PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Canaan Gap Petroglyphs

wnorton
08-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Finally found it.

I don't know why, but the Canaan Gap has been elusive to me. I've tried many times to find it and never been successful.

Well today that all changed. We did find the panels and enjoyed the exploration and rock art.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wnorton/sets/72157631261264582/

Wade

phxhiker
09-10-2012, 02:09 PM
An interesting place and the pecking of the petroglyphs are some of the deepest I have seen. I found it in 2009. When I went to take a wide angle shot of the main panels I moved to stand on top of some piled rocks only to hear the familiar sound of a rattlesnake staying cool in the pile. Needless to say I jumped about 3 feet away. In a few seconds the rattling stopped and I resumed taking photos then went to the West of the pile of rock and saw the Western Diamondback coiled in a small cave like opening in the rock pile. From there I went on to see the petroglyphs by Smithsonian Butte.

wnorton
09-15-2012, 03:14 AM
Care to share insights on the glyphs on Smithonian? We haven't found them as of yet.

Thanks!
Wade

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.

leanna
01-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Hi Wade, thanks for sharing. Your photography is amazing, and it's really peaked my interest on seeing these petroglyphs myself... I MUST SEE THEM!! Any tips on finding them? Directions? Can't find much online.

Iceaxe
01-12-2015, 04:08 PM
This is the waypoint i have, but I've never been so I don't know how accurate it is.

37.03020 N, -113.10280 W

If you go post back :-)

oldno7
01-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Care to share insights on the glyphs on Smithonian? We haven't found them as of yet.

Thanks!
Wade

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.

Do you know where "Yellowman" is?
That is the only one I've found around Smithsonian.