PDA

View Full Version : Some basic questions...

Topher Jones
11-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Hey, so I have been doing rock climbing for a lil while now and know to do most of the basic stuff with it, the knots, repelling and that sort of thing, but I was hoping to start canyoneering next summer but I don't have a guru to learn from with it all. I have read a lot and am going to be smart about it all, but I could use some help if anybody is willing to help.
My main questions are in regards to natural anchors.
So can you just use webbing and knots around trees and sturdy rocks to repel off? If you leave a carabiner do you get it back? or do you just leave the whole set up? Or generally do you have to ascend back up all the places you go down and then pick them up on the way back..? How does it generally work? I know you don't want to just have rope on rock usually, at least with climbing. Any other tips in regards to it all would be great!
I'll also put the point out there me and my friends are looking to start small, mostly off trail hikes but and repels of around 30 feet or so with no repels into swim zones and stuff like that and definitely work our way up slowly. We just want to have fun, not be hardcore.
Thank you so much for the help!

PG Rob
11-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Topher,

Welcome to Bogley. After reading your post I recommend you watch this forum for a Bogley Fest and attend. You will be better served tagging along with folks that know what they are doing than trying to learn it online. The knowledge and skills you seek are best learned in real life.

Good Luck,

Rob

Deathcricket
11-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Good question! Think of it like a sport rock climbing route where they have the chains and bolts already there. Most of the routes are the same setup, but you occaisionally have to bring along some webbing to replace the existing stuff. Like when it gets old or damaged in a storm. And of course most people have a ring or two for emergencies. But usually there are bolts with chains or webbing with a ring already there and ready to go.

Now if you're doing a route that has not been done before, there is a couple setups for a retrieveable anchor. But you would want someone to show you that setup before you try it, can be a bit dangerous. Search this site for "fiddlestix" for instance and you'll see an example. :2thumbs:

What area you in? We are almost done for the season but I think we might have a trip or two left and you are most welcome to join us in Zion some time.

Iceaxe
11-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Good question! Think of it like a sport rock climbing route where they have the chains and bolts already there.

Sorry Deatcricket, but I think that is terrible advise. When canyoneering always (with a couple of exceptions) figure you are going to have to build/create a rappel anchor and consider it a gift if one happens to already be there.

The only thing you can count on when canyoneering is that the canyons constantly change.

:popcorn:

Iceaxe
11-02-2012, 04:37 PM
So can you just use webbing and knots around trees and sturdy rocks to repel off? If you leave a carabiner do you get it back? or do you just leave the whole set up?

Basically yes... you tie webbing around trees, logs and rocks to rappel from. Sometimes there are bolts but they are highly discouraged outside of Zion NP.

We don't leave carabiners, we leave rapid links as they are much cheaper.

Rapid Links

Iceaxe
11-02-2012, 04:45 PM
You might want to read this as I think you will find some helpful information to get you started, some of the information might be over your head at the moment but at least you will know where to look when you are ready...

Canyoneering Primer

(http://climb-utah.com/Misc/natural.htm)You might also find some helpful information here

Canyoneering Gear

(http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm)and welcome to Bogley. :2thumbs:

Slot Machine
11-02-2012, 07:13 PM
We just want to have fun, not be hardcore.
Thank you so much for the help!

Welcome to Bogley!

Who are you trying to repel? :haha:

You want to just have fun? But not hardcore? Kinda like non-hardcore skydiving? :lol8: I joke, I joke. Kind of.

This book will answer many of your questions:

http://www.amazon.com/Canyoneering-Guide-Techniques-Canyons-Series/dp/0762745193

Bob

Deathcricket
11-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Sorry Deatcricket, but I think that is terrible advise. When canyoneering always (with a couple of exceptions) figure you are going to have to build/create a rappel anchor and consider it a gift if one happens to already be there.

The only thing you can count on when canyoneering is that the canyons constantly change.

:popcorn:

Yeah good point. Just seems weird a new guy would have found a canyon that hadn't been done a million times. but you are right. :hail2thechief:

moab mark
11-04-2012, 07:45 AM
If you can afford it there are several good Companies that offer Canyoneering Courses. In a few short days you can get a pretty good grasp on how to descend a Canyon.

rockgremlin
11-04-2012, 09:29 AM
If you can afford it there are several good Companies that offer Canyoneering Courses. In a few short days you can get a pretty good grasp on how to descend a Canyon.Or just go to one of these canyoneering fests where you can meet kewl dudes/ettes that can hold your hand for free. You carry the ropes of course. :haha:

Topher Jones
11-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks everybody for the welcome and advice!
You guys answered my biggest question and definitely gave me some helpful input and new sources to check out. I'm going to check out one of those festivals if I can and will definitely be doing some more research and working my way up when I go. I know a lot of basic knots and talked to a few people at a store about it. Also I have a good amount of climbing and knowledge and reasoning so I think with a bit more research and trying a few things I should be good! The quick links thing and webbing were a big help so thank you for that! I''ll probably be going in Utah and the Colorado Plateau and if you guys want to let me know when you are going you should message me and I can see what I can do to meet up with you! Thanks again!