PDA

View Full Version : An Adventure in Zion - Nov 2012 - The Stinger

ratagonia
11-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Descended a rarely-descended canyon in the heart of Zion this past weekend. Thanks to Mike Schasch and Matt Brejcha for getting the rope up there...

pics and story:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/the-stinger-canyoneering-descent-in-the-heart-of-zion/

Tom

tanya
11-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Wonderful story and photos Tom!

Slot Machine
11-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Nice work Tom!

Mountaineer
11-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Wow! Navigating cliffs, narrows, hazards, and rappelling all through an unknown canyon in the dark? Wow, that takes some guts.

And do you really sleep? Maybe a couple of pills helped knock you out. Other tricks?

Given all the elements involved, definitely expert level stuff here. Great report and congratulations.

ratagonia
11-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Wow! Navigating cliffs, narrows, hazards, and rappelling all through an unknown canyon in the dark? Wow, that takes some guts.

And do you really sleep? Maybe a couple of pills helped knock you out. Other tricks?

Given all the elements involved, definitely expert level stuff here. Great report and congratulations.

As semi-unplanned bivies go, this one was might comfortable. Foam from the pack, down jacket, warm hat, shell with hood, legs in the pack, rope for a pillow. Mike gave me the foil blankie which helped a lot. Mike had a tiny bivy bag; matt had a tiny sil tarp.

Slept reasonably well. Would wake from the cold every hour or two, do some exercises to get the blood flowing again, fall back asleep. I took some IBU and a Benedryl with my last half-swallow of water. A good thing about hiking through the dark - the first third of the night was spent moving, so only 8 hours of bivy.

Tom

Rob L
11-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Lovely TR and pics. That's a big rap; 310 feet.

Tom, I assume you're fully recovered from last years little trip up...12 months ago now I guess.

ratagonia
11-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Lovely TR and pics. That's a big rap; 310 feet.

Tom, I assume you're fully recovered from last years little trip up...12 months ago now I guess.

Thanks Rob. 7 days short of 12 months. Woke up about a month ago and had this feeling something was wrong... took me two hours to realize it was the first time I did not hurt since the Tumble.

:moses:

Brian in SLC
11-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Descended a rarely-descended canyon in the heart of Zion this past weekend.

Adding bolts to a canyon that had been already descended? The horror!

Ha ha.

Great lookin', and, burly adventure. Nice TR!

dweaver2130
11-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Amazing pics, totally jealous.

deathtointernet
11-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Good one, it's hard not to wonder about that canyon every time I drive past and catch a glimpse of it.