PDA

View Full Version : WFR course is awesome!

Taylor
10-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Today is day 6 of the WFR course I am taking from WMI of NOLS. We have 3 more days, then a test to become certified first responders. So far, the curriculum has exceeded expectations. Wish I had done this years ago. Anyone else certified? Used your first responder skills/knowledge in a canyon or elsewhere?

ratagonia
10-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Today is day 6 of the WFR course I am taking from WMI of NOLS. We have 3 more days, then a test to become certified first responders. So far, the curriculum has exceeded expectations. Wish I had done this years ago. Anyone else certified? Used your first responder skills/knowledge in a canyon or elsewhere?

WFR is awesome, you bet. I've used the knowledge on a handful of occasions, both for myself and others. And I found out what happens in X Canyons - ASR!

ZAC has a WFR running in November with WMA:

http://www.zionadventures.com/zion-park-tours/wilderness-first-responder/

Tom

Eric Holden
10-10-2012, 09:37 AM
I am taking a WAFA course starting this Saturday.... unless it gets cancelled! Also put on by the WMA

Mountaineer
10-10-2012, 10:17 AM
So far, the curriculum has exceeded expectations.
Completely agree. Very useful, as you practice the skills multiple times during the day and night which may one day really prove valuable.
See you Thursday... ;-)

mtncrawler
10-10-2012, 11:23 AM

Agreed. Took the same course from WMI/NOLS in 2004 and used some skills/knowledge to help out in two climbing/hiking incidents. Dont' forget to keep your eye out on the certification period and take re-fresher/re-cert courses. I sadly let mine expire in 2007/8. Not sure if the certification rules for WFR are still the same - 3 years?

Slot Machine
10-11-2012, 12:58 AM
And I found out what happens in X Canyons - ASR!

Tom

So much alphabet soup on this thread... struggling to keep up... what is ASR?

ratagonia
10-11-2012, 08:36 AM
ASR = Acute Stress Response.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_stress_reaction

The wiki article is kinda weak; or at least not aligned with what we learned in WFR.

ASR is what I get in X canyons. Now that I know about ASR, I can recognize what my mind/body is doing, and manage it.

On a river trip, one woman took a swim and got really cold. Once we got her out and warmed up, she was still freaked out. ASR is a physiological response to being freaked out. Several hours later, she was still freaked out, but now she was freaked out because of the physiological response she was experiencing (heightened pulse, rapid breathing, nausea). With an explanation that this was a normal physiological response to the event, she was able then to manage her response and become un-freaked out.

Tom

Slot Machine
10-11-2012, 01:12 PM
ASR = Acute Stress Response.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_stress_reaction

The wiki article is kinda weak; or at least not aligned with what we learned in WFR.

ASR is what I get in X canyons. Now that I know about ASR, I can recognize what my mind/body is doing, and manage it.

On a river trip, one woman took a swim and got really cold. Once we got her out and warmed up, she was still freaked out. ASR is a physiological response to being freaked out. Several hours later, she was still freaked out, but now she was freaked out because of the physiological response she was experiencing (heightened pulse, rapid breathing, nausea). With an explanation that this was a normal physiological response to the event, she was able then to manage her response and become un-freaked out.

Tom

Ah, kinda like what happened to me in Shenanigans a couple of weeks ago. It happens to my wife as well in tight canyons.

Makes sense, thanks Tom!