PDA

View Full Version : VoIP - Home Phone Service via Internet

Pfrosty
08-02-2012, 07:47 AM
I was just browsing a previous thread about who you use for Internet service and got me thinking about how much I love my VoIP system. If you have never heard of OOMA, you need to check it out. I bought into it 2 years ago and paid $200 on Amazon for their system which gives me unlimited long distance calling, voice mail, call waiting, caller ID... The best part is that there are no monthly fees outside of the taxes I pay which are just over $3/mth. May be a little spendy upfront but nothing outside of taxes for years to come.

As far as internet goes, I subscribe to Comcast, their cheapest DSL service at $30/mth which has been fine for all my internet, phone and streaming content through my DVD player for movies, pandora and such.

Any other VoIP systems out there that you have liked?

Sombeech
08-02-2012, 10:58 AM
My parents seem satisfied with Magic Jack, but then again they were satisfied with dial up internet until 2 years ago. I'm thinking of grabbing one.

restrac2000
08-02-2012, 11:07 AM
I just use my gmail account when I need to make calls. Free and you can choose a phone number.

Pfrosty
08-02-2012, 02:01 PM
The difference with OOMA over magic jack or gmail is that it does not require a computer. It basically plugs right into your modem and then you can plug your wireless home phone system into it. It also gives you the ability to check voicemail online if you are away from home. You can choose from a short list of phone numbers or port your current line over.

restrac2000
08-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Curious....why would you have a modem and no computer? Wouldn't you still have to pay for internet access for the modem?

Not the most savvy at these things so I am curious.

Pfrosty
08-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Sure I have computers. Computers are unnecessary for Ooma unlike a system like MagicJack or gmail talk or Skype that forces you to keep a computer on 100% of the time to receive calls. Since you are already paying for internet access, might as well maximize your investment by getting phone service out of it.

The way it is set up is modem hooks to cloud, Ooma hooks to modem, home phone hooks to Ooma. I also have a wireless router hooked to the modem and my pc's, Wii, BlueRay player get the internet wirelessly.

More info @: http://www.ooma.com/

restrac2000
08-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks for clarifying.

Sombeech
08-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Magic Jack does not require a computer, you can connect it to the router so it's completely independent of computer power scheduling.

It will need to be plugged into a power outlet though.

Bluff-Canyoneer
08-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Magic Jack does not require a computer, you can connect it to the router so it's completely independent of computer power scheduling.

It will need to be plugged into a power outlet though.

Just to clarify, the "old" MagicJack plugs into a USB port and requires the computer to be running to make/receive calls. The "new" MagicJack Plus can plug into your router and an AC wall outlet for power. It does not require a computer.

One bummer of MagicJack is that customer service is pretty much non-existent if you have a problem.

DiscGo
08-05-2012, 03:27 PM
My brother had MagicJack and hated it. I have OOMA and the call quality is inconsistent. Sometimes it works great, and other times it doesn't. I am hoping it is my actually phone receiver and not OOMA's fault but I haven't tried a different head set yet. I have had OOMA since last December or so. It hasn't been so bad that I have bothered getting a different handset yet, but it hasn't been as good as a normal land line either.

Iceaxe
08-05-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would still have a home phone?

I do, but the only reason I do is for my home office. And that phone is forwarded to my cell 90% of the time. If not for that we would be 100% cell.

Sent using Tapatalk

SlickRock
08-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Home alarm requires land line. Otherwise I'd get rid of it too.

Iceaxe
08-05-2012, 05:31 PM
So if I'm breaking into a home with an alarm I want to first cut the phone line? Just curious....

Sent using Tapatalk

restrac2000
08-05-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would still have a home phone?

I do, but the only reason I do is for my home office. And that phone is forwarded to my cell 90% of the time. If not for that we would be 100% cell.

Sent using Tapatalk

I am going to back to a homeline, or similar, for multiple reasons. I don't like the "obligations", for lack of better word, that cell phones create. All too often people believe that when you have a cell phone you should answer and interact at all times. Has created some awkwardness. Two, it is becoming harder and harder to just have a cell phone without internet access. I obviously use the net enough that I don't need to access it on the road as well.

Then again I gave up my personal cell phone years ago. With google talk I can have a free home #. I make few enough calls nowadays anyways.

Phillip

DiscGo
08-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Ooma does not require a computer and never has (to the best of my knowledge), but all models have MagicJack have required a computer except for MagicJack plus.

With Ooma it goes Modem to Ooma, and Ooma to router. Which double NATs your router. If you understand what that means then it will likely bug you. If you don't know what DoubleNatting is then you won't mind.