PDA

View Full Version : My Editorial

Scott P
08-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Editorial sent to the newspaper concerning hiking/climbing to be only and adrenalin junkie sport:

Not just for Adrenalin Junkies

Often times it seems that there is a misconception that hiking and climbing, including the 14ers in Colorado is just an activity for the young and adrenalin junkies. It is sometime thought of as a reckless and dangerous sport.

Nothing can be farther from the truth. The truth is that hiking and climbing the 14ers is a great family activity for climbers of a wide range of ages and abilities. Some of my most treasured memories are of hiking though the wilderness with my small children and senior citizen parents and grandparents.

Every time an accident happens in the mountains, it seems to get nation-wide media attention, but it is true that mountains such as the Colorado 14ers are ascended by many thousands of people without incident. The vast majority of hikes and climbs end up being happy and safe experiences.

Climbing the 14ers can be done by people with a large range of ages and abilities, but of most importance is proper preparation. With proper preparation, the risk of climbing mountains can be minimized, but not completely eliminated.

That said, hiking and climbing is actually a very healthy activity, especially in today

Deathcricket
08-02-2012, 10:37 AM
I think you said "proper preparation" one too many times and didn't cover what that actually was. But overall I think you did a great job man. Kudos and hope you get some traction. :2thumbs:

Scott Card
08-02-2012, 01:52 PM
:2thumbs: