PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report TR~Pyramid Peak

Scott P
09-05-2012, 06:54 PM
June 29 2012Pyramid Peak is considered to be one of the most difficult 14ers in Colorado and it is located in a beautiful area. My 10 year old son and I decided to make the climb together for some father-son time. Shaylee, my daughter and my wife would come along as well, but they would stay down at Crater Lake while Kessler and I made the climb.

The plan was to get a late afternoon start to hike up to Crater Lake, but Kim got stuck at work late and we didn

BasinCruiser
09-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Great TR! :2thumbs: Sounds and looks like a lot of fun. The trips you are posting of those 14ers with your young son..I'm pretty impressed in him. Great to see him out doing challenging and fun activities like. GOOD ON HIM. I'm amazed jealous of the young kids we've seen while doing other 14ers. Really wish I was doing things like that at that age. Instead, now I've got to get them in at this age.:moses:

Reminds me of the scene we came across after climbing Devils Castle. A couple 100 yards from the parking lot, there was this 10 ft'ish boulder on the side of the trail. There was a little boy climbing up it, couldn't have been more than 5, with a young man (I can only assume was his father) holding him, telling him where to get each hand and foothold, while a woman (can only assume was his mother) was standing on top of the bolder, reaching down, with her hand extended to him. I commented to my wife that it's nice to see parents, for a change, out with their kids, challenging them like that. Seems most of the time, these days, parents lock their kids up in a padded cell, so they don't get hurt, until their 30 years old. Then they let them out into the dangerous world, but only after wrapping them up in 3 in. of bubble wrap, first.

BasinCruiser
09-05-2012, 07:47 PM
http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/811869.jpg

Sometimes, those mountain goats can seem a little overwhelming and intimidating, especially in that type of setting, on those steep, narrow rocky cliffs. When I was up to Olympus NP, at Hurricane Ridge, there was one just like that about 50 ft away from me. I took my camera out, taking pictures of hime, while he was just strolling along, acting like he didn't even notice me. Then, he started walking down the ridge toward me, so, I started backing away, slowly. Before I knew it, he was only 10 ft from me, and it seemed like he was picking up his gate a lot more, walking even faster at me. I wasn't sure if he just curious and coming to investigate, or if he was trying to rush me out. I luckily backed away quick enough, that he went right on by. Scare the daylights out of me. I thought he was going to ram me with those horns.

My wife was 100 ft away, just laughing at me, cause I was so scarred. After the incident, I thought I was perhaps overreacting, and that he wasn't likely much of a threat to me.

Then, I read an article about a year later, that told of a guy that was trampled to death by one of those suckers up there in Oly NP. :eek3: Made me rethink my philosophy on what kind of danger they possibly can be.

stefan
09-07-2012, 10:01 AM
awesome :2thumbs:

denaliguide
09-07-2012, 11:42 AM
very nice!! :2thumbs: