and BC skiers/riders. From the resort it looks like a pretty doable hike up to Mt Holly or Delano Pk.