PDA

View Full Version : How To GoPro Cable Cam Project

Sombeech
10-29-2012, 09:06 PM
I've been tinkering around with building a GoPro Cable Cam setup. I built one last week really quick with basically 2 pulleys, a piece of PVC pipe, 100' of cord and a camera clamp.

That part was easy, but then after some experimenting I decided to use a longer piece of PVC pipe, about 2' long now, and then I replaced the cheap wheels in the pulleys with some ball bearing wheels.

Here's my first build:

And over the weekend I tested it out a bit, you can see fragments of this video were filmed with my cable cam. Notice it's a bit shaky, this was due to the pulleys being too close together in my opinion and also the cheap wheels on the pulleys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W99iWtx_qaY

So then tonight I put it to the test on the trail. I quickly found out that 100' of rope just doesn't give you much filming time. I also found out how difficult it is to find a spot where you have a straight shot between two trees without snagging any branches along the way, plus having it at enough of a decline where the camera assembly will freely glide down the rope. This is where I need a remote control motor so it can move along a more level slope if needed. This will come later.....

Here's what it looks like tonight with the longer pipe

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/30/utuvupu3.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/30/rudy5ere.jpg

Here's some footage from tonight, and my patience was put to the test. I knew it would be best if I was alone because I didn't want to be holding anybody up while I was trying to figure this thing out. I tried 4 spots but only 2 of them were successful. The other two either didn't have enough slope or would have the rope crossing the trail so that passers by could get clothes lined. Each shooting spot took about half an hour to set up and get just right. :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWnPI4loH8M&feature=youtu.be

I'll be coming back and adding to this thread as I make adjustments and progress with this. Like I said, I'm seriously looking at building a remote control component on it, probably by taking apart a cheap R/C car and just using those parts and putting a third wheel in the middle.

I'm also looking at ditching the PVC pipe frame and making something that folds up, because this did NOT fit in my pack very well. And if I'm going to double my rope, I'm going to be carrying a lot of gear for this setup. I've got to come up with something collapsible.

And finally, the GoPro LCD BacPac has been very helpful in setting up the shots:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21xs33yDwJL._AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090A6WV2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0090A6WV2&linkCode=as2&tag=bogloutdcomm-20)

I would appreciate any feedback or ideas you may have. :cool2:

Sombeech
10-29-2012, 09:20 PM
One more thing, on future shoots I want to find spots where I can QUICKLY set up with minimal interference from other riders and hikers. First of all I don't want to have my cable just laying across the trail while I'm setting up, nor do I want to clothesline somebody when I'm adjusting the angle, and finally I hate answering the question "WTF is that?!?".

So I'll be trying to scout locations, keep them in mind for future shoots so I can set up, film, and get outta there.

Kent K25
10-30-2012, 07:03 AM
That's awesome Justin! Lots of potential there and you're just the one to do it.

Deathcricket
10-30-2012, 08:23 AM
Really like the shot between 16-18 seconds in. The side view where you can't see the rope, or the camera's shadow on the ground.

This is an ambitious project man, best of luck to you and curious to see the results. I've also been working on a project with an overhead backback cam that moves 180 degreees while rapping since I saw that HI dude's rig on that 500 footer, I should start a thread. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
10-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Really like the shot between 16-18 seconds in. The side view where you can't see the rope, or the camera's shadow on the ground.

Yeah I processed the footage and realized that's another thing to avoid, the rope in the frame and the shadow. It distracts from the ride and turns attention to the device.

I had a longer stretch of rope originally strung up for that shot through the leaves, but then realized when the camera rolled along, it dropped the rope and I had to duck really low just to get under it. I kept snagging the rope in the process and the whole camera would shake. So as cool as that spot was, unfortunately I had to shorten the rope to half the original stretch. Maybe I'll post that up later.

JONBOYLEMON
10-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Fantastic!!!!!!!!!

Another thought on having the camera chase you would be to have it behind you and a piece of fishing line tween you and the rig with a bungee or something else to keep the action from being jerky. I dont think you would see fishing line in an action shot even in HD. Or maybe a flywheel with friction. That way you could do it all yourself and the camera would follow you at any pace.

Sombeech
10-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Fantastic!!!!!!!!!

Another thought on having the camera chase you would be to have it behind you and a piece of fishing line tween you and the rig with a bungee or something else to keep the action from being jerky.

Interesting idea. I was thinking of some way to pull a latch and release a lock on the wheels so it could start rolling, because currently I need to gently let it go then hurry and start pedalling my bike. With such a short run, that wastes valuable seconds on the startup. I like the fishing line idea but I'm afraid it would take even more time to set up.

The nice thing about the remote control is I could just set it at a variable speed on any slope that I wanted, which would really open up the shooting location possibilities (supposedly). The downside I see is I may not be able to do this solo because I would have to carry the remote control with me as I'm riding, and at the end of the line I'd have to shut it off so the motor didn't burn out once it butts up against the end.

So I see my two choices are:

Solo riding with limited shooting locations, slope necessary on the rope.
Riding with others, more shooting locations, but I stand on the sideline only to film outside of the frame.

Maybe I'll build a design where the powered pulley can easily lock off track for freewheel rolling when needed. And come to think of it, maybe I can put in a stop lever so when it jerks at the end of the line it just shuts the motor off? That's way out of my league and I have no idea how to build something like that, but it's got to be possible.

RedSpecialized
10-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Man, just when I thought you already had every gadget there was for the gopro.....this filming is starting to look the NFL. :popcorn:

Sombeech
10-30-2012, 07:29 PM
I've been thinking Mueller Park would have some excellent locations for this device. Tall trees, shaded, lots of straight shots. Hopefully I can get down there one more time before the snow sticks.

live2ride
10-31-2012, 01:49 PM
I think at the start of sardine, there are a couple of switch backs that you could ride either up or down and then you would be able to get some through the tree shots. the trail isnt to crazy and I am aware of the snow but I would think this project will get a little snowy regardless and there are plenty of tall trees to tie off to.

Sombeech
10-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Yeah I'm thinking sardine and also just up from Maples there are some good straight shots with tall trees. I'm wondering how much snow is up there.

live2ride
10-31-2012, 02:10 PM
I havent been up there since the snow but basin was in the 3o inch range and I saw pics of the lower parking lot and it looked crazy! probably a muddy mess!

Sombeech
11-01-2012, 07:49 AM
If I can, I'm going to try and hit Mueller tonight. Just a warning for anybody who wants to tag along, you probably shouldn't. :mrgreen: It will be a lot of experimentation, delays, decision making, and very little actual riding. Plus I don't even know what the trail condition is like, I'll probably be hanging out on the lower portion of the trail, within the first mile.

...if the wife lets me get out. :haha:

live2ride
11-01-2012, 10:53 AM
been keeping an eye on it and I bet it is pretty dry, they had a little snow earlier in the week way up hig but it looks like the flats are free of snow

Sombeech
11-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Another shot at the cable cam today. I should have looked closer to make sure the PVC pipe was out of the frame on one of these shots. Oh well, better next time....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKMrVEbaCNk

accadacca
11-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Very cool! Lotta potential here when you get it dialed in. You have already had some success. Prolly the best time to film would be in the middle of a weekday. Everyone else would be at work. You could setup without many on the trail. Maybe film yourself and one or two others.

Rob L
11-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Very good, Sombeech. It appears you have a nice editing program...would you tell me what it is (I use the freebie version of VideoPad and VideoMach).

(I inadvertently keep clicking on live to ride's pink cycling picture, thinking it's a video, instead of your videos. Could you please either restrict his picture size in his signature line or the rather pink nature of his Movember brush? Or ask him to shave? :haha:

__________________________________________________ _________
What on Earth is the purpose of a signature line?

Sombeech
11-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Very good, Sombeech. It appears you have a nice editing program...would you tell me what it is (I use the freebie version of VideoPad and VideoMach).

Windows Live Movie Maker, I've used it on every GoPro video for the past 2 years :afro: