PDA

View Full Version : How To Thunder Mountain N + S Peaks via Coalpit Gulch (up) and Hogum Fork (down)

BasinCruiser
09-04-2012, 07:21 PM
My wife and I would like to ascend Thunder Mountain North and South Peaks, and are looking for a way to accomplish this (besides ascending/descending Bells Canyon). We are looking at doing it this weekend.

One potential route that we are looking at is to climb up Coalpit Gulch. Different route descriptions and pictures of this canyon look intrigueing, challenging, and very interesting. However, some descriptions of this canyon sound a bit overbearing, and possibly beyond our limits. Not knowing how difficult it is to actually climb this canyon, it is difficult how to gauge the descriptions and warnings found related.

From the 'Hiking the Wasatch' (John Veranth) book, it describes Coalpit Gulch as 'inaccessible to anyone but expert hikers and climbers.'...and that it 'is a dangerous place, with rockfall from the cliffs and much loose rock underfoot.....The party should contain either someone who has done the route before or a few experienced rock climbers who are confident at routefinding.'

However, this description on summitpost (http://www.summitpost.org/coalpit-gulch/163144) doesn't have the same daunting, scary forwarning.

Having done many of the peaks along that involve scrambling, some with class 4 climbs, and route finding along the Wasatch front (Lone Peak, Dromedary, Devil's Castle, Twin Peaks, (+what we call false Twin Peaks, peak just East of Twin Peaks) Pfeiferhorn, Monte Cristo, Superior, Mt Nebo) the Uintas (Hayden Peak), and a few Co 14ers (Longs Peak, Sneffels, Wetterhorn), I believe we have pretty good solid class 4 climbing and route finding skills. I'm just not sure if Coalpits is pushing our limit skill wise without knowing the route(s), or having someone along who does. :ne_nau:

Having done Devil's Castle and Dromedary the last couple of weeks is a good reminder of how much easier it is to route find and climb UP a peak, route, or object than it is to try and descend that same structure.:scared: I would hate to climb up past the 1st 2 waterfalls, then get to the 3rd, or some other structure, and not be able to find a good route to climb over the crux, and be stuck in between, unable to continue up, or unable to return back down the difficult climbs we had already done.

Also, if/when we do ascend Coalpits and reach N+S Thunder, I don't think I want to climb back down it. Because it will be just my wife and I, we don't want to bring 2 cars all the way down from Kaysville. So, descending down Bells Canyon and needing a shuttle car (or walk back up to the power station doesn't sound like what we want to do. Is dropping down into Hogum a good option? Is there a relatively close drop into Hogum from Thunder Mountain (w/o having to go most of the way back to Pfeifer)? Is there a good trail going to Hogum?

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Scott P
09-05-2012, 05:02 AM
I didn't find North Thunder from Coalpits to be that bad, however, Class 3-4 is right. It's one of the hardest summits in the Wasatch; harder than Lone Peak, for example, but probably slightly easier than Triangle Peak or the peaks between (but not including) Monte Christo/Superior and Dromedary.

If you are used to class 4 climbs, it will be straight foreward. If you find something like say Lone Peak to be a struggle, North Thunder will be one as well and a bit harder. North Thunder from Coalpits is also less technical than doing the Devils Castle Traverse, but it is more strenuous.

Keep in mind that doing North Thunder and South Thunder in the same day is going to be a long one. I haven't done the Hogum Gulch route, so can't comment on that part. I've been into Hogum from Maybird, but that was on snow and conditions will be completely different now.

BasinCruiser
09-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Thanks Scott. Summiting (doing the scramble at the top) Lone Peak was such a none issue to us, that i didn't realize that others thought it was as bad it was until I read comments one of the other recent threads mentioning that they wouldn't take Scouts or other inexperienced climbers up there do to the technical difficulty and exposure. The thing that got me about Lone Peak was the extreme steepness of the trail on the bottom 3rd of the mountain. Coming back down that, I felt like I was training to try out for Ballet West, walking on top of my toes for what seemed like forever.:shock1: However, surprisingly, the trail was more managable and easier to descend that the 'trail' we took down from the North ridge on Dromedary down to Blanche Lake. That was just sliding slabs of shale rock, steep loose rocks, and soft sliding dirt that all made it very difficult to take a step without our feet sliding out from under which happened several times to the both of us. To top it off, the hill was covered in those thorny thistle weeds, so when we fell, it was right on top of those.:angryfire: