PDA

View Full Version : GoPro 3

DiscGo
12-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Be careful what you wish for, because I put the Go Pro 3 on my Bogley Christmas Wishlist and then a few hours later my wife told me that I can get one for Christmas. I went on Amazon and a lot of the reviews (particularly about battery life) weren't very good. Who of you has a GoPro Hero 3 and what has been your experience in comparing them to the GoPro 2?

Also, as soon as I buy a GoPro does my life instantly become as exciting as the GoPro videos on YouTube? Or does that come later? :)

Iceaxe
12-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Also, as soon as I buy a GoPro does my life instantly become as exciting as the GoPro videos on YouTube?

Even better if you get the headboard mount :)

Sent using Tapatalk

Kuya
12-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Im not sure what the GoPro Hero 3 Is like, But i was able to get a Hero 2, Battery BacPac, Chesty,helmet mounts, and a View finder all for half the cost of a Hero 3. I have been happy with my Hero 2 :) It would be awesome to have all the bells and wistles of the Hero 3, but I couldn't pass up the deals on the Hero 2.

DOSS
12-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Im not sure what the GoPro Hero 3 Is like, But i was able to get a Hero 2, Battery BacPac, Chesty,helmet mounts, and a View finder all for half the cost of a Hero 3. I have been happy with my Hero 2 :) It would be awesome to have all the bells and wistles of the Hero 3, but I couldn't pass up the deals on the Hero 2.

I too went with the 2 recently but instead of the battery bacpac got the wifi pack.. yeah the wifi is worth it :)

BruteForce
12-17-2012, 06:02 AM
I decided against the GoPro 3 and instead bought another HD Hero 2. I didn't want a new housing or accessories, since I now have three of these. Additionally, since I already have the backpac wireless, there was no advantage with the 3.

Sombeech
12-17-2012, 06:27 AM
I still want the 3 Black Edition because of the framerate. The case is smaller but the mounts and everything will be the same, yes?

Plus being smaller it will be easier to hold out on that pole mount I use often.

DiscGo
12-17-2012, 06:29 AM
I still want the 3 Black Edition because of the framerate. The case is smaller but the mounts and everything will be the same, yes?

It does use all of the same attachment, with the exception of the internal battery. All of the other accessories (external battery, external screen, mounts, etc.) work exactly the same. The only thing bad I have read about the 3 is that the battery doesn't last nearly as long (roughly 88 minutes without the external battery pack).

BruteForce
12-17-2012, 06:50 AM
It does use all of the same attachment,

I'm not doubting, but are you sure. The smaller camera seems to imply different accessories. At any rate, I got such a great deal at Best Buy, that going with the HD Hero 2 was $100 less than the 3..

Sombeech
12-17-2012, 07:03 AM
And keep in mind the GoPro 3 White Edition starts at $199, this includes the better lens and a lot of the new features. You're just lacking on the higher framerate and wifi remote that's included in the Black Edition for $399.

But... the battery life is kind of a big deal. Plus you'll need to buy a new Micro SD card.

http://d3m6eq123hajy2.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Callouts_WhiteEdition.jpg

DiscGo
12-17-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm not doubting, but are you sure?

At the very least I have read it in several reviews, so I am pretty sure. My main concern is battery life in the GPH3

Sombeech
12-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Yeah it's the same mount, the 2-3 interlocking bracket. Here it is shown with the skeleton mount.

accadacca
12-17-2012, 11:55 AM
I guess I need someone to volunteer their hand-me-down GP2. :naughty:

Kuya
12-17-2012, 12:19 PM
I too went with the 2 recently but instead of the battery bacpac got the wifi pack.. yeah the wifi is worth it :)

hmmm... why do you like the wifi bacpac? Ill have to look into getting that if it is worth it.

KapitanSparrow
12-17-2012, 12:41 PM
I bought the Sony Action Cam for my trip to Mexico and I have nothing bad to say about the camera itself. Worked awesome underwater and works great on dry land.

BruteForce
12-17-2012, 01:41 PM
hmmm... why do you like the wifi bacpac? Ill have to look into getting that if it is worth it.

A few reasons:

You can start/stop video/photos via a handheld remote control. No more guessing if the camera is running
You can control multiple cameras using one remote control
You can view real-time the display using a handheld device (Android, iOS tablet or phone)
6 hour battery life on the WiFi backpac

Iceaxe
12-17-2012, 02:46 PM

You don't have to get out of bed.

:roflol: :lol8: :roflol: :popcorn:

BruteForce
12-17-2012, 03:00 PM
You can view real-time the display using a handheld device (Android, iOS tablet or phone)

Sadly, this real-time function is very laggy (much latency)..It's good for a quick view, but not great for filming and watching say while driving (Yes, I've tried this).

DOSS
12-17-2012, 03:44 PM
A few reasons:

You can start/stop video/photos via a handheld remote control. No more guessing if the camera is running
You can control multiple cameras using one remote control
6 hour battery life on the WiFi backpac

What he said :).. you can also turn off your device.. but ya a little laggy but at least you can see where you have your camera pointed when it is on top of your head :)

DiscGo
12-18-2012, 07:24 AM
I have been planning on using this as my family's primary video camera. Do you guys think that is a bad idea? Do I need to get a regular camcorder for my family stuff, and GoPro for my outdoor stuff? Or do you think I can use the GoPro for both?

Bluff-Canyoneer
12-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Not really good for home video purposes. Lens is too wide angle and no zoom. If you are more than ten feet away people will look very small.

Iceaxe
12-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Not really good for home video purposes. Lens is too wide angle and no zoom. If you are more than ten feet away people will look very small.

^^^What he said^^^

Plus the sound sucks on the GoPro.

For family buy a real video recorder. I just bought a $100 canon camera that shots HD video that works amazing well for my family video's. I use that for family and not my GoPro.

You are probably wasting your money on a GoPro unless you plan to video some of the more extreme sports where holding a camera is difficult like Mtn biking, white water, yada, yada.... a GoPro isn't even required for canyoneering unless you are doing the more difficult canyons. The GoPro works best for sports where you need your hands free.

Sombeech
12-18-2012, 08:25 AM
For family stuff around the house I'd rather just use my phone. Plus I can share instantly with Grandma. It films in 1080 HD, but it's digital zoom.

But the GoPro will take some great family shots that you just can't get with the camcorder or your phone (or don't dare), like at the swimming pool, trampoline, playing at Grandma's..... So if you are going to plan your shots, edit some video and make a production, I'd choose the GoPro.

Granted, all of these were filmed with the GoPro Hero 1st generation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmiOkbA2_oE&safe=active

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBrqCG_2yY0&safe=active

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akfcCH8eHMI&safe=active

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W99iWtx_qaY&safe=active

Rob L
12-18-2012, 11:47 AM
This is a GoPro2, so perhaps not relevant to the question. The vid suggests 1000 mph and 6g, but I doubt both.

But still nice flying footage ... Russian military flying formation team; almost as good as my flying footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7HOLONP0Td4

Eric Holden
12-18-2012, 12:48 PM
1000kph

Rob L
12-18-2012, 01:17 PM
You Mercans wouldn't understand klicks! :naughty: I thought it said mph, my error. Those Ruskies use klicks too, I forgot. Damn foreigners. :cold:

Even so, apparently the camera ship was last in the formation in case the camera let go...so as to prevent engine injection on anyone behind!

Rob

KapitanSparrow
09-10-2013, 07:57 AM
I bought the Sony Action Cam for my trip to Mexico and I have nothing bad to say about the camera itself. Worked awesome underwater and works great on dry land.

I have since drowned my Sony Action Cam and got a GoPro3. Can I buy an insurance to cover non-accidental drowning of the GoPro? Also, a lot of people have been having issues with GoPro 3 damaging 64gb SanDisk SD cards, including me. Any experiences? Do we have a thread on this? I spent $150 on data recovery and hd video repair software and I've been able to recover a lot of my lost footage but not all of it. GoPro won't read the card at all and windows only sees 30 gb out of original 64.

Sombeech
09-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Hmmm, that's new to me, I haven't heard of the 64GB card getting damaged. I only use a 32GB though.

Could it be a format type issue with the card? Is it NTFS? And are you using a PC or a Mac?

Are you concerned with the GoPro camera sinking, or water actually leaking into the case? I just bought the floaty backpack for mine for probably $15 locally and it's brought me some peace of mind since I use it a lot boating.

http://youtu.be/RfiKBi6_AuE

KapitanSparrow
09-10-2013, 10:27 AM
I am using it for underwater video so I would like to be protected if, or rather when, it floods.

I believe its FAT32. I lot of folks have been having this issue:

http://discussion.gopro.com/gopro/topics/gopro_killed_my_sandisk_64gb_class_10_sdxc