PDA

View Full Version : Utah BDR

cchoc
12-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Has anyone ridden the Backcountry Discovery Route? I'm going to spend next summer in SE Utah (volunteer at Hovenweep) and would like to at least ride the part between Mexican Hat and Moab while I'm there on my F800GS.

I'm sure I'll find plenty of other places to ride as well without having to drive the tree days from GA just to get there. :haha:

accadacca
12-07-2012, 01:00 PM
I haven't ridden it, but would love to get in touch for a ride if possible when you are here. :ride:

Mtnseeker1
12-07-2012, 01:37 PM
This one looks full of possibilities.:ride:
http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/UTBDR

cchoc
12-07-2012, 01:49 PM
This one looks full of possibilities.:ride:
http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/UTBDR

That's the one I was talking about.

cchoc
12-07-2012, 01:51 PM
I haven't ridden it, but would love to get in touch for a ride if possible when you are here. :ride:

That would be cool. I'm just getting back into riding after a 40 year absence so I've got a lot of practicing to do before I try anything really gnarly but plan to get in as much riding as I can this winter.

Mtnseeker1
12-08-2012, 01:49 PM
@cchoc (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=19872) When or rather what are your dates while in Utah? Work schedule? etc.?
I would love to get to know that country better with a 2-3 day tent camping/exploring trip here and there.
I tend to do the speed limit on tarmac but the rest could be very fun.
I'm only about 2 hrs away by way of the crow but 4 or 5 by any ground route.

cchoc
12-08-2012, 02:05 PM
I plan on being there from Memorial Day through Labor Day, but I will probably get there a little before and may stay a while after. The normal work schedule is a 5 day week followed by a 4 day week alternating, so I will have a 3 day weekend every 2 weeks. Tent camping/exploring trips are what I have in mind. My bike has the stock Anakee 2's on now but I will be putting some more agressive tires on for the summer, thinking TKC80's, K60's or maybe even Michelin Desert's.

I have an AT Chaser trailer with a RTT that I normally use for camping but I'm leaving the trailer home for the summer and will be bringing motorcycle camping gear along. It would be great to meet up for some exploring, and I'm a speed limit guy on tarmac myself. :nod:

Mtnseeker1
12-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Cool I say the speed thing as I ride a 500 that I'm getting street legal as I write.
My packing will be limited to say the least.
It's a KTM 500 xc-w with not much of a subframe.
But I'll make do just fine once I get the packing figured out to my style.
It will either be a Giant Loop set up or home made saddle bags Dirt Baggs Style.

cchoc
12-08-2012, 02:30 PM
I've got BMW aluminum side panniers so my challenge will be to not pack too much stuff I won't use. I'm also thinking about a Rotopax setup for my rack so I can carry spare fuel and/or water. It will be handy having someone to help me pick the bike up when I tip it over. :mrgreen:

Mtnseeker1
12-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Right now I'm only running a 2.51 tank and my math is real bad cause it shows me getting the same as my XR650R and I know that can't be right with fuel injection to boot.
Maybe it's those nice flowing washes at high WOT that are messing me up my math.:lol8:
Either way it looks like about 75 miles to the tank for me so I will need to do some homework:facepalm1:

Acca runs the same type panniers I believe but on a nice shiny new 1200 or 1250 GS so I'm not to worried unless he isn't with us. LMAO
And if I have not sold my BRP I do have a 6.3 super tanker that will fuel just about everybody safely. Just need to put it back on I guess but.
But she is not street tagged as of yet and I should have her sold as soon as I drop the price to with in reason.

cchoc
12-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Should be fun. You can download GPS waypoints for the Utah BDR from the website, BTW.

Mtnseeker1
12-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Got them and now need to organize them.

Mtnseeker1
12-08-2012, 05:38 PM
It would be really cool if you could hang out till the leaves change in the fall.
That's when the high country is just/ Well you have to see it for yourself.

cchoc
12-09-2012, 03:49 AM
I'm thinking about that. I've been there when the aspens change in the La Sals but not when the cottonwoods change around Zion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moab mark
12-09-2012, 11:43 AM
You can do a route close to this and stay in motels every night. Need to have a big enough tank or haul 2 liters in a back pack to go about 125 to 150 a day.
Blanding to Moab moab to price price to strawberry then Heber or to duschene (sp) then Evanston then bear lake. The vast majority on dirt. Or go the other way. Blanding to hite then onto hanksville that would be a long day then to capital reef then skyline to home dropping down to towns along the way.

moab mark
12-09-2012, 11:46 AM
I have done a lot of canyoneering using a Moto for shuttle etc. if your pack is big enough it sits on the seat when on your back and it is pretty easy to ride with a bigger pack that touches the seat.

