PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Psycho D on a rainy day 09-12-12

PG Rob
09-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Went down to Psycho D on 09-12-12 with 1 frequent canyoneering buddy and 2 newer canyoneers (1 and 3 canyons under their belts respectively). It was raining, so we had to wait it out at the head of the canyon for a while. My friend shot this video from the trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRAUL_OX20Y

ghawk
09-18-2012, 04:24 PM
:2thumbs: nice. That was a pretty good fall at the end there too!

ratagonia
09-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Sorry to miss the exciting conclusion...

Fun! :2thumbs:

Tom

Slot Machine
09-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Nice work Rob!! Looks like fun, wish I could have been there.

Loved the shot at the end! :roflmao1:

PG Rob
09-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Sorry to miss the exciting conclusion...

We decided to go over the last silo

Here is an homage to those that went before

ratagonia
09-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Ah, sweet. Such memories...

canyondevil
09-18-2012, 09:18 PM
We decided to go over the last silo

Here is an homage to those that went before

As opposed going down in there? I think you chose wisely!

PG Rob
09-18-2012, 09:36 PM
As opposed going down in there? I think you chose wisely!

The conventional thinking is to shimmy halfway down and cross the silo at the spot where you see it narrow up. Going over it was nearly shoulder blades and feet for me.

Eric Holden
09-19-2012, 08:25 AM
At least there was no stemming involved and you got to roll over some nice pokey plant life on your way down.
Great video!

Deathcricket
09-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Damn dude that is a lot of stemming. Great video! That 2nd song you used was Beck? Hadn't heard that song, he must have some new stuff out that I'm not aware of. Another reason I'm glad I watched your video :2thumbs:

MSchasch
09-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Haha wow, what a fall! And it looks like it was on the approach. If it were me, and I'd fallen that hard just walking toward Psycho D, I may very well have turned around thinking, Not today!

Nice video. I think going mid height on the last silo is not too bad, just very tight, and if you are facing the wrong way, very awkward.

See any beaver activity below the confluence of Psycho and Pothoez?

2065toyota
09-19-2012, 10:36 AM
:cool2:

PG Rob
09-19-2012, 12:46 PM
See any beaver activity below the confluence of Psycho and Pothoez?

There were definitely signs of beaver, but we could not tell how recent. We saw some gnawed off branches up canyon, and it looked like there was a small beaver lodge in the pond.

penmartens
09-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Rob,
I ws feeling frather let down sith the video. I was hoping to see what I had missed in that last section. Thanks for including the photo. That looks doable. Do you think that was the widest silo in the last section?
MIke! The beaver in Smith are there to stay. They are also in Halls Creek.

PG Rob
09-19-2012, 04:42 PM
I was hoping to see what I had missed in that last section. Thanks for including the photo. That looks doable. Do you think that was the widest silo in the last section?

It was the widest silo, and the only memorable challenge of the canyon. It is wider than it looks in pictures. When I started across, it was back and feet. I had my camera bag hanging around my neck and under my arm, and as I moved along and the silo got wider, the camera started moving behind me. At first it was annoying me, because it was rubbing and pulling against my neck, but when the silo was at it's widest, the camera bag was exactly between my shoulder blades, giving me extra reach and making the crossing easier. The lower crossing looked fairly straight forward, but required squeezing down a narrow elevator that looked tight. Either way, the silo wasn't that big of a deal.

I have more pictures of the lower section, let me know and I will send a few.

Rob