PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaws!

Bootboy
12-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Who here has one? Or several? Anybody cut wood to heat their house?
What's your favorite saw?
Any tree guys out there?

oldno7
12-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Theres Stihl and then everything else...

I have 3 Stihls, no longer heat the house with wood but did for 25 years.

accadacca
12-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Yep, Stihl is the best...

Bad Karma
12-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Another vote for stihl

Rob L
12-09-2012, 02:49 PM
I always buy the cheapest chainsaw possible, single-use of course (but these Taiwanese blades are always sharp). Comes with cheap face-mask, cheap gloves etc. Usually from an on-line, untraceable source, cash only.

Then it doesn't come back to me when they find the body.

:fitz:

Bootboy
12-09-2012, 03:29 PM
I own a stihl ms460. 76cc, 6.5hp. It's a monster for sure. I like stihl but I think there are other brands not to be overlooked. I own an echo CS600p and its a fantastic saw. Pro grade for sure. Husqvarna makes good saws but they can be hit and miss. Although their new saws like the 562 and the 550xp are game changers.

I personally don't heat my own house with wood but I have family who does. I do tree work part time, so it's cheap for them as they get the wood for free from me:)
If anyone is interested I have free fire wood available. It needs to be split but its free for pick up.

accadacca
12-10-2012, 04:12 PM
All this talk of chainsaws makes me want to buy one too. Just to be all manly, cut down some trees and chop wood. Grrrrrrr.... :stud:

I grew up getting wood every year. We had a buck stove growing up. I miss that kinda stuff. Now I am just a desk jockey... :facepalm1:

http://www.grit.com/uploadedImages/GRT/articles/issues/2010-11-01/GRT-ND10-chainsaw-stihl-ms311.jpg

double moo
12-10-2012, 04:23 PM
All this talk of chainsaws makes me want to buy one too. Just to be all manly, cut down some trees and chop wood. Grrrrrrr.... :stud:

I grew up getting wood every year. We had a buck stove growing up. I miss that kinda stuff. Now I am just a desk pussy... :facepalm1:

http://www.grit.com/uploadedImages/GRT/articles/issues/2010-11-01/GRT-ND10-chainsaw-stihl-ms311.jpg

fixt

Bootboy
12-11-2012, 01:45 AM
I do t have a wood burning stove but I know plenty of people who do, so the wood from many of my tree jobs has a nice home to go to:)

BruteForce
12-11-2012, 05:45 AM
I have a trusty Craftsman that's served me very well for the past 7 years. I cut my own wood and harvest around 4-5 cords of wood every fall. This year, I was fortunate in that my former employer was clearing land for a new parking lot, so I was able to load up at least 8 full sized trees. Additionally, a neighbor wanted to take down a 45' pine, so I was able to harvest that wood as well. At present, my chainsaw has cut well over 5 cords (using 3x chainsaw blades) this year alone.

Bo_Beck
12-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Heat my home with wood for the past 22 years (no other heat source!) and have had the Husky (which also was used in the building of a rammed earth home with aspen posts and beams and the building of all the aspen furniture) and beside a cracked housing which I epoxied back together it runs as strong as ever. Husqvarna kicks ass!

Brian in SLC
12-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Another vote for Husky! Stihl is great too.

I worked for a summer in the woods with a saw and got to see a bunch of different brands in the field. I had a Sachs Dolmar but the spindle was off a tad and it blew up a couple of times. Other than that, it ran well and at least was covered under warrenty.

Good chaps and a chain brake really saved my butt a few times. I wouldn't underestimate how quickly a saw can change your life...

DiscGo
12-11-2012, 07:51 AM
I have a Poulon and it is just okay. My buddy bought a husqvarna chainsaw at a pawn shop, and we have LOVED it. I do think that Stihl is the best, but they are so expensive.

oldno7
12-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Another vote for Husky! Stihl is great too.

I worked for a summer in the woods with a saw and got to see a bunch of different brands in the field. I had a Sachs Dolmar but the spindle was off a tad and it blew up a couple of times. Other than that, it ran well and at least was covered under warrenty.

Good chaps and a chain brake really saved my butt a few times. I wouldn't underestimate how quickly a saw can change your life...

I spent 2 Summers cutting, one on the North slope of Uintahs and one in Wy., up above Cokeville and the top of the Hobach.
Huskies do run well and seem a tad quicker than a Stihl BUT the Stihls just keep on keepin' on, and seem a bit more dependable than Husky.
Worked for an outfit out of Manila, we cut for Smith and Jones out of Evanston, for most of our harvest. We did cut house logs/mine props for the company in Manila though.

Brian in SLC
12-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Nice!

Four of us had a thinning contract with the FS. We averaged around 6 acres a day for the whole summer. Hard work. Barely paid off the saws, bar tack and gas...ha ha. Dumb kids...

Between us, we had a husky, a stihl, my sachs, an echo, poulon, mcculloch a couple homelites. We all suffered when our saws were in the shop gettin' worked on 'cause we had to use the "dog-lites" or whatever was running. The husky ran the best all summer, with the least amount of repairs and the engine ran soooo smooth. We were all jealous of it. No doubt the best saws that summer were the husky and stihl.

I've run a few since, just cuttin' wood or trimmin' downed trees in back yards. My dad had the biggest McCulloch I'd ever seen. Thing had like a 5 foot bar on it. Crazy huge engine. Probably for old growth in the Cascades... We used to cut posts, six or eight at a time, with it.

My dad's side of the family were all loggers. All Stihl guys.

I'd think for occasional use, just about anything works. But, there's nothin' sweeter than a "nice" saw! And, back to the safety thing...I'd get one with a brake. Probably should also have steel toed boots and chaps, too. Damn I had some close calls that summer. By the end, my chaps were fairly mutilated. Had the saw buck and twist and rotate all the way around behind me, clipping the back of my leg. Blink of an eye. Blood pourin' out, I didn't know how deep it was. Merely a flesh wound...ha ha. That and havin' the saw buck back so hard and hit me in the top of the forehead, it almost knocked me out. If I hadn't had a chain brake...

Ahhh...fun with power tools. Good times...

REDFOX
12-11-2012, 06:47 PM
I have an old sachs dolmar that runs like a champ. My older homelite is a piece of crap.

accadacca
12-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Homelite... :lol8:

clikrf8
12-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Hubby has a Stihl, 24" bar, I think. yes, we use wood off our 6 acres to heat our home up in Washington state where it is cold and damp. Nothing like a wood stove to keep the chill out and good for making soup and tea. He used to get permits to cut up shake blocks for cedar shingles but the market dropped out of that one. We burn fir, hemlock, alder.

My grandfather was a logger here and talked of seeing big trees for miles. He never thought they would run out. He was a faller, ran the steam donkey, taught himself diesel mechanics with an 8th grade education. He reminisced about his days in the woods. Born 1904, dies 1996.

double moo
12-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Have a little cheapo Poulan that I got from Anderson Lumber as they were going out of business maybe 15 years ago - was $150 and I got it for $25. I thought if it crapped out on me I wasn't out too much. The little saw just keeps going! still starts on a couple of pulls after sitting over the winter. It's not powerful enough for real work... so I got a Stihl 311 a couple of years back. Awesome saw!!! It has also been bulletproof. If it lasts as well as my "little saw that could" I'll be a happy camper.