PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Egypt 1

Slot Machine
10-29-2012, 05:59 PM
On October 27th, 2012, Steph, Tony (@Absolute Gravity (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=22101) ), Lindsey and I headed through Egypt 1. It was Lindsey's first technical canyoneering adventure.

It is surprising that Egypt 1 doesn't get more publicity. It is more fun than E2, and almost as good as E3. Heck, it is WAY better than E2 if you don't include E2's giant headwall rappel. The slotty section of E1 was much longer and far prettier than we anticipated.

Once in a while you get the right combination of people, weather and adventure. It becomes the recipe for canyoneering euphoria. This was to be the case during our leisurely hike through E1. No racing the clock, no concerns about the obstacles ahead; it was simply a pleasant stroll through an amazing place.

Bob

One of the interesting sandstone features that abound in the Egypts. I call this one "The Pig".

http://amazingslots.blogspot.com/2012/10/on-october-27th-2012-steph-tony-lindsey.html

ratagonia
10-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Cool.

What's the beta?

And coordinates for the start would be helpful, as no canyon called E1 is marked on the USGS map. I think I know which one you mean, but I am not 100% sure.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Tom

yetigonecrazy
10-30-2012, 05:53 AM
..........really?

Thanks for the TR Bob! Looks like Im gonna have to put it on the list!

Mountaineer
10-30-2012, 07:48 AM
Great read. Especially liked your comment on leisurely enjoying the canyon, and not just blasting through it.

Adventure, challenges, scenery, ... Nice.

french_de
10-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the TR. :nod: Nice pictures. When we first did E1 a couple of years ago we had a little trouble finding an easy exit up those lower ledges at the base of the canyon. We had to use a bit of scrambling and partner assist to get up them.

Slot Machine
10-30-2012, 10:40 AM
What's the beta?

Tom

Okydok... I find it very strange that you haven't done E1. :ne_nau: If I ever run into you out there, I'll be happy to show you the way. :lol8:

The beta I used comes from Kelsey's Slot Canyon Guide to the Colorado Plateau (http://kelseyguidebooks.com/?page_id=62).

His beta was OK, but I would change a few things:

Enter the canyon here: 37' 34 '20 " N 111° 15' 27" W

The first drop is an optional rappel, downclimb possible RDC. There are three rappels further down canyon. I suppose they all might be downclimbed by the highly skilled or by those that desire a broken ankle. For most people, all three drops are mandatory rappels. One 40 foot rope is all you will need.

The ability to assess and build deadman anchors is required to complete this adventure; bring 50 feet of webbing for this purpose and be sure to extend your anchors to prevent rope grooves. The first rappel is from a sling draped around a bolder. It is about 15 feet. The second rappel is from a deadman down a gentle slope. It is about 15 feet. The third rappel is also from a deadman down a steeper slope. It is about 20 feet.Near the end of the canyon is an awesome slide, it is about 20-25 feet.

Exit the canyon RDC here: 37° 33' 26" N 111° 15' 49" W

Hike west around the mesa. Looking at the southernmost end of the mesa you will see some stacked blocks. This is bottom the Kelsey Exit. It is very steep and looked like certain suicide to our group, so we continued hiking to the west side of the mesa.

We discovered a very easy exit here: 37° 33' 31" N 111° 16' 09" W

Once you arrive at the top of the mesa, hike due east from the "easy exit" (don't be tempted to hike north yet) until you get to the Kelsey Exit trail or until you arrive at the rim for Egypt 1. Hike north until you arrive back at your vehicle. This loop should take most groups 3.5-4.5 hours to complete.

Slot Machine
10-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the TR. :nod: Nice pictures. When we first did E1 a couple of years ago we had a little trouble finding an easy exit up those lower ledges at the base of the canyon. We had to use a bit of scrambling and partner assist to get up them.

Ya, while Tony and I were busy trying to get ourselves killed on said ledges, Steph and Lindsey found a super easy way to get out. It's like climbing a flight of stairs with one interesting (semi-exposed, easily belayed 5.6) move at the top. Lindsey has never been climbing or canyoneering and she did it without assistance.

PG Rob
10-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Cool.

What's the beta?

And coordinates for the start would be helpful, as no canyon called E1 is marked on the USGS map. I think I know which one you mean, but I am not 100% sure.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Tom

:ne_nau::ne_nau:Sarcasm????

Slot Machine
10-30-2012, 01:41 PM

My acknowledgement of possible/probable sarcasm:

Okydok... I find it very strange that you haven't done E1. :ne_nau: If I ever run into you out there, I'll be happy to show you the way. :lol8:

The existing beta for this canyon kind of sucks. Even without Tom's snarky cue, I intended to share my version anyway. :cool2: :haha: It is a great canyon, especially for beginners.

ratagonia
10-30-2012, 02:19 PM

No sarcasm.

I don't use the Proud Anti-Semite's books; I've been meaning to do that and those canyons for awhile. Now I have the beta.

Thank you.

Tom

RaceBannon
10-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the great trip report. I went through there one day prior and had a blast as it was my first technical canyon. I was afraid to post anything as I thought the experienced and skilled would poke fun at the "newbie". Oh yeah...you are a much better photographer than me!:cool2:

ratagonia
10-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the great trip report. I went through there one day prior and had a blast as it was my first technical canyon. I was afraid to post anything as I thought the experienced and skilled would poke fun at the "newbie". Oh yeah...you are a much better photographer than me!:cool2:

Welcome to the Bog, Race Bannon.

We try to be friendly, but don't always succeed.

Tom

Slot Machine
10-30-2012, 06:33 PM

Hey! We were the group that drove by and waved as you were setting up around noon.

People "poking fun" at you is an opportunity to learn. Sometimes it stings a little, but that is better than not knowing that you are making an error.

Also, thanks for the compliment! :gents:

No sarcasm.

Thank you.

Tom

You're welcome. Since you are a better climber than me, you might prefer the Kelsey Exit. It is located about here: 37

ratagonia
10-30-2012, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=Slot Machine;516080]
You're welcome. Since you are a better climber than me, you might prefer the Kelsey Exit. It is located about here: 37

summitseeker
11-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Nice to see a new picture on the home page. The Sawtooth Mountain shot was getting OLD.

TJ Sheridan
11-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Wow. That 5th picture in your series is one worth printing up big and framing. Stunning shot! Trip reports like that make me really wish I knew how to rappel and do the more technical hikes.

Slot Machine
11-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Wow. That 5th picture in your series is one worth printing up big and framing. Stunning shot! Trip reports like that make me really wish I knew how to rappel and do the more technical hikes.

TJ,

That canyon is even more stunning in person, and my camera is not that great.

Learning how to slide down a rope isn't particularly difficult, but once you do it, it might change your life in a big way. You have been warned! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the kind words!

Bob

Slot Machine
04-14-2015, 08:16 AM
@accadacca (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=3)
@Sombeech (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=6)

This TR is pretty mangled. I published a bunch of GPS coordinates on this thread that are now gone! Useful information for others and a lot of work to write-up.

Other TR's are mangled as well.

BOOOOOOOOOOO!

Is this going to get fixed?

Sombeech
04-14-2015, 08:19 AM
@accadacca (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=3)
@Sombeech (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=6)

This TR is pretty mangled. I published a bunch of GPS coordinates on this thread that are now gone! That was a LOT of work.

Other TR's are mangled as well.

BOOOOOOOOOOO!

Is this going to get fixed?

I'll get this back for you. Sorry, there are some reports with missing data. We've got the backups, we're working on a process to get them back.

Slot Machine
04-14-2015, 08:20 AM
Thank you! :gents:

Sombeech
04-14-2015, 08:36 AM
OK, it's fixed. By the way, it wasn't the first post, it was your reply here http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?66272-Egypt-1&p=516003&viewfull=1#post516003

Forward any posts with missing data to me and I can fix them manually, and we are working on the mass fix in the meantime.

Thanks, and sorry for the temporary inconvenience.

Slot Machine
04-14-2015, 11:36 AM
OK, it's fixed. By the way, it wasn't the first post, it was your reply here http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?66272-Egypt-1&p=516003&viewfull=1#post516003

Forward any posts with missing data to me and I can fix them manually, and we are working on the mass fix in the meantime.

Thanks, and sorry for the temporary inconvenience.
Sombeech is runnin Bogley...

LIKE A BOSS. Thanks man! :2thumbs: