PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Columbia River Gorge

moab mark
08-06-2012, 05:03 PM
My buddy Tad wanted to head up to the Portland area to do some Canyoneering with his Son before he headed out on his Mission. We had never been up there so we thought it sounded like a great adventure. My 11 year old Kaden and I headed up and met Tads whole family. The Canyons in that area are like nothing I have ever done before. We had a great time. I tried to embed my picasa but could not make it work. Here is the link. It was hard to keep water drops off the lense so some of the pictures are a bit fuzzy.

https://plus.google.com/photos/115103071727329383790/albums#photos/115103071727329383790/albums/5773700336988754321

ghawk
08-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Those look like a blast. So pretty too! Some of those wet west coast canyons look so awesome. I need to get out there some time. :2thumbs: :hail2thechief:

ratagonia
08-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Awesome. Some good stuff up there, good on ya guys.

Tom

Scott Card
08-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Sweet photos. Lucky kids...

utswell
08-07-2012, 05:26 AM
Wow! It is different up there. Very nice Mark! :haha:

oldno7
08-07-2012, 06:05 AM
Nice, Mark:2thumbs:

BasinCruiser
08-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Awesome pics.:2thumbs:. Looks like a great time.

I've had my eye on canyoning that area for a while, myself. My wife and I have been up in that area several times, hiking, all along the gorge and around Mt. Hood. I found descriptions of several canyons (some of which I've hiked) on the canyoneeringnorthwest page.

May I ask which ones you did? Some of those looks like Eagle Creek (that bridge looks familiar, and those look like punchbowl falls).

I've been contemplating on going up there in the next couple of weeks. Looks like a great time.

moab mark
08-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Awesome pics.:2thumbs:. Looks like a great time.

I've had my eye on canyoning that area for a while, myself. My wife and I have been up in that area several times, hiking, all along the gorge and around Mt. Hood. I found descriptions of several canyons (some of which I've hiked) on the canyoneeringnorthwest page.

May I ask which ones you did? Some of those looks like Eagle Creek (that bridge looks familiar, and those look like punchbowl falls).

I've been contemplating on going up there in the next couple of weeks. Looks like a great time.

Eagle Creek and Bridal Veil Falls. If I did Bridal Veil Falls again I would try to drop in earlier then 1.3 miles up the dirt road. It is really steep getting in but I would try around 1 mile. We wanted to do Munra (sp) creek but I hurt my shoulder so we were done. We slid off the Punch Bowl waterfall in Eagle Creek and I hit wrong.:angryfire: Great time.

One other thing I wore my 5 10's but I would probably wear my felt bottom fishing shoes next time. Bridal was not to slick but Eagle was. Some were wearing running shoes and they struggled.

I would recommend this trip to everyone. It is well worth the drive.

Slot Machine
08-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Wow that looks like a great time! Nice photos! :2thumbs:

ratagonia
08-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Eagle Creek and Bridal Veil Falls. If I did Bridal Veil Falls again I would try to drop in earlier then 1.3 miles up the dirt road. It is really steep getting in but I would try around 1 mile. We wanted to do Munra (sp) creek but I hurt my shoulder so we were done. We slid off the Punch Bowl waterfall in Eagle Creek and I hit wrong.:angryfire: Great time.

One other thing I wore my 5 10's but I would probably wear my felt bottom fishing shoes next time. Bridal was not to slick but Eagle was. Some were wearing running shoes and they struggled.

I would recommend this trip to everyone. It is well worth the drive.

Your gang jump Punchbowl Falls, then?

T

wnorton
08-07-2012, 03:20 PM
My buddy Tad wanted to head up to the Portland area to do some Canyoneering with his Son before he headed out on his Mission. We had never been up there so we thought it sounded like a great adventure. My 11 year old Kaden and I headed up and met Tads whole family. The Canyons in that area are like nothing I have ever done before. We had a great time. I tried to embed my picasa but could not make it work. Here is the link. It was hard to keep water drops off the lense so some of the pictures are a bit fuzzy.

https://plus.google.com/photos/115103071727329383790/albums#photos/115103071727329383790/albums/5773700336988754321

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.

moab mark
08-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Your gang jump Punchbowl Falls, then?

T
Prior to getting to the Punch Bowl Tad and I were planning on rappeling. The three boys wanted to do the slide over the edge. When we got there the guy in the picture was getting ready to go over. A skinny little teenage girl in her string bikini was standing there and said she had just come up to do it again. So we all decided if they can survive so can we. Everyone survived but me. It took the guy in the picture 10 minutes to get up the nerve to go over. It was quite a drop. We just laid down and let the water take us.

nathandonny
08-10-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm planning on doing Eagle Creek in September, it looks amazing! Do you have any other advice besides the shoes? How thick of a wetsuit did you use and what were the conditions of the anchors?

Thanks!

moab mark
08-12-2012, 07:34 AM
I'm planning on doing Eagle Creek in September, it looks amazing! Do you have any other advice besides the shoes? How thick of a wetsuit did you use and what were the conditions of the anchors?

Thanks!
We had a variety of wetsuits from 5-4 to 3-2 my sons feet got a bit cold but other then that everyone seemed fine. He was wearing 2 mil socks with wool underneath. I wore my 4 mil socks and wool and was very toasty. Anchors are not a problem there are trees everywhere. The last rappel in Eagle Creek is bolted.

Mark

moab mark
08-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Here is are video from the trip. Where you see the guy with the wet suit down to his waist that is when Eagle Creek starts. First part is a bit shaky but it gets better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmcHL9y0AXI&feature=em-share_video_user

moab mark
01-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Bump: Tom the BIG Black Boy went before we went over. The only reason he finally went is my 11 year old kept calling him a sissy.

ratagonia
01-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Bump: Tom the BIG Black Boy went before we went over. The only reason he finally went is my 11 year old kept calling him a sissy.

Cool! and :roflol: nothing like a kid calling him out!!!

We rapped from bolts on the left, though I think some jumped from the rock on the left into the white foam where the fall hits the water.

Tom

moab mark
01-08-2013, 06:23 PM
We just let the current take us over.

taatmk
01-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Sweet! I am up that way at least once a year or so. Never have stopped here. May just have to do it next time up. Beautiful pictures, beautiful area.

gingerproblems
01-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Two words: FREAKING AWESOME!

Pubalz
02-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Where can i find some beta for that canyon?

moab mark
02-09-2013, 07:11 PM
http://canyoneeringnorthwest.com/