PDA

View Full Version : Help Anybody know about Remote Control (car) components?

Sombeech
10-26-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm working on a little project right now, building a Cable Cam for the GoPro. I'm looking to add a remote control component to it but I know nothing about this area.

Right now it's just gravity driven, pretty cheap build. The speed of the camera is governed by the angle of the rope. I'd like to add a third wheel in there for forward and reverse. It doesn't necessarily need to be fast, maybe 10 MPH, but it would be nice to bring the camera back up to the top via remote control.

I'm thinking of tearing apart an R/C car and just using those components but I'm not sure about the weight, if I'll be burning out the motor?

This is NOT my video, just an example of the footage I could get. This looks like it's from a cheap gravity accelerated model like mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XyPKcAFkjw&safety_mode=true&persist_safet y_mode=1&safe=active

This guy has the right idea, just not sure on WTH these parts are called and how much $$$ and load they can carry, would they be from your average WalMart RC car....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TWuJmusRHo&list=UUbbpT0ZqzB5JNXVvo2hbyZQ&index=3&feature=plcp&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1&safe=active

Sombeech
10-26-2012, 09:13 AM
I'll probably ditch the big heavy clamp here if it gives the cheap rc motor a big load, but this clamp has been great giving me any angle I've ever wanted.

I'm looking to put a wheel in the middle that will put a little resistance on the rope, not bending it much to get that traction. So I'm thinking the hand held device, receiver, motor, wheel, battery pack... Sounds easy but is it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JONBOYLEMON
10-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Yo Beech, I know a bit about RC stuff.

I probably have everything you need so long as you are a little mechanically inclined.

You are basically doing a much simpler version of FPV where you have removed the need for an rc aircraft to fly and not crash w/ all your expensive stuff onboard. I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about this exact type of shot!

JONBOYLEMON
10-27-2012, 08:32 AM
PS, a cheapo RC car from Walmart would probably work, but I would suspect the motor would be VERY weak. The method of putting a tire on a motor directly would be the best option I think. That may also be hard on a cheapo car setup.

JONBOYLEMON
10-27-2012, 09:13 AM
PS, I wonder if Paracord would support the camera carriage?

Sombeech
10-27-2012, 09:20 AM
PS, I wonder if Paracord would support the camera carriage?

It probably would, i could make it weigh maybe three pounds.

The challenge with longer lengths will be finding straight shots that the camera can glide along the trail without running into trees.

Thanks for your advice, in going to tear apart an RC car first and try that

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2