PDA

View Full Version : Conditions Kolob October 12th

Chanobelli
08-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Has any one done Kolob in October and have any conditions or info in to how much daylight you had. Our group has 5 people and we are thinking of trying to do Kolob and out through the Narrows in one day rather then the MIA exit, any thoughts? We plan on starting in the dark and we're just wondering if anyone else has done it so we really have an idea of how much time it will take us.

Thanks.

Felicia
08-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Here is an October trip: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/dan0810kolob/pages/day1/

Chanobelli
08-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the trip report.

Iceaxe
08-26-2012, 02:28 PM
I've done Kolob in October. There was snow in the shade up high. There was ice in the canyon. Some of the pools had a thin layer of ice at the edges. I wore a dry suit and was plenty warm, others wore 5 and 7 mm wet suits with hoods and said it wasn't bad.

Out the Narrows in a day that time of year is not realistic for most. Its a long ass haul from the MIA exit to the Narrows.... and then you still have to hike out the Narrows.

Sent using Tapatalk

Chanobelli
08-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks Iceaxe for the info. That was one of my main concerns is trying to make that haul in a short day late in the season. Question for you how long should it take on average to complete Kolob via the MIA exit?

Iceaxe
08-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Expect 8 to 10 hours using the MIA. 8 hours is for an experianced team that has exited the MIA before.

FWIW: The Narrows exit is 12 to 15 hours, but there is no route finding once you reach the first rappel in Kolob.