PDA

View Full Version : Finally won the lottery!!!

dezzouk
12-08-2012, 12:56 PM
All,

After MANY attempts, I have finally won two permits to North Coyote Buttes on 28 March 2013.... Have also grabbed permits for 27 and 29 March in South Coyote Buttes.

Also plan to do a White Pocket visit at sunset and Yellow Rock too ( afternoon - late afternoon )...

As I havent finalised my flights yet, might also consider a trip to Toroweap and Rimrock Hoodoos ( Wahweap hike is a possibility but the 8 mile walk makes me a tad unenthusiastic )

The only thing between me and finally getting to the wave is the weather and conditions on the access road... I am hopeful that conditions on the road are generally OK at that time of the year and that we will be able to get there....

I am based in London so am nervous about booking flights until very close to the dates.... I just couldnt image going all of that way and not getting to see The Wave...

Any past experience on access road conditions in late March? Are there people who would provide transport in if the road is slightly dodgy...

Currently am planning to rent a Jeep in Kanab and have yet to decide whether I use guides or try and get to these places myself... Thoughts / comments?

All very exciting! Any tips / comments MOST appreciated!!!

Des

Slot Machine
12-08-2012, 04:42 PM
All,

After MANY attempts, I have finally won two permits to North Coyote Buttes on 28 March 2013.... Have also grabbed permits for 27 and 29 March in South Coyote Buttes.

Also plan to do a White Pocket visit at sunset and Yellow Rock too ( afternoon - late afternoon )...

As I havent finalised my flights yet, might also consider a trip to Toroweap and Rimrock Hoodoos ( Wahweap hike is a possibility but the 8 mile walk makes me a tad unenthusiastic )

The only thing between me and finally getting to the wave is the weather and conditions on the access road... I am hopeful that conditions on the road are generally OK at that time of the year and that we will be able to get there....

I am based in London so am nervous about booking flights until very close to the dates.... I just couldnt image going all of that way and not getting to see The Wave...

Any past experience on access road conditions in late March? Are there people who would provide transport in if the road is slightly dodgy...

Currently am planning to rent a Jeep in Kanab and have yet to decide whether I use guides or try and get to these places myself... Thoughts / comments?

All very exciting! Any tips / comments MOST appreciated!!!

Des

Congrats! You are in for a treat!

March should be a good time to go, provided it stays dry. A Jeep should be excellent transportation to [The Wave] trailhead, the road is kept in pretty good condition. I have used a shuttle to do Buckskin Gulch (a nearby slot), but I highly doubt you will need one for your adventure. Dodgy conditions are pretty rare out there. :mrgreen:

Although popluar, there are no amenities near The Wave. It is very remote desert hiking. I strongly suggest bringing a GPS to The Wave (and your other adventures). Getting to The Wave is easy, but getting back is very confusing. People get lost out there all the time. When we went, I had 10 people following me like Moses through the desert, because I was the only one with a GPS.

Also, the Holiday Inn Express in Kanab is pretty nice. Eat at the Rocking V, it is amazing!

Bob

powderglut
12-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Getting to Wire Pass pkg lot for N Coyote should not be a problem. (Unless it's a complete downpour) I suppose it can get a little confusing on the return hike from the Wave. If you're on your own you may want a handheld GPS.
S Coyote and White Pocket are a whole different trip. Paw Hole is fairly simple to find. However...You will need a high clearance 4WD vehicle to get to all of them. Also.. some skill at driving thru deep sand and route finding. Both WP and Cottonwood Cove take a little bit of navigation skills to find. You may want to go guided on these if you have the funds.
Tuweep is a good addition to this trip, along with a hike thru Wire Pass /Buckskin Gulch, the Hoodoos or toad stools, and Yellow rock. Keeping it mostly in the neighborhood.
Agree Kanab would make sense for this itinerary. Amen on the Rocking V. :2thumbs:

accadacca
12-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Very cool man! :cool2:

I am looking forward to seeing a trip report with pictures upon your return. :2thumbs: