PDA

View Full Version : Best Kayaking route in Lake Powell?

Kuya
12-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Hey All, Looking to plan a kayaking trip in Lake Powell this next year and would love some advise. Where are the must see places? where should I put in? Etc. I'm looking for maybe a 3-6 day trip.

Kuya
05-08-2013, 12:28 PM
bump! Still wondering about this. Any good ideas out there?

Sandstone Addiction
05-10-2013, 05:12 AM
How familiar are you with Lake Powell and when were you planning on going?

Mtnseeker1
05-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Um below the dam?

Bluff-Canyoneer
05-13-2013, 05:09 AM
Without a powerboat to shuttle around its tough because of the long distances and potentially high winds. Often there is no place to hide from big wind and waves, not to mention drunks in jet boats.

Can you give us a better idea of what you have in mind?

oldno7
05-13-2013, 07:40 AM
If I were to kayak at Powell, it would only be from November to March.

The rest of the months are somewhat kayak unfriendly due to high boat traffic.

I believe you could have almost complete solitude in the time frame I listed.

Sandstone Addiction
05-13-2013, 12:15 PM
@Kuya (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=21873) , I totally agree with oldno7.

Besides the massive swells and wakes (especially from boats the size of @oldno7 (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=2899) 's :lol8:) to contend with during the warmer months, most of the best attractions are super busy as well.

Although if you have to go during the summer, you might check out Hite Marina. It looks like it is mostly shut down right now which would make me think that there is not much boat traffic. The problem with Hite is there doesn't seem to be many sandy beaches, but probably some nice ones in the ends of the canyons. One very nice thing about Hite is all the firewood available.

Not sure if anyone is launching on the San Juan Arm, but if you can access the lake (Paiute Farms, Clay Hills) you'd most likely have it all to yourself.

Kuya
05-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys! what sections of the lake are "best" to kayak? im looking for lots of narrow slots, and such. I have limited experience boating on the lake. I have only ever been on the lake twice. So I am looking for the best-bang-for-your-buck. What route could a venture troop take in order to see the most with the least amount of paddling?

oldno7
05-13-2013, 04:09 PM
If you have ground support, it might be good to put in the "river" at Hite and paddle down to Blue notch for a takeout, although, there are no easily accessible slots there.

You are incredibly limited on places to launch. And most great slots are a far piece from launch areas.

There are hundreds of technical slots on Powell, a huge number of those require a lot of skillsets. If you drop into an unknown, you might be there for a long time.(plan carefully)

With my above mentioned idea, you could check out 2 mile and 4 mile on the way to Blue Notch.. I've been in the area but haven't been to the lake in either and am uncertain if possible.
I believe Scott P. knows the 2&4 mile areas.

I've been told the lake level right now is halfway between Farleys and Hite.

Udink
05-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Here's something I was thinking about trying soon, it might work for you. Launch at Farley Canyon, paddle across the reservoir and hit up all the canyons around Trachyte. It's about a 5-mile paddle, less than a mile of which is across the open channel, but for the rest you can keep close to the shoreline. It looks like one could spend days and days in the Trachyte complex, exploring all the side-canyons. I'll probably be doing this in June sometime.

rich67
06-06-2013, 10:43 AM
For a basic trip I have been planning, I want to just do a 2-3 nighter. Looking at leaving from Antelope Marina ramp. I ordered a book about camping along Lake Powell, so I am thinking I can hunt for some nice beach spots to camp on within a three day striking distance from Antelope. There are options on leaving from spots further uplake, but I figured an initial shorter trip would give me a good gauge on how the lake behaves throughout the day.

Kuya
06-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Wow, there are just so many options. What do you think of putting in at Bullfrog and paddling over to Halls Creek? From there we could explore, maybe even work our way into Lost Eden Canyon.