PDA

View Full Version : Moab Bogley Winterfest?

Iceaxe
11-22-2012, 07:01 PM
This first post will be updated until noon Friday (Feb 22).

I'm not making any promises with regards to the Fiery Furnace routes. Those that signed up and made this happen back in November through the Groupon deal will be given first priority. Group size is limited in the Firey Furnace.

We'll be down Saturday and Sunday (February 23 & 24) and staying at the Canyonlands Bestwestern. We will meet in the BW parking lot Saturday morning at 8:30 a.m. I'll be easy to find as I'll be sorting gear on the tailgate of a white Toyota Tacoma.

With the exception of ropes, the Moab routes all take about the same gear and time commitment (4 to 5 hours). The one exception would be Granary Canyon which is a full day.

If someone was going to lead Granary (I'm not), they would need to met earlier and plan the trip out beforehand.

We will be in Moab Friday afternoon (6:00 ish).

Currently we have someone to lead the Firey Furnace Saturday (Moab Mark) and Sunday (Iceaxe) conditions permitting.

Everyone should met ready to roll with the exception of ropes. If you have ropes bring them as some of the routes (Lomatium) require lots of rope.

Everyone is welcome provided you finish reading this post and believe you meet the requirements.

Below is a short list of what is expected of people showing up at a "fest" that involves technical canyons.

There is no cost for this trip, we are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before the Bogleyfest. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle if your route contains water. If you feel you need help in the canyons let someone know.... but ultimately.... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

Equipment:
Everyone is responsible for a harness, two locking biners, and a rappel devise that you know how to use! Helmets are advised, (bicycle helmets work for noobs).

Most Moab area canyons are dry, but some routes are wet... its up to you to know the difference and prepare properly. If the route is wet a full wetsuit is required this time of year. You will also want a dry bag to keep anything you want to stay dry in. If you need equipment post and maybe someone else can help you out.

Canyoneering Gear
http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

Rope: We need several folks to bring ropes.

____ Original First Post Below ____

I'm thinking maybe we should do a Moab Bogley Winterfest, what do you think? I know all the routes (including Lomatium and Krill) and I'm happy show others. I also know of some amazing rock art that few others are aware of. This might be the perfect time to get your wife/GF (but not both at the same time) interested in the sport. Warm comfortable bed, drinks at the pool, nice dinners and fun canyons.....

The reason I thought it might work is Groupon has a really good deal for the Moab Bestwestern Canyonlands going right now. This is one of the better/best motels in Moab and it's $59 a night between now and the end of February. They have a covered pool and hot tub, which makes the evenings a little more fun for a group. The deal also includes breakfest.

Groupon Bestwestern Moab Deal

(http://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-best-western-canyonlands?utm_campaign=UserReferral_dp&utm_mediu m=email&utm_source=uu48787751)Anyhoo.... I bought a 2 night deal and will be down to Moab so if anyone else is interested lets see what we can put together. You have until midnight Monday to purchase the deal. I'm pretty open on the dates at the moment, but after the first of the year is preferred. You could save a few bucks by staying elsewhere and booking at the Bestwestern is not a requirement of the Bogleyfest if it is to happen. I just thought it might be a good chance to get everyone in one place.

So lets make it happen....

:stud:

2065toyota
11-22-2012, 09:03 PM
My January and feb are pretty open. Been to Moab tons of times but have never done any canyons. I will do everything I can to make it whatever weekend is chosen

New Mexico
11-22-2012, 10:42 PM
My wife and I game, just let us know what weekend.

Scott P
11-23-2012, 06:48 AM
I'll go, but I'm in Nepal December 8 through January 4, so it would have to be outside that time period.

Iceaxe
11-23-2012, 06:54 AM
February 9 (Sat.) & 10 (Sun.)

Book nights of 8th (Fri) and 9th (Sat).

That gives everyone plenty of time to make it work. If you are going to use the Groupon deal you have to purchase it before midnight Monday.

On other item, if you buy the Groupon deal you must make your reservation before January 11th to get the $59.

Sent using Tapatalk

Scott P
11-23-2012, 06:58 AM
OK, we're in.

hikster11
11-23-2012, 05:02 PM
I,m in

cookiecutter
11-24-2012, 11:19 PM
I've never been to Moab, but have been wanting to get some canyons in during the winter months..would there be any places nearby for some less than rich college guys to camp? This trip sounds completely possible unless I get booked for a recruiting assignment.

DiscGo
11-25-2012, 05:31 AM
I can't commit yet, but I am very interested and am going to try.

tuffshed
11-25-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm interested as well and will have to check my calendar. I've been to Moab perhaps a hundred times but have yet to visit any of the canyons so I'm hyped to go.

