PDA

View Full Version : GPS App

Iceaxe
10-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Anyone have a recommendation for a good GPS app for an Android smartphone? The ideal app for me would be one that turned my phone into a simple GPS, maybe something like the base Garmin eTrex. I don't give a crap about maps and satalite views and walkthroughts.

I want something I can easily type an HR.MM.SS waypoint into and hike to the waypoint with a arrow pointing the direction. Also having the ability to ping a waypoint and have it read back to me in Hr.mm.ss. would be awesome.

Thanks.

nelsonccc
10-05-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm sure there are android versions of Motion-X GPS. I use it almost exclusively on my Iphone. It's like having a garmin 60CS in your pocket. You can pre-download the maps for where you are going so you can look at them when off the grid. It uploads GPX files from Mapsource or NG Topo perfectly. I typically will trace my route in Google earth, bring the KML into Garmin and save as a GPX. Then I email the GPX to my phone and open it in Motion X. It'll levae crumb and follow a track previously laid out or show your proximity to a pre-loaded waypoint.

WWW.motionx.com. That's my suggestion and trust me I've spent a lot of time dicking around with the various GPS apps to find one that works easily and is simple.

accadacca
10-05-2012, 12:39 PM
I use Motion X too. :popcorn:

DOSS
10-05-2012, 12:55 PM
I like backcountry navigator... it is the only app I have ever purchased.. try the free version and see if you like it :)

Iceaxe
10-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Motion X isn't available for android.

Sent using Tapatalk

accadacca
10-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Motion X isn't available for android.

Sent using Tapatalk
Bummer. I figured it would be. I bet they are working on it.

http://news.motionx.com/category/motionx-gps/

Iceaxe
10-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Back country navigator doesn't do what I want. I want to be able to type in a waypoint on my phone and have an arrow point the way. That is all i need. I spent 15 minutes trying to do this simply and couldnt. I don't want to have to import from somewhere else. Maybe BC nav can do this but its not simple.

Sent using Tapatalk

DOSS
10-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Back country navigator doesn't do what I want. I want to be able to type in a waypoint on my phone and have an arrow point the way. That is all i need. I spent 15 minutes trying to do this simply and couldnt. I don't want to have to import from somewhere else. Maybe BC nav can do this but its not simple.

Sent using Tapatalk

Point.. It took a while for me to figure everything out in BC nav.. it will do it on the navigation screen but it is far from intuitive.. once you figure it out you are good to go.. but it has a learning curve...

Iceaxe
10-05-2012, 04:08 PM
it will do it on the navigation screen

The Nav screen has the pointer I was looking for. But I still don't see a simple way of inserting one waypoint and then navigating to it.

DOSS
10-05-2012, 07:09 PM
The Nav screen has the pointer I was looking for. But I still don't see a simple way of inserting one waypoint and then navigating to it.

This is from memory - may have flaws (My phone is with my wife right now so I can't verify).
its kinda a 4 step process.. 1. create waypoint on map screen, 2. insert your coords, Save, 3. in waypoint use the go to option, 4. go to nav screen... follow arrow..

Bluff-Canyoneer
10-05-2012, 09:29 PM
I use GAIA Gps on my iPhone/iPad and can easily do want you want. I know they have an Android version also. Definitely worth a look.

You can drop a pin at the current location, or anywhere you want by scrolling around, or by typing in coordinates, then "save and guide" to the pin.

You can download unlimited free USGS quads as well as numerous other map types.

BruteForce
10-06-2012, 07:48 AM
I like backcountry navigator... it is the only app I have ever purchased.. try the free version and see if you like it :)

X2. I've been using this since my Windows Mobile days..

Iceaxe
10-06-2012, 08:41 AM
This is from memory - may have flaws (My phone is with my wife right now so I can't verify).
its kinda a 4 step process.. 1. create waypoint on map screen, 2. insert your coords, Save, 3. in waypoint use the go to option, 4. go to nav screen... follow arrow..

Thanks for your help. I think I've figured out BC nav enough to make it do what I want. I'll test it out a little more today.

Sent using Tapatalk