Mtnseeker1
12-09-2012, 11:56 AM
I like the tent idea but a campground with showers is always a plus.:haha:
Do they come with laundry facilities yet?:lol8:
You know besides the dreaded waffle stomp.

Mtnseeker1
12-09-2012, 12:09 PM
I will have to go light and tight but I have a sleeping bag that will fit my fanny pack.:lol8:
Them down feather ones always scare me about keeping them dry.
But it sounds like moab mark has done some of this ride before.
Is that correct?

moab mark
12-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Parts if you go over to thumper talk there is a thread from some guys on 300's did a bunch of it. Good write up. The benefit of motels is also FOOD.

cchoc
12-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Food can be a very good thing. :haha: I like camping out too, though. I suppose you guys get all the night sky you need but living near Atlanta I'm a bit deprived. :cry1:

Mtnseeker1
12-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Well the way I see it with them there big ass panniers we should be living good with dutch ovens:lol8: Just kidding.
But a steak on a small grill at a real fire never hurts either.

Besides this is after all Utah and needs to be experienced in the right way.

Eat a good meal, poor a little wild turkey in a tin cup and talk about the days adventures and what the next day may have in store for you around a nice camp fire.

AAAAhhhh life is good and life needs to be explored for new settings for sure.

cchoc
12-09-2012, 01:26 PM
I think there's some good fly fishing up around Escalante - fresh trout makes a good camp meal too. :eat:

Mtnseeker1
12-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Ya Posey aint to bad but there are 1000's up that way.
I've road the Pine Creek to Posey to boulder .Ut with a side trip to Loa in the middle of it. Great country up high but does have Bear issues and you need to hang your grub up high.

cchoc
12-09-2012, 02:18 PM
I've camped in bear country a lot but mostly in the RTT. Sleeping on the ground seems to make the bumps in the night seem louder and closer. Here's a couple of shots I took, using a telephoto but I was still pretty close.:crazy: One reason why I use freeze dried food when backpacking, less attractive to bears. I had a trout taken from a snowbank by my camp in Colorado years ago by a cougar, that kind of spooked me.

Black bear:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-EYkF2hjf3Ds/UMTT1eDw_pI/AAAAAAAAKPA/2kN0g1W0W2M/s800/_D3S2294-Edit.jpg

Grizzly bear:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3WfNpcZAkAQ/TrqNUgnHt5I/AAAAAAAAFNY/Su6qBTEVOJI/s884/_LS26275-Edit.jpg

Mtnseeker1
12-09-2012, 04:11 PM
I just use a stuff sack and about 75' of para chord and cook fish at the lake or stream unless that's were I'm camping.
THe bears above Escalante are about 2 or 3 generations out from the trouble bears that were transplanted there from Yellowstone.
Not a real threat now unless you have 50 boy scouts cooking bacon and eggs for two hours.:lol8:

moab mark
12-09-2012, 04:28 PM
http://motoutah.com/forum1/9-ride-reports/122581-shawn-s-epic-birthday-ride

Mtnseeker1
12-09-2012, 05:11 PM
:2thumbs: That's what I'm talking about.

cchoc
12-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moab mark
12-10-2012, 10:00 AM
The down side to the ride going up the east side of the state is there is no easy way to get thru the Uintas without riding a ton of asphalt. Going on West side the only big asphalt is pretty much the stretch from the dam at Pineview to East Canyon. The rest of the way South is just small stretches of road from what I can tell. Does anyone know if you can get from Bryce to Kanab on dirt?

Mtnseeker1
12-10-2012, 01:53 PM
And the down side of going the west side is fuel.:lol8:

cchoc
12-10-2012, 02:33 PM
And the down side of going the west side is fuel.:lol8:

On the UTBDR the longest stretch between fuel stops is 180 miles, which is fine for dual sport bikes but don't know how that fits with dirt bikes. It can also supposedly be driven in a 4WD, maybe you could find a support vehicle. :mrgreen:

Mtnseeker1
12-10-2012, 03:18 PM
180 is just a push of the trail.
You can just about and I do meen just about go anywhere now days were gas can be had at a lot lesser miles world wide.
But there are some areas mostly Africa and Nv. that this would be right. And Utah's west desert.:lol8:

cchoc
12-10-2012, 03:27 PM
180 is just a push of the trail.
You can just about and I do meen just about go anywhere now days were gas can be had at a lot lesser miles world wide.
But there are some areas mostly Africa and Nv. that this would be right. And Utah's west desert.:lol8:

Maybe they just mean it's the longest between suggested gas stops following their routes and waypoints. I have the hard copy map of the route and that's what it says on it, but I know there are a lot of places to get gas along the east side of the state.

moab mark
12-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Fuel was not a problem for those guys that did it two years ago.

moab mark
12-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Go look up Utah border to border was done last summer on utv's I know Greg belnap who was part of that I am going to go quiz him one of these coming days.

accadacca
12-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Great conversation here. I would certainly be interested in joining for a stretch or as much as I can.

As long as it doesn't conflict with my ride to Prudhoe Bay...hopefully. :ride:

Mtnseeker1
12-11-2012, 06:00 AM
Sounds like it will only be 2-3 days at a time and mid May to mid june should be the low desert country pending this years snow fall in the high country.

Prudhoe Bay sounds like a once in a lifetime ride:2thumbs: Enjoy, I know I would if I could. Will your dad be going on that one with his new to him Beammer?

accadacca
12-11-2012, 06:17 AM
I don't think he is that crazy yet.

cchoc
12-11-2012, 07:22 AM
I don't think he is that crazy yet.

You may be surprised, old guys can get pretty crazy (don't know how old your dad is, but I'm 65 and just took up riding again :crazy: ).

sixstringsteve
12-11-2012, 10:22 AM
I recently completed the route two months ago in my 4x4. If you're planning on it, I recommend buying the map and the DVD, it's really great info.

Trip planning thread:
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?93042-Upcoming-trip-Utah-Backcountry-Discovery-Route-Oct-17th-21st-2012&highlight=utbdr

Trip report thread:
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?93729-Trip-Report-Utah-Backcountry-Discovery-Route-October-17-22&highlight=utbdr

Video report coming soon.

cchoc
12-11-2012, 10:25 AM
I recently completed the route two months ago in my 4x4. If you're planning on it, I recommend buying the map and the DVD, it's really great info.

Trip planning thread:
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?93042-Upcoming-trip-Utah-Backcountry-Discovery-Route-Oct-17th-21st-2012&highlight=utbdr

Trip report thread:
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?93729-Trip-Report-Utah-Backcountry-Discovery-Route-October-17-22&highlight=utbdr

Video report coming soon.

Cool, I do have the map and DVD.

Mtnseeker1
12-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Sweet trip report sixstringsteve and thank you.
I may be hitting you up with some questions for sure.
But first I'll get the map and dvd.:2thumbs:

Mtnseeker1
12-11-2012, 12:25 PM
This one looks fun.
Is there anyone that has routes for ID to and through NV? to top it off right? With fuel stops and natures hot tubbs.

I'm guessing this could be done with a 10 to maybe 15 day ride.
It ain't Purdoe bay but may be just as close as this old boy can get to heaven.

cchoc
12-11-2012, 12:40 PM
That sounds interesting. I'm hoping to work out the logistics for some longer rides when I am out there.

Mtnseeker1
12-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Seems I'm only good for about 70 miles to the tank at Warner Valley and about 90 for the long rides.:lol8: Well 90 is when I first noticed the low fuel light anyways.
This bitch will sip it up faster than I was thinking while WFO:lol8: even with EFI.
Glad to get rid of that mx51 rear however. She was a chuncking big time in the end :lol8:
Now for the real shit 603 up front and M5B 130 in the rear woohoo.
I do believe it's time for an invite to the 50*-70* part of the state:lol8:.
So what day does new years fall on?:bootyshake: And I just know how you boy's up north want to ride the warm stuff. LMAO
Looks like I'm in need of a bigger tank for sure but not to big.
3 or 5 gln? 3 works better for the serious trails and 5 works better for the enduro aspect.
I think 3 will only give me about 120 and it is a good place to start I guess.
Or 5 and just not fill it all the way full for the tight stuff.

I think it will be 5gln tank- Acerbis. At least I won't have to deal with wood screws for the shrouds but I will have to do a sanitary splice to the fuel injection wires. And she won't look as pretty without the white graphics.
She'll like like the pumkin princess.

cchoc
12-12-2012, 07:13 AM
A 5g tank should give you lots of range, my F800GS has a 4.2g tank. I'll probably mount a 1g Rotopax for a little extra. That would probably be enough range for pretty much anywhere in this hemisphere.

If I can hone my riding skills enough my grand plan is to ride to Panama and back. :bandit: