PDA

View Full Version : Poaching fines in Zion

Deathcricket
08-24-2012, 02:30 PM
In case anyone is curious, the fine for poaching a canyon in Zion is $175. It is assigned to one member of the party and they are even allowed to vote on who that is. This is readily admitting to the park ranger and not giving them any trouble, being nice. They might have a bit more leeway if you give them a hard time and make their job difficult, not sure. Assuming you have 10 people in your group and decide to split it that is less than $18 a person. Good friends give $20's

I've seen a lot of mis-info on the subject and the other thread reminded me, haha. :2thumbs:

Pelon1
08-25-2012, 04:48 AM
Maybe you should put an ad in the newspaper, "Sick of getting screwed by the rigged Subway permit system? Go down the subway with me for a $20 fine contingency fee (minimum 10 people). LOL

ratagonia
08-25-2012, 08:11 AM
In case anyone is curious, the fine for poaching a canyon in Zion is $175. It is assigned to one member of the party and they are even allowed to vote on who that is. This is readily admitting to the park ranger and not giving them any trouble, being nice. They might have a bit more leeway if you give them a hard time and make their job difficult, not sure. Assuming you have 10 people in your group and decide to split it that is less than $18 a person. Good friends give $20's

I've seen a lot of mis-info on the subject and the other thread reminded me, haha. :2thumbs:

What's your source?

Tom

Deathcricket
08-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Maybe you should put an ad in the newspaper, "Sick of getting screwed by the rigged Subway permit system? Go down the subway with me for a $20 fine contingency fee (minimum 10 people). LOL

Hahaha profit!!!! See that's just the problem though. In time, multiple violations may increase the fine size. I guess only time will tell. :2thumbs:

EvergreenDean
08-27-2012, 08:18 PM
What's your source?

Tom

??? Still waiting. I like canyons, hate permits, have (almost) nine friends and $20. Need some confirmation. Reminds me of the first time I got ticketed $20 for a random violation in Mexico. I offered the cop another $20 in advance because I fully intended to commit the crime again.

Deathcricket
08-28-2012, 08:39 AM
??? Still waiting. I like canyons, hate permits, have (almost) nine friends and $20. Need some confirmation. Reminds me of the first time I got ticketed $20 for a random violation in Mexico. I offered the cop another $20 in advance because I fully intended to commit the crime again. Oh sorry. I only thought Tom was waiting, and he can wait for as long as I say. But you sir! How dare you not take me at my word! :)

Hopefully I've covered up enough faces to keep the innocent parties anonymous. :2thumbs:

DiscGo
08-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Speaking as the guy on the ground in this picture, I can confirm what DC has said is true :D

Scott Card
08-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Speaking as the guy on the ground in this picture, I can confirm what DC has said is true :D
:lol8:

Iceaxe
08-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Hahaha.... you got caught.... hahaha...

I'm so far ahead of the permit fee curve they would have to ding me pretty hard to even break back even.... I'm a f**kin' super canyon ninja...

Sent using Tapatalk

DiscGo
08-28-2012, 12:04 PM
H

I'm so far ahead of the permit fee curve they would have to ding me pretty hard to even break back even.... I'm a f**kin' super canyon ninja...

:roflol:

Iceaxe
08-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Not that I'd ever consider poaching a canyon.... but if I did......

A helpful Guide.... to Poaching Canyons (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?35904)

:cool2:

Brian in SLC
08-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Poaching Pine Creek? That's like shoplifting a gumball...

Iceaxe
08-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Poaching Pine Creek? That's like shoplifting a gumball...

nelsonccc
08-28-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm a f**kin' super canyon ninja...

I thought I was the Canyon Ninja?

JONBOYLEMON
08-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Seriously, they cuff you and put you face down on a road for poachin a canyon! Looks like my run in with park cops went very well looking at those pics.

Deathcricket
08-28-2012, 06:04 PM
They only put you in cuffs if you try to convert them to Mormanism. I believe the exact words were "One more bible verse and ya gets the peppa spray!"

spinesnaper
08-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Those Zions rangers are all right: "Put the Pirahna down slowly and back away from the rope bag." When canyons are outlawed, only outlaws will be canyoneers. Its enough to make you a tea bagger.:haha:

chabidiah
08-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Those Zions rangers are all right: "Put the Pirahna down slowly and back away from the rope bag." When canyons are outlawed, only outlaws will be canyoneers. Its enough to make you a tea bagger.:haha:
depends on who is baggin:lol8:

ratagonia
08-29-2012, 07:04 AM

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the fine is always the same. The citing ranger has considerable latitude in what the fine is, and how it is allocated to the group. After several incidents, it is possible you will be banned from the Park.

Tom

Scott P
08-29-2012, 07:08 AM
After several incidents, it is possible you will be banned from the Park.

It does happen. Some people have been banned from parks. I believe Fatali has been banned from at least three national parks, but I guess that's another story.

Iceaxe
08-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Don't make the mistake of thinking that the fine is always the same. The citing ranger has considerable latitude in what the fine is, and how it is allocated to the group.

Actually I believe the fine for a specific ticket is the same. Where the latitude comes is in exactly what ticket is issued and how many. The ranger could cite everyone in the group individually, but they tend to try and zero in on the ring leader... or I could be wrong...

Sent using Tapatalk

EvergreenDean
08-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Hahaha.... you got caught.... hahaha...

Sent using Tapatalk

Seriously, the first time I've laughed out loud on Bogley. Thanks Shane. I've still never been shut down on a permit so no need to test this for now.

Iceaxe
06-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Bump... for those playing the home version of pin the permit on the donkey.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3