PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report A week of Fishing

nelsonccc
09-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Finally got away this summer (been absolutely slammed at work) to do some fishing. My little brother and I set up base camp just north of Panguitch reservoir in a sweet spot off the road that the Bunker Creek mtn bike trail comes down on (see my mtn bike thread). My brother has a little boat so we could tackle some stream and reservoir fishing this time.

When I first got there we headed down to the meadow and fished the streams. I was fly fishing with my Sage7'6" 3wt and my brother was using my little backpacking spinning rig. Unfortunately he way outfished me and pulled a pretty large fish out of that creek. We caught quite a few and released them all.

The next day we headed up to Otter Creek. But before we could go his little trailer tire was flat and the bead had separated. We used a banana as a impromptu Murphy's! worked perfectly when combined with a CO2 canister which set the bead. Then we used my little cigarette lighter pump to fill it the rest of the way. Otter creek was awesome. We must have caught 20-30 fish. Non stop action. It took us a bit to figure out what was working but once we figured it out, it was ON!

Next day we did some mtn biking and relaxing (it rained major). When we went up to the top of Bunker it was hailing.

Then we hit Panguitch late in the afternoon. A little dead at my brothers 'secret spot' but once we moved to deeper water we caught some fishies. With the combination of camping, mtn biking, and fishing we had a blast. The one day we had to spend in the tent due to major thunderstorms was even fun. I had a little DVD player and we watched a bunch of movies. Pretty fun.

Enjoy the pics.

BruteForce
09-12-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm heading to OtterCreek and Fish Lake next week. I don't have a boat, so will be bank fishing. Were you trolling or using bait? Thought I saw a bag of marsh mellows.

Bait tips? Been a few years for me since I was last at OtterCreek, but I recall lures, salmon eggs w/marsh mellow did quite well.

accadacca
09-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Looks like you guys had a great trip. Awesome man. :2thumbs:

nelsonccc
09-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm heading to OtterCreek and Fish Lake next week. I don't have a boat, so will be bank fishing. Were you trolling or using bait? Thought I saw a bag of marsh mellows.

Bait tips? Been a few years for me since I was last at OtterCreek, but I recall lures, salmon eggs w/marsh mellow did quite well.

The marshmallows were for us. We tried trolling for a bit but nothing. Then we went to the east side about 50 yards of the bank where it gets deep and started fishing with just power bait dipped in this nuclear glow garlic stuff. MONEY. Set with weight so the bait floated off the bottom by about 3-4'. Seemed to be the trick! The orange powerbait without the garlic was still marginally successful but no where near as good as the garlic stuff.

In the evening there was quite a bit of rising fish and I was able to catch a few with a #16 mosquito dry fly with about a 20' cast from the boat towards the shore. The only fish we caught with a lure was on the beeline back to the dock with my brother dragging a lure at like 5mph.

LOAH
09-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Nice rainbows!

Great fix for the trailer tire.:lol8: