PDA

View Full Version : The Squeeze and Bolts :-(

rsmiller
11-24-2012, 05:00 PM
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]Finally did Cable and Squeeze (aka Segers) this week. Ihad been looking forward to these canyons for a few years. Beautifulcanyons. Didn

ratagonia
11-24-2012, 06:15 PM
[QUOTE=rsmiller;518540][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]Finally did Cable and Squeeze (aka Segers) this week. I had been looking forward to these canyons for a few years. Beautiful canyons. Didn

rsmiller
11-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Yeah it was a bummer for me – especially given the anticipationfor a few years. I thought Quandary was harder, more interesting, and moresatisfying given the anchor building required.
Yeah those bolts are still missing. It looked like people have been using themiddle bolt scar as a hook placement. That is what we ended up doing. There werea few other raps – generally short ones – that had missing bolts.
What are the thoughts of filling in bolt scars with sandand epoxy? I have seen it done with success. If done well the scars are notvery visible or noticeable. It mightprevent new ones from appearing.

Kuya
11-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Seagers is one of my favorite canyons! It would be awesome to see that canyon clean. But it is still a really great canyon with, or without bolts :) My enjoyment of a canyon does not depend on weather I see a bolt or not though.

ratagonia
11-24-2012, 10:03 PM
It looked like people have been using the middle bolt scar as a hook placement. That is what we ended up doing.

There were a few other raps – generally short ones – that had missing bolts.

What are the thoughts of filling in bolt scars with sand and epoxy? I have seen it done with success. If done well the scars are not very visible or noticeable. It might prevent new ones from appearing.

At the end of September, there was a deadman for that rappel, with a sling coming out of the sand which was pretty new. That particular spot accesses considerable area, so rocks could be farmed to make a deadman, or a SandTrap could be used.

I don't remember any drops with "missing bolts". Do you mean, there were holes but not bolts, or just that the drops did not have bolts in evidence? Actually, I don't remember either of these situations at the end of September.

Filling holes with epoxy putty (PC-11) and patting some sand on the surface works pretty OK. It takes time, though.

The only empty holes I saw were those three... ???

Tom :moses:

rsmiller
11-25-2012, 06:08 AM
There were a few bolt scars near some of the anchors. Where it appeared 2 bolts had been and now only one remained. Or bolts had been moved. I'll see if I can dig up some photos.

heliski2
12-03-2012, 08:53 AM
How were the potholes in Cable? Dry, wet? Any pics?