PDA

View Full Version : Invite Any word on this year's Freeze Fest?

utahiker
11-25-2012, 07:44 PM
:cold:

Slot Machine
11-25-2012, 07:57 PM
@RAM (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=183) informed me that it will be from "Dec 26th - Jan 3rd or so" this year. Yes, he talked me and my wife into doing the Black Hole... :cold::facepalm1::lol8:

maarten.1975
11-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Here is another interested Bogley-er.....
I'll be in the area, and unless the weather is truly to bad, I wanna be present!
Hopefully many other will be joining!
:haha:

Scott P
11-27-2012, 08:47 AM
I'll be in Nepal, but hopefully next year I'll make it to Freeze Fest.

rockgremlin
11-27-2012, 11:25 AM
There's several places in Nepal that you could pull off a pretty decent freeze fest. You should seek them out and do a "Nepalese Freeze" TR. :lol8:

trackrunner
11-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Prior commitment prevent me from attending this year as I will be in SW utah & arizona strip attending an in law get together. I'm seeking partners over the weekend before new years in that area: silver reef, zion, AZ strip, or marble canyon.

2065toyota
11-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Prior commitment prevent me from attending this year as I will be in SW utah & arizona strip attending an in law get together. I'm seeking partners over the weekend before new years in that area: silver reef, zion, AZ strip, or marble canyon.

I'm always up for about anything and will be around during that time period if you want to hit me up when it gets a little closer and maybe we can meet up

dweaver2130
11-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Wife and i will be heading up to canyonlands over new years...maybe we will pop in!

Don
11-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Cody and I are looking at Dec 27 or 28 through Jan 1 or 2. Haven't really nailed down the plan, but we'll be there. This'll be our 5th consecutive year at FF!
We finally did the Black Hole last year (warm year), and if the weather isn't insanely cold I'd be interested in doing it again...

Slot Machine
12-07-2012, 12:31 PM
From a private email:

You should set the record straight. I didn't convince you to do the Jan 1st black hole.
Okydok, to be pefectly transparnet, this is how it all went down. No hyperbole, I promise... :twisted:

Ram: Hey.

Bob: Hey. The Canyons group is unreadable, you should post on Bogley.

Ram: Bogley sucks. You should join us at Freezefest.

Bob: Count me in. What should I expect?

Ram: We sleep in the snow for a week and go canyoneering.

Bob: I'm not a polar bear :crazycobasa:, I'll rent a motel room. Which canyons?

Ram: Shenanigans.

Bob: Naw, I just did that, need some time to cry it out. :cry1:

Ram: Ok… On New Year’s we traditionally do the Black Hole.

Bob: Huh? :eek2: I'll go do something fun while you are wearing two wetsuits and breaking ice like some kind of arctic sea vessel.

Ram: Seriously, It’s not that bad.

Bob: I know what cold water feels like. No way.

Ram: Maybe you don’t know how to properly insulate yourself.

Bob: Maybe you don’t know that the Black Hole is fun during the summer…

And our exchange went back and forth for several days. A week later I was sitting at home eating dinner with my lovely wife Stephanie…

Bob: Ram is still trying to talk me into doing the Black Hole. He is a funny guy.

Steph: You know, I've been thinking about that. We should do it.

Bob: *shoots stir fry out of nose* WHAT?!? *cough* *cough*

Steph: Yeah, I think it will be one of those things that will end up being fun. It sounds horrible now, but we haven't done anything like it. It'll be fun.

Bob: Awww, dammit! :facepalm1:I don't really know Ram, but I bet he will think this is pretty damn funny. :roflmao1: Are you sure you want to go?

Steph: Yes... well... what if I get pregnant between now and then?

Bob: If I tell Ram yes, then, by God, you and Jr. are doing it.

THAT is how it really went down. I assign 60% of the blame to Steph and 40% of the blame to Mr. Ram. Peer pressure is a bugger sometimes. :fitz:

We are looking forward to meeting you all at Freezefest this year.
:mrgreen:

Bob

Scott Card
12-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I am going to try to break away early in the morning for the Black Hole fun on Jan. 1. "Try" is the operative word.

levifackrell
12-08-2012, 08:25 AM
I'll be coming to freeze fest as far as I know. but im not staying for new years eve. I'm wondering if we do canyons on the other days before new years eve / the run down of events we do.

ratagonia
12-08-2012, 08:36 AM
I'll be coming to freeze fest as far as I know. but im not staying for new years eve. I'm wondering if we do canyons on the other days before new years eve / the run down of events we do.

Yes.

T

ratagonia
12-08-2012, 08:37 AM

It is not a planned event. The plan is "do canyons". Usually there are several groups going out each day, but it is up to whoever is there to figure things out. No concierge.

Tom

ratagonia
12-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Here's an OLDY but Goody trip report - to help with the psyche up process...

http://tinyurl.com/FF20032004

Tom

optikal
12-18-2012, 09:26 AM
I'll be attending FF. Still need to nail down the dates but probably come down Thur or Fri and stay until the 2nd. I'll be with +1 (maybe +2) buddies

MSchasch
12-18-2012, 09:52 AM
I'll be with +1 (maybe +2)

Sounds good! I'll put you down for two for the time being.

Steak or salmon?

PS: Trail canyon a couple years ago, could be another wild one this year :)

canyondevil
12-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Anybody going to be there to do a canyon on Wednesday (26th)? I am planning on being there the 26th through the 30th. It'll be just me, my +1 said no way in hell.

dude9478
12-18-2012, 10:03 AM

Steak or salmon?

Nice! That looks cold, and fun. What days are you coming out Mike?

Kevin

MSchasch
12-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Hey Kevin! Probably coming out the 27th. Stay until people leave, my usual. Looking forward to seeing you and Julie.

optikal
12-18-2012, 10:18 AM

Steak or salmon?

Great, +2 is seeming quite safe at this point, the "maybe" has pretty much committed. Steak would be great! Thank you!

If I have enough time I'll whip up a batch of my chili and bring down enough to share with everyone :9

dude9478
12-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Hey Kevin! Probably coming out the 27th. Stay until people leave, my usual. Looking forward to seeing you and Julie.
Excellent, see you there!

HikingDebbie
12-24-2012, 10:10 AM
FYI, Went through Leprechaun (left fork) and Blarney (right fork) over the weekend. Despite all the snow along the way, the North wash canyons appear to be in the "banana belt" of Utah, because that area was pretty dry. Just patches of snow. Leprechaun had 2 pools (both calf deep). Most of us took 2 steps to get through them, one guy in our group stemmed over both and didn't get wet.

dweaver2130
12-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Wife and me are committed, we can bring our wall tent if people would like.....14'x16'. We can be there just after midnight on the 31st and we are off until the fifth, anyone staying that long?

optikal
12-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Hey all. We're just around the corner and I'm stoked! We're leaving tomorrow after work and plan to arrive sometime around 10pm on Friday, staying through til Tuesday night.

:nod::2thumbs:

xilch
12-27-2012, 02:27 PM
This sounds crazy, but make sure you pack a swimsuit to this years freezefest. I'm going to try an experiment with a redneck sweat lodge. I've never done it at temperatures this low before, but it should work out, and if it does, you'll definitely be wishing you had a suit.

ratagonia
12-27-2012, 03:21 PM
This sounds crazy, but make sure you pack a swimsuit to this years freezefest. I'm going to try an experiment with a redneck sweat lodge. I've never done it at temperatures this low before, but it should work out, and if it does, you'll definitely be wishing you had a suit.

to quote Yoda: Shy, you are, apparently.

T

Slot Machine
12-27-2012, 06:56 PM
... should work out, and if it does, you'll definitely be wishing you had a suit.

And wishing Tom had a suit. :eek2: Coinpurse Fest doesn't quite have the same ring to it...

:lol8:

Don
01-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Somehow I ended up with someone's Sea to Summit spoon in my kitchen box after FF. I'm assuming it was someone who ate with us. Anyone know who's this is?

Don
01-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Somehow I ended up with someone's Sea to Summit spoon in my kitchen box after FF. I'm assuming it was someone who ate with us. Anyone know who's this is?

Owner found.

Sombeech
01-02-2013, 02:05 PM
How was the turnout?

ratagonia
01-02-2013, 03:09 PM
How was the turnout?

Twas Good! About 58 people total showed their face, and 20 people started the Black Hole (with 21 finishing)...

Overall, it was fairly cold, with very little snow. Temps in the canyons were pleasant, but the nights were quite cold and getting up and going in the morning challenging.

Lost and Found: sunglasses w a retainer; a plastic spork.

T

Slot Machine
01-03-2013, 03:51 PM
20 people started the Black Hole (with 21 finishing)...

I'll take the bait. Who gave birth?

Bob

Felicia
01-03-2013, 03:52 PM

Bob

LOL - it's about time someone asked! I've been wondering all day. :-)

ratagonia
01-03-2013, 04:01 PM

Bob

Eric Godfrey...

...came down for the fun, but was not really up for the Black Hole journey, so he hiked in to meet us near the end. Thanks Eric, good to see ya!

Tom

Felicia
01-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Very nice!

Sombeech
01-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Pics or it didn't happen!

ratagonia
01-04-2013, 10:38 PM
such as...

optikal
01-04-2013, 11:38 PM
December 29th - Hog 1 (Boss Hawg) & Hog 2
FreezefestXIHog12

December 30th - Paradiso
FreezefestXIParadiso

December 31st - Hog 4 (Miss Piggy) & Hog 3 (Razorback)
FreezefestXIHog43

January 1st - Black Hole
FreezefestXIBlackHole

:2thumbs: