PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here a UFC fan?

rockgremlin
08-27-2012, 09:52 AM
OK, which one of you rednecks follow the UFC? There's a pretty good fight this Saturday with John "Bones" Jones clobbering another poor hapless chap.

I'll be watching it on 55" of HD. Who's bringing the popcorn and drinks? I'll provide the steaks....:popcorn:

Errrrrrr.......nevermind......moved to Sept 22nd.

restrac2000
08-27-2012, 11:20 AM
I am just getting into watching. Do you know, is there any pay-per-view option for folks like me whom lack cable or even a TV? Would be willing to pay to see it on my computer, though a measly 27" iMac.

Enjoy.

nefariousdeeds
08-27-2012, 11:22 AM
The fight was cancelled. - Bones Vs. Henderson (hendo pulled his mcl) . Bones was then offered Chael Sonnen, which he declined. Now the fight is with Vitor Belfort on the 22? of Sept?

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-151-cancelled-jon-jones-apologizes-takes-the-blame

rockgremlin
08-27-2012, 11:29 AM
I am just getting into watching. Do you know, is there any pay-per-view option for folks like me whom lack cable or even a TV? Would be willing to pay to see it on my computer, though a measly 27" iMac.

Enjoy.

You can view it live on iPhone and Mac/PC. Just download an app and you're good to go. http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC152/watch

UPDATE: The Jon Jones Fight has been postponed from this Saturday to Saturday, September 22nd. :roll: Damnit!!!

rockgremlin
08-27-2012, 11:31 AM
The fight was cancelled. - Bones Vs. Henderson (hendo pulled his mcl) . Bones was then offered Chael Sonnen, which he declined. Now the fight is with Vitor Belfort on the 22? of Sept?

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-151-cancelled-jon-jones-apologizes-takes-the-blame

Hendo and Sonnen would have been really fun to watch vs. Jones. I think they got "injured" and otherwise declined for good reason. Jones is an unstoppable freight train.

nefariousdeeds
08-27-2012, 01:22 PM
I think Hendo never intended to fight. He looks big time overweight in all of his pre-150 interviews. Sonnen audio and video is always entertaining. In my opinion, with a littttttttle bit more work, Gustavson will be a good fight for JJ.

Deathcricket
08-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Bummer! if only we lived a bit closer. I used to be a huge fan but since I moved to Saint George no one else here is and I got sick of buying PPV and pizza for myself. Haven't seen one in a while.

restrac2000
08-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Does WingNutz in St. George broadcast the fights, DC? They always seem to have something interesting on their big screens but I am not sure if they have a UFC pass. Its one of our escapes from Cedar to be able to have beer and good food together, though the options are finally expanding here.

rockgremlin
08-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Bummer! if only we lived a bit closer. I used to be a huge fan but since I moved to Saint George no one else here is and I got sick of buying PPV and pizza for myself. Haven't seen one in a while.

ROADTRIP!!!

Yeah when I lived in Moab there were a few die-hards that would come together for the ppv events. Here in SLC everybody's like - mehhhh..... :roll:

Deathcricket
08-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Does WingNutz in St. George broadcast the fights, DC? They always seem to have something interesting on their big screens but I am not sure if they have a UFC pass. Its one of our escapes from Cedar to be able to have beer and good food together, though the options are finally expanding here.

No clue. Never been in that place. It's right by my house though, I'll have to go check it out. There is also a Players sports grill and and Iggys sports grill, but not sure if they have it either. Good question!

DiscGo
08-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Shamrock knocks out a woman:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/ken-shamrock-accidentally-scores-knockout-165102044--mma.html

Girl knocked out by Shamrock is "obviously a girl"
http://www.tmz.com/2012/08/27/ken-shamrock-fight-female-accuser-mom-punched-too/

Two things:

1. I miss the days that UFC was a lot more "anything goes". During those days Shamrock was my favorite and arguably the best!

2. That "girl" looks like a dude.

rockgremlin
08-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Two things:

1. I miss the days that UFC was a lot more "anything goes". During those days Shamrock was my favorite and arguably the best!

2. That "girl" looks like a dude.

I think the new rules were added for good reason. In the old days kicks to the head to a downed opponent were ok, along with hits to the back of the head, grabbing the cage, etc, etc, etc. Too many fighters were getting seriously injured. I think a little more civility for the sake of safety is OK.

nefariousdeeds
08-29-2012, 11:54 AM
The rules were added so that the Athletic Commissions would allow the fighting on a regular basis. At first they would secular shows, but in-order for the athletic commissions to main stream it, they really just needed a baseline.

Nut shots
Eye Gouging
Biting
Small Joint Manipulation
Knees to a downed opponent
-- IMO all of these needed to be removed --

Now... the 12 to 6 elbow (what got JJ disqualified from the hammill fight) should be aloud.

What really needs to be looked at with MMA is how the Judges score the fight.

DiscGo
08-29-2012, 07:08 PM
I think the new rules were added for good reason. In the old days kicks to the head to a downed opponent were ok, along with hits to the back of the head, grabbing the cage, etc, etc, etc. Too many fighters were getting seriously injured. I think a little more civility for the sake of safety is OK.

Yeah, I totally get what you are saying and your attitude is the correct attitude and a better sign for humanity that the majority of people seem to feel that way. I guess what I liked about the original UFC was that you knew whomever one really was the toughest because there was (practically) no restraint.