View Full Version : (Tech) Two-Ring Retrievable Anchor Thingee

ratagonia
12-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Up on CUSA Tech Tips:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/techtips/tworingretrievableanchor/

Tom

moab mark
12-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Throw a biner in place of one of the rapides. Ty a overhand not in the side going up thru the biner. Get rid of pull cord. Tried to patent the washer we use to use but ace hardware kept selling them so I quit using the washer.:)

2065toyota
12-10-2012, 05:51 PM
"Since the tree is dead, killing it further is unlikely"

:haha:

Slot Machine
12-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Nice page. :2thumbs:

As you know, when the anchor is set up vertically, like when rapping from the arch in Lomatium, pulling the anchor from the top rapide is far easier than pulling from the bottom rapide. Might want to add that. :ne_nau:

moab mark
12-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Not trying to hyjack Tom's thread but Abbey Arch is where we tried the washer idea the first time.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?32465-Retrievable-anchor-idea

ratagonia
12-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Not trying to hyjack Tom's thread but Abbey Arch is where we tried the washer idea the first time.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?32465-Retrievable-anchor-idea

I have a different method for the large arches... coming soon. (Still a 3X solution, though.)

I guess my concern with the Magic Washer is that it might not work... but now that you have used it a lot (how much?), have you found it consistently works? Ever had it get stuck?

Tom

ratagonia
12-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Nice page. :2thumbs:

As you know, when the anchor is set up vertically, like when rapping from the arch in Lomatium, pulling the anchor from the top rapide is far easier than pulling from the bottom rapide. Might want to add that. :ne_nau:

Good suggestion. Done!

T

moab mark
12-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Have used dozens of times, had the knot pull thru the only rapide we had when up to Columbia River Gorge. The rapide was one of The bigger ones. Don't ask why we only had one.:( Have never had it snag. I am setting it up a bit different at the start. Web anchor clip biner into the loop the rapide is in. Rappel single double etc. When last guy goes clip biner over rope at that point. Makes the anchor cleaner for all but the last.

moab mark
12-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Edit at first rope is only thru rapide. Make sure to unclip the biner from webbing when clipping over rope.

deagol
12-11-2012, 11:35 AM
"Around arches, pulling the rope over the arch will usually cut grooves into the rope, even if the pull is short. So just say NO to that too. In a non-sandstone environment, perhaps tossing the rope over an arch will work, but then you run into the pulling problem… so maybe a 2-ring sling would work better anyway"

Is the highlighted word "rope" supposed to be "Arch" ?????

ratagonia
12-11-2012, 11:58 AM
"Around arches, pulling the rope over the arch will usually cut grooves into the rope, even if the pull is short. So just say NO to that too. In a non-sandstone environment, perhaps tossing the rope over an arch will work, but then you run into the pulling problem… so maybe a 2-ring sling would work better anyway"

Is the highlighted word "rope" supposed to be "Arch" ?????

Jeesh...

Good catch. Thanks.

Tom

bioject
12-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Is a 2-ring retrievable considered a marginal anchor like a macrame? My guess isn't not.

oldno7
12-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Nope--they are quite bomber

Mountaineer
12-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Nice. Or...Macrame. Omni-sling. Sheep/shank "kamikaze"? Fiddlestick?