PDA

View Full Version : Using a guide and rap rope off the Sandtrap Sandwich.

sasteve49
09-02-2012, 12:32 PM
We have now done many canyons which in places would require descents into and out of keepers. But using a "Sandtrap Sandwich" has helped tremendously in traversing over these keepers. It is imperative that they are set up correctly to facilitate an easy pull. Remember the cardinal rule of attaching the rap and guide ropes to the BOTTOM Sandtrap only in the flat or "tostada" mode.
So basically you are "stacking" the Sandtraps just like the "old fashioned way" of stacking potshots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbKW5_PIOKU&feature=plcp

SRG
09-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Nice man! :2thumbs: That pothole is burly.

Is the canyon called Pegasus? Where is it? Also, where was your video entitled "pothole mania 2012" filmed?

Gracias,
Sam

moab mark
09-02-2012, 06:37 PM
I haven't stacked Sandtraps before so I have a few questions. Why only tie the rappel strand to the bottom one? I assume the top one is just for more mass? Why are you using the bottom one in Tostado? What about stacking the top one right on the front of the bottom one? Have you got a picture of this trap setup? Thanks for sharing the video. Your videos are always great.

Mark

sasteve49
09-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Nice man! :2thumbs: That pothole is burly.

Is the canyon called Pegasus? Where is it? Also, where was your video entitled "pothole mania 2012" filmed?

Gracias,
Sam

Pothole mania was filmed up in the Escalante area.

sasteve49
09-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Yes Mark, there is a vid posted some time ago. Just search for Sandtrap Sandwich" and it should come up in Bogley, otherwise search Youtube. Tieing the rap and guide to the bottom sandtrap is essential because you have all the weight on this one and only half on the top one only. The purpose of the "Sandwich" is only to make the pull easier.....be careful in the setup. The vid I posted before will show the exact routing of the pull rope. Be Safe out there....

sasteve49
09-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Mark I have never been keen on the 'Taco" for flat surfaces with no lip. Building a sand "berm" in front of the "taco" is not safe. This has been proven with someone actually falling because the sand "berm" is not solid like a lip or rock, especially if the 'trap is not loaded correctly or in a dynamic load situation which simply moves the sand "berm" thereby not providing the same lip friction and protection of a more solid rock. I am constantly refining techniques and uses of the Sandtrap and will share with all for a safe and enjoyable "ghosting" experience in the type of canyons that we most enjoy.....no bolts. Don't get me wrong, we also enjoy bolted routes. In fact tomorrow we are doing Behunin again. Did Icebox and Right Fork in the last few weeks as well as a few Powell canyons....Be safe out there!