PDA

View Full Version : New User to Drop Box and digital cloud

restrac2000
08-21-2012, 03:16 PM
I have been trying to increase both efficiency and creating redundancy in my digital efforts after I lost a pivotal research paper this last spring. In that process I stumbled across the "Drop Box (https://www.dropbox.com/)" option. Are there any other users of this software and cloud-like feature? If so, any ways to maximize its potential, hidden features, security issues, etc? Seems like a brilliant option thus far and just started using it.

Thoughts?
Phillip

jdgibney
08-21-2012, 03:20 PM
I have been trying to increase both efficiency and creating redundancy in my digital efforts after I lost a pivotal research paper this last spring. In that process I stumbled across the "Drop Box (https://www.dropbox.com/)" option. Are there any other users of this software and cloud-like feature? If so, any ways to maximize its potential, hidden features, security issues, etc? Seems like a brilliant option thus far and just started using it.

Thoughts?
Phillip

I use dropbox (free version, up to 2GB I think?) to share stuff between all of my devices, though I don't store a lot on there at any one time. It is great to send stuff between devices easily...

restrac2000
08-21-2012, 03:35 PM
I work between my wife's laptop and my desktop all the time. This has made it much easier to work on items and files on multiple platforms.

One of the coolest features I have seen is the auto-update which doesn't require you to constantly download a newer versions. As you make changes its instantaneous across all the platforms, and users if you have a shared folder. Seems like a great way to collaborate across the internet.

Sombeech
08-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Drop box is good because of the mobile apps too, but windows live will give you 7 GB for free with apps to bring those files to your phone as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

restrac2000
08-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Will look into Windows Live, thanks for the recommendation.

Felicia
08-21-2012, 09:16 PM
I've been trying to adapt to the iCloud. I have my iPhone and iPad up and running, but my laptop may be too old. I like having access to all my apps, music, pictures and audiobooks.

accadacca
08-21-2012, 09:46 PM
I've been trying to adapt to the iCloud. I have my iPhone and iPad up and running, but my laptop may be too old. I like having access to all my apps, music, pictures and audiobooks.
I use iCloud too to keep my apple devices backed up. My Mac computers are too old to use the feature too. I use Time Machine to an external hard drive and in the cloud using a service called Carbonite.

I have used drop box and it's slick. Lately I have been using the new "Google Drive" cloud tool. This is my new favorite for doc backup. They've changed their "google docs" tool/name to "google drive" and added features. :2thumbs: