PDA

View Full Version : Partners for Tank Canyon & Deer Range(off Skutumpah Road)Sept 25.Anyone know them

kaniukr
09-10-2012, 04:14 AM
Myself and a friend plan to hike into Tank Canyon and some of Deer Range Canyon (at least the best 3km each way according to Michael Kelsey's book which is below their confluence. (He has a great picture of the convoluted walls at the head of Tank and says of them "These 2 canyons with red and yellow streaked white Navajo sandstone walls, plus blue skies & green pondersosa pines offer some of the best photo ops around. For scenery they make a unique scene and colours are simlar to Coyote Buttes").

It's Deer Range, as oppposed to Deer Creek, and I believe latitude is 37-23' 19" N, Longitude 112-07' 48". Their entrance points are 2-3 miles off Skutumpah Road.

But are they canyoneering or hiking?
Kelsey indicates entering both is straightforward hiking, but someone else told me entering Deer Range is very difficult at its head. In which case, and the top he says isn't the best part of Deer Range anyway, we thought we'd just enter it further down via Tank and see the best of both in a hike of about 6 miles + plus we'd have to do the 3 miles each way to and from Skutumpah Road if our rental firm doesn't give us a 4WD.

Would anyone like to join us Sept 25, and can anyone enlighten us more on this area?
If you reply, please private msg as well as I've got a lot of packing and planning to do so will only look at the site infrequently.

Thanks in advance.