Homeslice
11-25-2012, 12:16 PM
COUNT ME IN !

Felicia
11-25-2012, 12:44 PM
We might join in - gotta check the work calendar.

LVRAY
11-25-2012, 07:21 PM
My wife & I are interested.

Scott P
11-26-2012, 06:42 AM
How do you get the Moab deal? Nothing for Moab comes up for me.

Edit: Found it. Had to Google the specific deal to do so. Now that it is purchased though, it says it expires January 13 2013?

Iceaxe
11-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Try this link:

Canyonlands Bestwestern $59 (http://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-best-western-canyonlands?utm_campaign=UserReferral_dp&utm_mediu m=email&utm_source=uu48787751)

The deal ends at midnight.

Iceaxe
11-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Alright... We are all booked for the nights of February 8th (Fri) and 9th (Sat). It was simple, just buy the groupon, print it out, call the number on the coupon and make the resevation.

:cool2:

Those staying else where you are on your own for lodging and hooking up. There is lots of BLM camping along the Colorado River.

Felicia
11-26-2012, 12:04 PM
We might join in - gotta check the work calendar.

Booked! :2thumbs:

Brian in SLC
11-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Hmmm...could always do a half day of ice climbing too if Pleades is in, and/or ski the La Sals.

New Mexico
11-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Reservations are made, looking forward to the trip.

Iceaxe
11-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Edit: Found it. Had to Google the specific deal to do so. Now that it is purchased though, it says it expires January 13 2013?

You must make your reservation before January 13th and it has to be used before February 28th to get the $59 room.

Sent using Tapatalk

deagol
11-26-2012, 04:48 PM
we are in, reservations made...

Brian in SLC
11-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Ditto. Reservations done. BW location looks sweet and the price was great. King suite? Yeah, we're worth it.

Will have a cold beer for you, Shane!

2065toyota
11-27-2012, 02:02 PM
So I fell asleep watching TV and missed the groupon. I keep trying to make friends with procrastination but so far it hasn't been working out. However, the Bighorn Lodge has rooms for $59 for anybody that missed it. I have stayed there a few times. It's a little older, but it has always been clean and is located in the middle of town

Scott P
11-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Aarchway Inn is also running a special for $59 a night for that time period. Bighorn isn't bad (I've stayed there several times), but Aarchway is much nicer (plus has a full breakfast buffet) and probably the nicest hotel I've stayed in Moab to date (I haven't stayed in this Best Western-Feb will be my first time).

Brian in SLC
11-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Not sure if the Roadway is open, but, its ok too.

We'll be there three nights starting on thursday...and...will probably climb at least part of one or more days.

Scott P
11-27-2012, 02:45 PM
will probably climb at least part of one or more days.

If you ever need a fat belay person who can only climb 5.8, let me know. Will bring cookies.

Eric Holden
11-27-2012, 02:48 PM
If you ever need a fat belay person who can only climb 5.8, let me know. Will bring cookies.

Sounds like you're talkin' about me there Scott......

Brian in SLC
11-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Sounds like you're talkin' about me there Scott...

There's a few of us might vie for that spot! Ha ha...

If its cold enough, we'll probably try to get Pleiades done as an ice route....

Haven't climbed Owl Rock in Arches in a gob of years either ('86 or so? Yikes). Off Balance Rock, Bullwinkle, Tonka...ton's of fairly easy/moderate stuff to do. I haven't done Elephant Butte either... As much as I hate it (due to its influence on the climbing management plan in Canyonlands), Potash is fairly fun and you can't beat the approach (ahem).

More importantly, we'll have to put together a spot for suppage/swillage. I hope Moab Brewery is open...(closed last time I was in Moab last winter).

hikster11
11-28-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm going down the 7th. Hopefully a few others come early also. I see Brain in SLC is but I'm not a climber, I'm looking to do a canyon on Friday.

New Mexico
11-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Duane We could probably meet up on Friday to do a canyon

hikster11
11-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Sounds good. I'm staying at the Best Western. Did you get the Groupon deal also?

Don
11-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Shoot. This sounds fun but I'll be in Virginia all of February for work. :sad:

New Mexico
11-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Yes on the Groupon deal

AJ
11-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Figures. You guys are going on the one weekend I already have lined up for Ice Climbing with a bunch of friends. Afraid I'm going to miss the Winterfest, so hope everyone has a great time!

slim
11-30-2012, 01:27 PM
So Shane, what kind of hiking do you have in mind? Technical canyons, I assume?
Will it be wet, cold, wetsuit kind of stuff?

I'd LOVE to get down there and meet a bunch of you folks and have some fun. I've been mostly "readin'" this site for some years and getting down to Utah when I can with family and a few friends.

This sounds like major fun.

Mike

Iceaxe
11-30-2012, 01:44 PM
I plan on doing dry or mild wading type canyons. Rock of Ages will probably be one as it's easy to take a large group through. Depends a lot on who goes, who is willing to lead, yada yada.... but Elephant Butte, Lomatium, and Granery are all high on my list. U turn and Tierdrop are dry and easy.

Sent using Tapatalk

moab mark
11-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Shane is your wife going?

Iceaxe
11-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Shane is your wife going?

YES, when I originally envisioned this trip I thought it would make a great couples trip. My wife likes the no-camping, warm beds, hot tub, drinks at the pool, nice restaurant trips a lot more than sleeping in the dirt. In fact I booked a suite to put a smile on her face and it was only $10 more.

2065toyota
11-30-2012, 05:01 PM
My wife is planning on coming as well. I don't care if we wet or dry canyons

hikster11
11-30-2012, 05:08 PM
New Mexico and I plan on doing Granary on Friday. Any one can join use. Shane what day do you plan on doing Lomatium? I would really like to do the routes through the Fiery Furnace

Iceaxe
11-30-2012, 10:23 PM
I'll make specific canyon plans about a week out when we know who is coming and who is capable of leading what. I'm easy and plan to help where I can do the most good.

Sent using Tapatalk

Rob L
12-05-2012, 01:25 PM
This Bogleyfest appeals to me, because I haven't been to Utah in February, but I have a prior engagement at the same time (non-Canyoneering) in Krak

scrappybts
12-17-2012, 05:38 PM
First time poster here. My fiance and I love Moab and are planning on coming. We're fairly new to canyoneering. I read a lot, but I need to gain some XP :mrgreen:. Can't wait!

Iceaxe
12-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Welcome to bogley.

Sent using Tapatalk

DougInGJCO
12-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Winter Fest - will there be any registration, canyon sign-ups?

If we are not staying at the Best Western how, where will connections get made?

Headed to Moab this New Years weekend too.

Iceaxe
12-26-2012, 06:39 AM
Winter Fest - will there be any registration, canyon sign-ups?

This Moab fest will be very informal. We will probably designated a place to meet each morning and go from there. That has worked great in the past.

We have tried the formal canyon sign-ups and such in the past and that system falls apart almost instantly when people meet and start mingling.

Sent using Tapatalk

Canyon Rat
01-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Hi all!
My name is Sal Ciro and I'm very new to the Bogley Community. I wanted to say that a group of about a dozen (so far) advanced beginner-intermediate canyoneers from the Western Slope Adventurer meetup group are planning to attend and would make good participants but do not know the routes. Friday and Saturday would be the target dates. Would anyone be willing and commit in advance to lead Lo, Krill, Rock Ages, etc.? Thanks.
Best, be safe.
Sal

bowjunkie
01-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Might hop down for dinner one niteand meet a few of ya'll

moab mark
01-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Just found out I have a Hockey Tournament that weekend. Have to bail.:facepalm1:

DougInGJCO
01-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Hello All,:naughty:
So, today I ask, Shane and others . .. . do you know of canyons I do not know that may be snow and ice free that may make a trip to Moab worthwhile Feb. 8-10?

On January 23rd the bike gang at Poison Spider sent an email letting me know the ground in their area was still 90% covered with snow. I live in Fruita, CO and our ground was 100% covered at that time.

Now, after a warm storm passing through, our ground is 90% snow covered so I am guessing Moab and it's higher reaches is probably still snow clad also. Temperatures are due to barely reach 32, if that for the coming week with single digit night-time lows.

We were in Fiery Furnace over New Year's weekend and at that time access to Lomation was guarded by icy slabs within the fins. Granted, had all in our party had ice grippers (Kahtoola Micro-Spikes preferred) we might have passed some of the ice but at what cost - spike marks and slides on the rock. That is hardly the way for canyoneers to treat an area that thousands of people visit every year; and, the Park Service may limit our use of if we do not show adequate stewardship?

Additional info -- Tierdrop and many others of that sort are north facing so even last year, an almost snow-less year on Moab red rock, visits by our group of canyoneers found some of those were icy and potentially treacherous; again, made safer but less environmentally wise if all were wearing ice grippers.

So, back to the original question, who knows of canyons that might be accessed and 'safe' this time of year, this unique winter?:nod:

Scott P
01-28-2013, 06:36 AM
I was thinking the same thing and was going to post.

Arches is beautiful in the snow, but as mentioned technical canyons may be sketchy if the weather doesn't change.

Either way, there is always good stuff to do in Moab, even with snow.

http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/694192.JPG (http://www.summitpost.org/images/original/694192.JPG)

There are a few technical canyons that might be OK in the snow as well. Skiing/snowshoeing in the La Sals as well. Horse Bottom along Potash Road is usually a good one to visit when the area is snowy and should be a safe route.

Here are the Moab webcams and it does look snowy:

http://moablive.com/webcam.asp

brucelld
01-28-2013, 07:02 AM
Shane/Scott + all,
Bruce here,long time Moab local.
Re. conditions we have just had 48 hrs above freezing w/rain. A lot of snow now gone except on N & NE aspects. Calling for warmer by weeks end.
Would love to tie -in w/you to meet & greet but rehabbing Rotator Cuff 6-8 wks.
Let me know if there is anything I can do to aid the cause.
Bruce

Iceaxe
01-28-2013, 07:03 AM
We're going to Moab for something to do, exactly what we do is of little importance to my family. If the canyons are not doable we will switch to arch bagging or rock art and ruins.... to me it's all good...

That and I'm not worried about snow as the trip is still two weeks away and a lot can happened in that time.

Anyhoo... we will have fun with or without you, snow or no snow....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

2065toyota
01-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Unless something major comes up we are still in also

Felicia
01-28-2013, 01:08 PM
We're going to Moab for something to do, exactly what we do is of little importance to my family. If the canyons are not doable we will switch to arch bagging or rock art and ruins.... to me it's all good...

That and I'm not worried about snow as the trip is still two weeks away and a lot can happened in that time.

Anyhoo... we will have fun with or without you, snow or no snow....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

As of now, I'm not going to make it...but it sounds like I can jump back in if things change. Have fun! :nod:

TheBird
01-28-2013, 03:32 PM
So far my wife and I are in. Kind of depends on road conditions the day of our drive. Coming from western Montana.

Scott P
02-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Good news (from a canyoneering standpoint):

Most of the snow has melted around Moab and Arches. Temperatures tomorrow through Friday are supposed to be in the mid-40's though low 50's.

Bad news (from a canyoneering standpoint):

Another storm might hit this weekend, starting Friday night:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Moab&state=UT&site=GJT&textField1=38.5733&textField2=-109.549&e=0

PS, is anyone interesting in doing some climbing in Wall Street on one of the days?

DougInGJCO
02-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Here we are, a week (a little less) out, Shane. With the boggy nature of the ground I heard about in Moab yesterday and what I experienced today right behind Fruita, CO in the same or similar rock formations, I am wondering if this event is a 'GO'?

If it is, can you share some plans on what'll be happening.

You mentioned wanting to know who can lead what; I have done just about all the area trade routes found on Climb-Utah and can lead any of those for Bogley Fest canyoneers if the mud is not an event killer. I plan to come over maybe Friday night or early Satruday morning. Would we meet at your hotel? Or do you have another suggested rendevous spot for each morning?:roll:

Iceaxe
02-04-2013, 10:07 AM
From my prospective it would be much better to move this back two weeks. I have two reasons for doing so... the first is the weather is supposed to suck this weekend, second item is I have both my kids home from school sick today and I'm not sure how they will be doing by the weekend. The weather I can live with, but it's not much fun if part of your group is sick.

Thoughts?

Scott P
02-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Is it easy for all of us to change the hotel date? Someone should call and see if we can change the hotel date.

deagol
02-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Groupon deal (we already paid for it) needs to be used before end of February. We have work obligations for the rest of February, so can't make it work.

2065toyota
02-04-2013, 11:05 AM
I've set up a work meeting and a delivery of materials that I'm hauling up there on Friday so I will be there no matter if it gets changed or not.

okjay
02-04-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm in with my brother for this weekend.

Brian in SLC
02-04-2013, 12:41 PM
From my prospective it would be much better to move this back two weeks...Thoughts?

I moved my reservations at the BW to night of 21 checking out 24 a few weeks ago due to a shedule conflict. So, I'll be there that weekend regardless of what anyone else decides to do.

Forecast for this weekend doesn't look great:

Friday A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 45.Friday Night A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21.
Saturday A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34.
Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15.
Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 34

Brian in SLC
02-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Also, with respect to the Groupon deal, I asked the BW what weekends were available and the weekend of 15/16 Feb. wasn't. But, that last weekend was: nights of 22/23 Feb. They rebooked me and sent a new confirmation number.

TheBird
02-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Now i am unable to make it. maybe next time. have fun all. be safe

deagol
02-04-2013, 02:41 PM
We are out also.... :sad:

Iceaxe
02-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Because of family issues and the weather forecast I rebooked for the nights of Feb 22 & 23.

Scott P
02-05-2013, 06:01 AM
I could do either weekend, but who is in for this weekend?

So as to not leave anyone hanging I could lead some canyons this weekend, but the catch is I don't think I could lead the stuff in the Fiery Furnace. I haven't done those canyons for 10 years and don't think I could find the approach.

If not many people are going this weekend, I'll change my hotel to February 22-24, but feel free to speak up if you are dead set on this weekend.

FNG
02-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Hey all. New to the forum (hence the 'FNG' name :roll_lol:) Google'd Utah hiking forums this morning and seems that y'all are a pretty fun group of people. Trying to venture out to new places and people and came across this adventure trip, which seems pretty simple and low key. I love most of everything outdoors, I just dont have any gear i.e. ropes, spikes, harness, or anything like that. Just the clothes on my back and some hiking boots. Is there anything required for this?

I'm looking at going the 22-23rd.

Iceaxe
02-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Is there anything required for this?

Below is a short list of what is expected of people showing up at a "fest" that involves technical canyons.

There is no cost for this trip, we are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before the Bogleyfest. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle if your route contains water. If you feel you need help in the canyons let someone know.... but ultimately.... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

Equipment:
Everyone is responsible for a harness, two locking biners, and a rappel devise that you know how to use! Helmets are advised, (bicycle helmets work for noobs).

Most Moab area canyons are dry, but some routes are wet... its up to you to know the difference and prepare properly. If the route is wet a full wetsuit is required this time of year. You will also want a dry bag to keep anything you want to stay dry in. If you need equipment post and maybe someone else can help you out.

Canyoneering Gear

Scott P
02-05-2013, 03:31 PM

Yes, good list, and I would also add that if anyone doesn't have technical experience, but wanted to come anyway, there are still plenty of non technical things to do in the area as well.

okjay
02-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Scott, myself and my brother will be in Moab Fri-Sun. We are experienced, but were originally hoping to explore Fiery Furnace. We would be willing to explore other areas.
The weather is also looking a bit better than it did a week ago.

Homeslice
02-05-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm going to have to eject also. :sad:

hikster11
02-06-2013, 04:17 AM
Rescheduled for the 22 -23

Scott P
02-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Since almost everyone else has changed, I changed my reservation as well. I am now going 22-23.

Okjay, maybe some other time. If you need some beta for this weekend, let me know.

okjay
02-06-2013, 08:56 AM

FNG
02-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the info. I've done some rappelling but it was roughly 5 years ago and only a few times. If anyone is willing to assist me and learning the "ropes" of canyoneering I would be greatful, and likely buy you beers that night!?? I also plan on going down to Canyon Sports and having them teach me what I need to know. I'm quick to learn new things and dont have a fear of much. If so I plan on getting some gear so I can join y'all on the 22nd.

DougInGJCO
02-06-2013, 11:38 AM
I think based on the mud today and the snow-rain forecast for the next few days a re-schedule looks prudent. A bunch of us will have to miss it the last weekend of the month as we have a canyoneering skills practice that has long been on the calander that weekend in Grand Junction.

Fun and best wishes to all who will be enjoying Moab and surrounds,

BTW here is a link to our event in GJ the same weekend http://www.meetup.com/WesternSlopeAdventurers/events/98093862/

DougInGJCO
02-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Hey Scott I see that you live in Craig, CO. Check out this group which does a lot of canyoneering and is based in GJ, right along your way to UT. We are free to join and lots of fun. http://www.meetup.com/WesternSlopeAdventurers/events/98093862/

DougInGJCO
02-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Shane are you now suggesting the 1st weekend of March? Say March 1,2 &3?

Iceaxe
02-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Shane are you now suggesting the 1st weekend of March? Say March 1,2 &3?

My rooms are booked for February 22 and 23, checking out the 24th.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Scott P
02-12-2013, 07:53 AM
So, what is everyone interested in? I am most interested in doing Elephant Butte or any of the Fiery Furnace stuff.

Iceaxe
02-12-2013, 01:01 PM
I'll probably do Rock of Ages Saturday as it is one of the few routes my kids haven't done and I have no video of the route. It's a route that also allows for a large group so anyone can join the fun.

Sunday I am pretty open.... :cool2:

rockgremlin
02-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Rock of Ages has that little spot where the canyon narrows for about 20 feet, and there is always water there. Are you just assuming it to be frozen or are you dry-suiting it?

Iceaxe
02-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Silly pony.... I'm just planning on wading through the water without a wetsuit... same as we always do...

http://climb-utah.com/Moab/Files/rockofages5.jpg

Brian in SLC
02-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Shane, how long does Rock of Ages take (guess-timate of course)?

I'd be psyched for Elephant Butte too, and, Owl Rock is nearby (haven't climbed it since '86). Plenty o' fun!

I think we'll probably try to do Pleiades on Friday. Anyone know conditions, ie, is the middle got ice or is it a rock climb? Depending on motivation and how fast we are, possible we'd hit either Wall Street or the Ice Cream Parlor later in the day. Maybe. Ha ha.

My partner is more of a climber but interested in a day of canyoning. If you had to pick one, given the season, which?

Moab Brewery which night? Saturday? Someone should run trap on a number of folks and maybe we can nail down a table?

hikster11
02-13-2013, 09:40 PM
Im interested in Fiery Furnace

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Iceaxe
02-13-2013, 10:11 PM
ROA - 5 hours
Elephant - 4 hours
Lomatium - 5 hours (limited group size)

Depends who else knows which routes.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Scott P
02-14-2013, 06:26 AM
Lomatium - 5 hours (limited group size)

This is the one I'd be most interested in, but I don't think I could remember the access route. It's been 10 years since I last did it. Is anyone who knows the route interested?

Elephant Butte wouldn't be a problem for me to lead.

PS, I'd be interested in climbing Owl Rock.

New Mexico
02-15-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm game for Fiery Furnace

Brian in SLC
02-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Weather is looking "ok" for the weekend...

Thursday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.Friday Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41.
Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21.
Saturday A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41.
Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21.
Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 38.
Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21.

We'll probably get to Moab on Thursday night post 8pm or so. Might stop at Ray's in GR for burger action enroute...

Scott P
02-20-2013, 06:07 AM
So what time and where is everyone meeting Saturday morning? The time is getting close.

moab mark
02-20-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm trying to make it down. Have to find someone to coach a BBall game Sat. How many are going? I can lead a group thru the furnace if some are interested. Does anyone know if there is snow in the furnace?

Brian in SLC
02-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Update to forecast...looks like the temp's have popped up a bit:

Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 42. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 21.
Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 47.
Saturday Night A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21.
Sunday A slight chance of snow. Mostly sunny, with a high near 44.

A friend and I will be there from Thursday night on. We should be fairly self contained but could be willing to add onto a group too. I'll have a gob of ropes...

We'll be at the BW (groupon dealio).

Iceaxe
02-20-2013, 09:11 AM
We'll be down Saturday and Sunday and staying at the Canyonlands Bestwestern. I'd suggest we meet in the BW parking lot Saturday morning at 8:30 a.m. I'll be easy to find as I'll be sorting gear on the tailgate of a white Toyota Tacoma.

With the exception of ropes, the Moab routes all take about the same gear and time commitment (4 to 5 hours). The one exception would be Granary Canyon which is a full day.

If someone was going to lead Granary (I'm not), they would need to met earlier and plan the trip out beforehand.

We plan to stop for dinner at Grogg's on the way down Friday afternoon (6:00 ish). Friday night we will probably be at the pool or the bar.

If someone else is going that can lead some of the Firey Furnace routes please PM me so we can try and work something out that allows everyone interested to visit the place (conditions permitting). I'm pretty open as to what I do.

Everyone should met ready to roll with the exception of ropes. If you have ropes bring them as some of the rioutes (Lomatium) require lots of rope.

Iceaxe
02-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Hmm... these pages are live Moab cam feeds

http://moablive.com/webcam.asp

http://us.webcams.travel/webcam/1233771835-Weather-Moab-(Island-in-the-Sky)-Moab

If the snow is bad we might be more interested in rockart and ruins. I do know some great stuff in the area with the same type of time commitments.

moab mark
02-20-2013, 09:26 AM
I don't think those are live? They have been the same for a month.

Brian in SLC
02-20-2013, 10:22 AM
These all appear live:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/camera/single/RedCliffsLodge.php

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/camera/single/Moab.php

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/camera/single/MoabCastleton.php

moab mark
02-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Golf course said there is a bit of snow in the shade. They have been open for a few weeks.

Brian in SLC
02-20-2013, 02:31 PM
The evolving forecast:

Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 46. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 21.
Saturday A chance of rain and snow after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Saturday Night A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23.
Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 39.

Iceaxe
02-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Lomatium in the snow... February 2012

hikster11
02-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Shane
I see that you plan on Rock of Ages on Saturday. Are you still willing to take some people through Lomatium and Krill? I dont think many know the route.:nod:

Iceaxe
02-20-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm trying to work it out so we have a firey furnace trip Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully that gets everyone through that wants to go in a reasonable size group. I need someone to step up and lead either the Saturday or Sunday group. I do have one person that might do it but nothing for sure yet.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

moab mark
02-20-2013, 05:36 PM
I got it worked out I'll be there. I can do either day. Lomatium or krill or both I'm easy.

hikster11
02-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Cool I would like to both if possible. I dont care what day. Thanks

moab mark
02-20-2013, 06:31 PM
If you have an efficient group you can do both in one day.

Miner bill
02-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Hey all,

Will anyone be around Friday. I would like to make a long day of it and try U- turn with my little guy, then hang out for some meetin' and greetin' before buzzing home. I can make town before lunch. I don't know if I have enough posts for Pm's so we may need to hash it out here.

I'm newish to the canyons. Climbing since '75. Vertical caving and alpine experience.
Little guy is 6 and seems confident on the rope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

moab mark
02-21-2013, 03:58 AM

Scott P
02-21-2013, 06:45 AM
30% chance of snow and rain Saturday, but not bad:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.5733155&lon=-109.54983950000002&site=all&smap=1&searchresult=Moab%2C%20UT%2084532%2C%20USA

Miner bill
02-21-2013, 05:00 PM
For any lurking noobs, I've got enough gear and rope to lead this route and offer belays on the raps. Let me know.

Iceaxe
02-21-2013, 06:43 PM
For any lurking noobs, I've got enough gear and rope to lead this route and offer belays on the raps. Let me know.

Anyone is welcome.... provided you have read this entire post.

When we say lead that means you have done the route before and can repeat it without getting everyone lost. Experienced canyoneers are always more than welcome to help round out a group and provide experience and safety.

Equipment:

Canyoneering Gear

Iceaxe
02-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Everything you need to know is now in the first post of this thread. I'll keep it updated until noon Friday (Feb 22).

Conditions permitting.... we will have Moab Mark to lead the Firey Furnace on Saturday and Iceaxe to lead it Sunday.

:bandit:

Miner bill
02-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Got to start them somewhere.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?52863-UTurn-with-young-kids

I hope anyone that wanted to go would have read the guidelines. I thought this could be a nice warm-up for more challenging adventures Saturday and Sunday. I know it is difficult with a noob to the boards offering up help, but I can assure you all that my outdoor and rope handling skills are beyond solid. The offer was not made lightly. I hope the outcome of the weekend is that new people are met and maybe new friends made.

Cheers :friday:

Iceaxe
02-21-2013, 07:28 PM
The offer was not made lightly. I hope the outcome of the weekend is that new people are met and maybe new friends made.

Friends and fun... :2thumbs: You have come to the right place.

With regards to offering help, I was confused if you were offering rope skills or route knowledge. Both are very valuable at a Bogleyfest and always welcome.

:nod:

shae
02-21-2013, 07:35 PM
I have a small group (6) coming down to do canyons in Moab this weekend. I just barely found out about the fest this weekend. We are planning to try the canyons on the east side of the park Sat. (Undercover, MMI etc.) We would like to meet up Sun for a little fiery furnace action on Sun.

shae
02-21-2013, 07:40 PM
(I have read the entire thread.) We have plenty of gear. Holler if you need ropes or anything else.

shae
02-21-2013, 07:42 PM
just curious if anyone decided to do any ice down there?

Iceaxe
02-21-2013, 09:41 PM
I have a small group (6) coming down to do canyons in Moab this weekend. I just barely found out about the fest this weekend. We are planning to try the canyons on the east side of the park Sat. (Undercover, MMI etc.) We would like to meet up Sun for a little fiery furnace action on Sun.

If you have a group of six you are probably on your own with regards to the Furnace. I believe FF groups are limited to 10 max (maybe 12) if I recall correctly and I believe those that signed on back in November should be given first preference.

FWIW - group size is something we want to be careful with as it is at the top of Arches NP new management which has yet to be finalized.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Raul
02-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Packed up and ready to go!

Miner bill
02-22-2013, 05:52 AM
Well, a bunch of crap fell apart at work and it is snowing a pretty good lick here. :cold:
Looks as if I'll have to fester with the bunch at a later date. Stay warm and have fun!:2thumbs:

Brian in SLC
02-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Just gettin' going but, we're planning on heading up high for ice today. Will report on conditions later tonight.

Rays in Green River still has good burgers and fries.

BW is nice, perhaps too nice for the likes of us. Bacon is thin and a tad greasy, ham is ok, eggs ok. Fresh made waffles are nice. Yogurt, toast, cereal...pretty nice breakfast.

North aspects down to town have a skiff of snow. Not deep it seems. Other aspects are clear. Not sure how that bodes for confined, shady slots.

Updated forecast:

Today Scattered snow showers, mainly before noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 41. West northwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.Tonight Partly cloudy, with a low around 24. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south southeast after midnight.
Saturday A chance of rain and snow showers before 2pm, then a chance of rain showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 47. South southeast wind 10 to 15 mph becoming west northwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Saturday Night A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23. West northwest wind 10 to 15 mph decreasing to 5 to 10 mph after midnight.
Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 38. West northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 19.

Iceaxe
02-22-2013, 10:13 AM
I keep receiving PM's from goups wanting to add on to the Firey Furnace at the last minute...

I'm not making any promises with regards to the Fiery Furnace routes. Those that signed up and made this happen back in November through the Groupon deal will be given first priority, that is only fair. Group size is limited in the Firey Furnace and we only have a couple of people to lead that know the routes.

airman
02-22-2013, 10:56 AM
How many people are in line for the Fiery Furnace, Iceaxe?

Iceaxe
02-22-2013, 11:42 AM
I don't have an exact count. About a week ago it looked like we would have about 18 to 20 total attending so I rounded up two people who could lead the Furnace.

In the past two days more have asked to attend. Everyone is welcome to come, just understand if you are one that is late to the party the Furnace might not be an option unless someone else steps up to help lead.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Scott P
02-22-2013, 12:13 PM
I was hoping to do the Furnace stuff, but if there isn't room, I could do something like Elephant Butte. I have already done the Furnace canyons (but don't remember enough to lead them), so I can give someone else a chance to see them. Also there will be four of us (though I don't know if 2 or 4 would do the furnace). If space is a factor, and if all four of us want to stick together, maybe I shouldn't go as my family would be 40% of the group. I wouldn't want to be unfair to anyone. If space isn't a problem, I'd really like to go to the Furnace.

Anyway, I'll just meet everyone at 8:30 am tomorrow and go from there. There are plenty of things to do in Moab.

hikster11
02-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Shane

Are we meeting up somewhere for dinner or just breakfast in the morning at our hotel?

2065toyota
02-22-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm pretty bummed I can't make it there. I had too many arrangements made to be there for the original weekend and this one. Have fun and be careful

moab mark
02-22-2013, 05:57 PM
I'm getting greased as usual at ZACS. There proud of their pizza.

Brian in SLC
02-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Pleiades had interesting conditions. Deep snow in the creekbed on the approach. First drop had some ice. Second was bone dry. We looked down to the third but could just see snow. Strange. That's as far as we ventured.

Nice day today! Had some flurries off and on up high, maybe an inch of new snow, but, didn't appear to be any new precip near town.

2065toyota
02-22-2013, 08:13 PM
I'm getting greased as usual at ZACS. There proud of their pizza.

Zax has great food and the owners are awesome. They also own the Archway Inn

moab mark
02-23-2013, 02:12 PM
I reserved the big room at the Mexican joint for 6 if we want to go there? Foyer 545?

Iceaxe
02-23-2013, 03:57 PM
The Moab Brewery Team had a great day in Rock of Ages.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/24/9e5a9a9e.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/24/u4ygybap.jpg

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

moab mark
02-24-2013, 01:02 PM
We had a great time yesterday. Cruised thru Lomatium and Krill. Had a good fast group. Someone left a black Columbia jacket in my truck. If its yours let me know and I'll get it to you.

Iceaxe
02-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Here is a video of the Saturday Rock of Ages crew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbZ1k9lsFLc

FWIW: The canyon was dry, which made everyone happy. We skipped the stunt rappel. The pool at the bottom of Pool Arch is currently a swimmer and the deepest I have ever seen it.

Spam: Your can subscribe to my YouTube channel and get easy access to nearly 100 video's of Utah Canyons and updates when new video's are added.

Climb-Utah YouTube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/CanyoneerUT?feature=mhee)

Iceaxe
03-04-2013, 03:10 PM
FWIW: I posted our Sunday adventure here:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?67787

It snowed a couple inches Saturday night so a group of us visited some rock art on Sunday.

Did the other crew make it to the top of Elephant Butte in the snow?

hikster11
03-04-2013, 07:01 PM
I attempted to do it. We got to the first crack and it was covered with snow and ice. I decide it wasn't worth the risk and turn around.