PDA

View Full Version : Ikea airbrushes women out of Saudi catalog

Sombeech
10-01-2012, 01:25 PM
IKEA is being criticized for deleting images of women from the Saudi version of its furniture catalog, a move the company says it regrets.
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]Comparing the Swedish and Saudi versions of the IKEA catalog, [URL="http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dswedish%2BMetro%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dof f%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D8p3%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26prmd%3Dimvnsu&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=sv&twu=1&u=http://www.metro.se/nyheter/har-ar-ikeas-bilder-med-och-utan-kvinnor/EVHlja!1amu49sQteSs/&usg=ALkJrhhYVv-XZ8VR3RYVOXt39HzXSeBUuQ"]Sweden

Iceaxe
10-01-2012, 09:14 PM
The good ol' head in the sand approach to human rights. :2thumbs:

JONBOYLEMON
10-02-2012, 07:32 AM
I am thinking the women who have been mutilated under the name of sharia law would have loved to have an "airbrush option" vs the mutilation they recieved at the hands of their men.

DiscGo
10-02-2012, 12:43 PM
I don't see a problem with what IKEA has done here. This is the free market at work. If you aren't going to sell magazines in Saudi Arabia by having women in them, then don't have women. If you sell more in the U.S. for having women, then put women in the magazine.

I think it would be sad if the Saudi Government forced them to do this, but they didn't. IKEA hired a 3rd party firm to consult them on how to sell more product in a specific region and this is how they did it.

As a Christian I wouldn't be offended if IKEA (or any other vendor) airbrushed a picture of Christ (or whatever) out of an ad for one region and left it in for mine or another. The whole point of a company like IKEA is to sell product, and they should try and offer a internationally recognized brand on a local level if they want to sell as much as possible.

double moo
10-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Jesus is an Ikea model? Cool... was unaware of that.

Just for the record... They've been airbrushing the Holy Ghost out of Deseret Book offerings for decades.

Iceaxe
10-02-2012, 09:44 PM
IKEA hired a 3rd party firm to consult them on how to sell more product

If they want to sell more product to me the women models would all be in bikini's..... haha.... I'll keep my eye on the mailbox for my catalog.

Sent using Tapatalk