PDA

View Full Version : What is in your self rescue or SHTF kit.

dweaver2130
11-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Hey everybody, I am still new, in fact just did my first canyon this past week. Have been receiving training and doing lots of practice here and there. Next phase for me is ascending and self-rescue. I am looking at building a gear set, trying to keep weight as low as possible, and keep functionality high. Here is what I am thinking...

Petzl Micro Traxion
Wild Country Ropeman
Petzl Oscilante Pulley
1/2" webbing foot sling

I figure with this as a kit the wife and I can set up a Z rig, and have several ascending options. Is this too over the top, right on, or just plain dumb? What are the Bogley experts carrying on their harness for such situations?

dougr
11-17-2012, 07:03 AM
I carry way too much stuff. Actually all that (but Kong Duck over a Ropeman), plus multiple extra rap devices, multiple prussiks, multiple runners, min 50' of webbing (rather than pre-tied stuff like you have), 2 knives, way too many biners, another pulley from yours, emergency blankets, sam splints, small first aid kit, and on. I spread my stuff around the group. I'm prepared for all sorts of situations in my own group and for others.

2065toyota
11-17-2012, 04:23 PM
I am still evolving with my stuff but stay simple and light. Pre tied webbing for anchors doubles as safety tie off and foot holds if needed. Tiblocs in my pack. Prusiks on my harness. 4 locking and 4 non lockin biners. Headlamp, lighter, lighter, 5 hour energy, poncho, safety blanket, extra ATC. I used to carry way too much. The lighter you go the faster and farther you can go. I try to learn something new from every person I go with. And don't forget the duct or gorilla tape

tcott
11-18-2012, 06:40 AM
Don't forget one of these :haha:

Iceaxe
11-18-2012, 08:05 AM
The only thing I carry in addition to my standard biners and webbing is a pair of Petzl Tiblocs.

Light is right and lighter is righter....