PDA

View Full Version : Paving Burr Trail switchbacks?

clikrf8
11-15-2012, 05:20 PM
I was googling "Burr Trail Switchbacks" when I saw an article from a year ago about a possible paving of the dirt road from Burr Trail Road to Notom Bullfrog Rd in the SLC paper. Is this still on the table? We were there a few weeks ago and liked it just the way it is. I know it is in a national park but hey, let's not pave everything in sight. Any enlightenment?

ratagonia
11-16-2012, 01:24 PM
I was googling "Burr Trail Switchbacks" when I saw an article from a year ago about a possible paving of the dirt road from Burr Trail Road to Notom Bullfrog Rd in the SLC paper. Is this still on the table? We were there a few weeks ago and liked it just the way it is. I know it is in a national park but hey, let's not pave everything in sight. Any enlightenment?

The County (Garfield?) has proposed it several times, even sent out the trucks once, into the National Park, to do some work. Didn't go over so well.

Their idea is that people heading to BullFrog would prefer that to the Price/Hanksville route. Like pulling a boat down the switchbacks, even paved, would be "fun".

So it comes up once in a while. Don't sweat it - will "never" happen.

Tom

clikrf8
11-16-2012, 04:14 PM
I can't see pulling a boat down those switchbacks, especially the big powerboats we saw a few years ago on Hwy 24 in September. In early November we only saw one Northbound from Hanksville. I can't see those RV rentals cruising down them either: hairpins are too tight. I hope you are right.