PDA

View Full Version : ATS as a releasable anchor?

dweaver2130
11-07-2012, 07:05 PM
I recently heard some scuttlebutt over using a Sterling ATS to rig a retrievable anchor. It was talked about in passing so I received no other details. Does anyone have any ideas?

moab mark
11-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Retrievable or Releasable?

dweaver2130
11-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Guess I am too new...I had no idea there was a difference. Not sure, but I was told retrievable.

oldno7
11-08-2012, 09:08 PM
You sure you don't mean contingency?
It will work for that.

dweaver2130
11-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Nope guy said it was a new trick he would have to show me sometime, and I can't wrap my head on how you would, or even why you would risk leaving your $35 rappel device at the top and rappel on your backup.

moab mark
11-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Nope guy said it was a new trick he would have to show me sometime, and I can't wrap my head on how you would, or even why you would risk leaving your $35 rappel device at the top and rappel on your backup.

Just guessing but probably using the slots as a progress capture device and then pulling a pin out like the fiddlestick concept. With whatever is wrapped around the anchor all coming down together. Not sure would want my ATS coming down like a missle. Actually played around in Moab recently with a fixed anchor that had a rapide. Use the rapide as a PCD instead of using a Biner use a pin and then pull the pin like a fiddlestick. Had people rappel on it with a back up and then pulled the pin from below. Pin came right out. I then re rigged normal and I descended.